Beginners and Beyond

Exercise and depression (Read 84 times)

Hip Redux

Probably not a surprise for anyone, but I thought this was interesting:

Linky

RSX

That keeps me off psych meds but tough when I have a bad injury

happylily

I think that as human beings, we were designed to be both active mentally and physically. If you take an individual and lock him up in a room without any human contact for 5 years, just food and water, it will be hard for that person to not come out of the room 5 years later, without any kind of mental distress. The same goes for physical stimulation. If a person becomes sedentary to an excess, depression will set in. These inactive people may not realize it, but their behavior will become destructive more often than not. Brain and body stimulation are as important to us as water and air. The more we stay stimulated, the happier we are.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Just B.S.

Running has helped me survive menopause without killing someone.Big grin

Just B.S.

Running has helped me survive menopause without killing someone (so far).Big grin

happylily

Running has made Beth repeat herself. Or is it menopause? Big grin

Zelanie

Maybe she was reconsidering her position on killing someone. Smile

happylily

I think we should all watch our back when Beth is around. Big grin

Just B.S.

I think we should all watch our back when Beth is around. Big grin

Nah the 2nd part was age. I'm old too remember what I did 5 seconds ago. Then again

that's a menopause symptom too.

But you never know. It's the innocent looking ones you always have to look out for.

Dad on the run.

Running pulled me out of a very serious slump that I found myself in after a little over a year of being unemployed and it continues to help me mentally.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

RSX

Good thing I got out of her area alive. I'm rethinking contacting her now next time I head there.

happylily

Nah the 2nd part was age. I'm old too remember what I did 5 seconds ago. Then again

that's a menopause symptom too.

But you never know. It's the innocent looking ones you always have to look out for.

I'm sorry, but anyone who can run a 4:12 marathon on no real training is definitely NOT old. Smile Maybe just crazy... Big grin

TxDiverMom

Running has made Beth repeat herself. Or is it menopause? Big grin

I think we're about the same age and I 2nd that statement!!!  Oh wait!  Beth already did!

Hip Redux

I think that as human beings, we were designed to be both active mentally and physically. If you take an individual and lock him up in a room without any human contact for 5 years, just food and water, it will be hard for that person to not come out of the room 5 years later, without any kind of mental distress. The same goes for physical stimulation. If a person becomes sedentary to an excess, depression will set in. These inactive people may not realize it, but their behavior will become destructive more often than not. Brain and body stimulation are as important to us as water and air. The more we stay stimulated, the happier we are.

The mental/intellectual piece is important too.   Good point.

kittenkat

The c word is repulsive

My husband turned round to me a few weeks ago and said that he thought that without running I'd be dead. Which really actually shocked me but he might be right, it certainly has brought me through the bad times.