Beginners and Beyond

My first duathlon RR (warning: contains some cycling content) (Read 111 times)

delicate flower

Thanks for all the comments!  Feeling pretty beat up today.

Scotty, I just did all the rehab they told me to do.  I followed instructions, so here I am.  Based on what I hear at the PT office, It sounds like not everyone does that.

Oski, I missed everyone too.  Going as a group is definitely more fun.  When I crossed the finish line, I had nobody to high five or talk to.

Docket, I will definitely do more of these.  This race was a really tough one for a debut, so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do in an easier race.

jjs22, I've done several "brick" workouts (bike then run back to back), so I knew what to expect.  My legs felt pretty much how I expected them to feel, which was tired, heavy, but ok.

Just B.S., I still don't have an itch to add swimming, so it'll continue to be duathlons for me for now.  Honestly, I just don't feel like adding one more thing I have to train for.

LRB, I don't know about top 5, but I certainly think I have a lot of room to improve.  I have never really trained on the bike to race, so I think I can gain a lot of ground there.  The running will get faster if I just keep doing what I'm doing.

B-Plus, same medal for everyone, which is fine.  They can't really make different medals for 50 duathletes.  Difficulty-wise, I don't think the du and the tri are much different.

bluesky, Lauren, workinprogress, Ric-G, Awood - Thank you!!

<3

YAYpril - B-Plus

Great RR - I really enjoyed reading it. Nice job!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Congrats on the Duathalon! It sounds like a really fun event.

- Andrew

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Awesome job!  I can't believe the recovery you've made, and have to guess that all these summer races are fun that you didn't think you were going to get to have either.  That's really tough to come off all that climbing on the bike and then hop right into the run.  I was impressed that you picked it back up after the 10:00 mile in the second run - shows good heart!  Nice race.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

delicate flower

Awesome job!  I can't believe the recovery you've made, and have to guess that all these summer races are fun that you didn't think you were going to get to have either.  That's really tough to come off all that climbing on the bike and then hop right into the run.  I was impressed that you picked it back up after the 10:00 mile in the second run - shows good heart!  Nice race.

Thanks...the hardest hills of both runs were in that 4th mile of the second run.  At one point during that mile I was seriously contemplating walking.  But I just kept chugging along.  At one point my Garmin read an 11:30 lap pace.  Urgh.  Once I got past the steepest hills, my pace picked back up.

<3

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Nice job on your du debut! As others say, you could be the poster boy for injury rehab. What a journey! I used to bike and now I run. These types of reports make me want to break out the bike again.

happylily

Excellent work in two disciplines! You ranked well, congrats!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Philliefan33

Great job!

Great job, Phil.

They put a Mr. Fusion in your knee, didn't they?  Seriously though, amazing results after an amazing recovery.

First of all... Baboon, congratulations.  That's impressive stuff.  I hope you also look into swimming.  I never swam a day in my life (or a lap in a pool) until I signed up for my first sprint triathlon in 2009.  I had about 8 weeks to figure it out.  After that 1st race, I was hooked.

Regarding Just BS's post below.... I'd fully agree.  If I would've known triathlons were so fun, I would've started YEARS ago.  I'll never go back to being a "runner only".  The multi-sport races are awesome!

Why wait? You should do it. All the cool kids are. Big grin

I have to 100% honestly say that for me  tri's are way more just plain fun, feeling like a kid, having a

blast , than running only races.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life