Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #16 (Read 37 times)

Cyberic

Ha yes. You could get a job in IT tech support.  How’s your Windows 10 doing? 

MTA: posted in the tech support forum.

MTA2: maybe I should try clearing my browser history; that’s the other thing IT tech support would tell me.

With what you've tried so far, a change in DNS would definitely be the next step to try, but you can also wait it out and it will probably fix itself in a couple of hours.

LRB

yeah, I almost wish I could watch it instead of run it!  but I am totally excited to run it too!

Is it a looped course this year?

onemile

Is it a looped course this year?

it is like one big loop.

LRB

it is like one big loop.

In '12 it was like a 5 ot 6 mile loop run multiple times. This way, you just run your ass off at the word go and won't have to think about it mentally.

Say hi to Sara and Molly for me! Of course I could've registered and done it myself, but I couldn't see past NY. 

onemile

In '12 it was like a 5 ot 6 mile loop run multiple times. This way, you just run your ass off at the word go and won't have to think about it mentally.

Say hi to Sara and Molly for me! Of course I could've registered and done it myself, but I couldn't see past NY. 

you were totally FOCUSED. Not a bad thing at all.

DavePNW

With what you've tried so far, a change in DNS would definitely be the next step to try, but you can also wait it out and it will probably fix itself in a couple of hours.

I just cleared browser history and it did nothing. I would not have the first clue how to change DNS, and it’s nothing I’ve ever had to do so it’s kind of weird if that’s the solution.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

When the tryouts were in Houston, it was the day before the marathon and the route was run backwards if I remember. Or something different than the marathon, like the loops LRB mentioned (I don't recall). A friend of mine spectated that day and then ran the marathon herself.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

Should I chain myself to my windows 7 work computer? I don't want 10, it kept messing things up when o was briefly upgraded.

LRB

When the tryouts were in Houston, it was the day before the marathon and the route was run backwards if I remember. Or something different than the marathon, like the loops LRB mentioned (I don't recall). A friend of mine spectated that day and then ran the marathon herself.

Maybe it was the half marathon, I'm not sure, but there were regular people running on the course with the elites, that's why I thought it was so cool.

DavePNW

Should I chain myself to my windows 7 work computer? I don't want 10, it kept messing things up when o was briefly upgraded.

I was one of the last holdouts at my company. Generally no change is good. But eventually you’ll be forced to succumb. 

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

I was one of the last holdouts at my company. Generally no change is good. But eventually you’ll be forced to succumb. 

Yea, like very soon. It didn't work last time, so it would be nice if those doing it would communicate with some other departments about things I use.

Cyberic

I just cleared browser history and it did nothing. I would not have the first clue how to change DNS, and it’s nothing I’ve ever had to do so it’s kind of weird if that’s the solution.

Every Internet connected device needs a DNS server to map a domain name ("runningahead.com") to an IP address (204.12.34.123), because Internet actually works with IP adresses, but humans prefer to use domain names.

So your Internet Service Provider (ISP) has a DNS server, and it is automatically (unless you change it manually) pushed to your device. So when you connect your phone to WiFi, you get to use the DNS server of your ISP, and your device uses that DNS server to "translate" runningahead.com to its IP address.

DNS servers have "caches", with a Time To Live (TTL) on each of their records. So let's say it's a freshly booted DNS server with an empty cache, you will ask your DNS server to look for runningahead.com. It doesn't have it in its cache so it will  query for the IP address (to another DNS server) and when it gets the result, it will send it to you, and put it in its own cache, so next time you ask it will be able to send it to you right away.

Now, if the cached value gets invalid for a reason (not frequent but it happens), it will return to you the wrong IP address until the TTL on its cache expires, and it will then query for the IP address anew.

So if it's a DNS issue, it should resolve itself with time.

LRB

Every Internet connected device needs a DNS server to map a domain name ("runningahead.com") to an IP address (204.12.34.123), because Internet actually works with IP adresses, but humans prefer to use domain names.

So your Internet Service Provider (ISP) has a DNS server, and it is automatically (unless you change it manually) pushed to your device. So when you connect your phone to WiFi, you get to use the DNS server of your ISP, and your device uses that DNS server to "translate" runningahead.com to its IP address.

DNS servers have "caches", with a Time To Live (TTL) on each of their records. So let's say it's a freshly booted DNS server with an empty cache, you will ask your DNS server to look for runningahead.com. It doesn't have it in its cache so it will  query for the IP address (to another DNS server) and when it gets the result, it will send it to you, and put it in its own cache, so next time you ask it will be able to send it to you right away.

Now, if the cached value gets invalid for a reason (not frequent but it happens), it will return to you the wrong IP address until the TTL on its cache expires, and it will then query for the IP address anew.

So if it's a DNS issue, it should resolve itself with time.

Whenever I see DNS, I think of my marathon in 2013. 

onemile

Whenever I see DNS, I think of my marathon in 2013. 

lol

Half Crazy K 2.0

Cyberic,  I actually understand that. To me, that's the sign of a great IT guy, you can make non IT folks understand.