Beginners and Beyond

Sunday Penguins - It's Just A Flesh Wound! (Read 30 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Hello Penguins!

Bin - as the Black Knight from Monty Python would say "It's just a flesh wound!" I'm sure the cut will heal quickly.

Congrats to Dave on his 50 K and to oldfatslow on the 5K race!

Friday I did a 4.3 mole recovery run. I ran it about 1 minute and 20 seconds slower than my usual pace. I wanted to feel fresh for yesterday's run. Well that recovery run killed me - I didn't feel refreshed, my legs hurt, my knees hurt, my back hurt, and I felt stiff. Saturday's run was supposed to be a 15 mile attempt. It wound up being only 10. Looking over the Garmin info from the run my pace was within range but it felt really hard and my breathing was a lot harder.  Honestly if I would have done the recovery run at my regular pace I believe I would have been better off. I feel the slower pace is what does me in. I don't really do recovery runs but thought I would give it a try. Maybe I should just do 2 miles at regular pace next time.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Bin Running

Morning Gustav. I hope you are right and that cut heal perfectly. Finger crossed. I read that walking does helps recovery too.

No running today and I removed the silly cotton patch in my forehead. Picture in yday thread for those missing it. Had a good lunch today. Buffet in a nice restaurant to celebrate parents birthday. Both if them are Dec babies.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Robert31320

Team TJ

Good morning Penguins.

I got in a short run this morning.  Getting ready for church now.

Have a great day everyone!

Running for TJ because he can't.

LRB

Friday I did a 4.3 mole recovery run. I ran it about 1 minute and 20 seconds slower than my usual pace. I wanted to feel fresh for yesterday's run. Well that recovery run killed me...

Yeah 80 seconds may have been a bit much.  I just run at easy effort (not pace), which can vary within a full minute on its own on any given day depending on what I did the day before, or week of.

When you try to run at easy pace (as opposed to effort) you may find yourself struggling to keep up the day after a long run or intervals let's say.  As it is, we are nothing without experimentation and there is nothing wrong with that.

Hope you rebound quickly.  Have a good day peeps!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Woke up with a migraine so I'll try my LR tonight.  No time to do 15 tonight, so plan is 10-15 and see how much I end up with.  Last night's 8 went really well, so I hope this one does as well.

Gustav, remember, pace should be an effort, so maybe you thought you were running it at recovery pace but that day it was too fast?  I have never heard a slower pace making one more tired.  I run with hubby which is close to 3mm slower per mile than my usual and run 3 hours with him without feeling tired at all.  Food for thought.

Bin, hope the bump recovers quickly.

Robert, nice run.  Enjoy your day.  How's TJ doing today?

LRB, well said.

Damaris

PADRunner

Morning Pengs! 8 long for me this morning. Going out wasn't to bad coming back against a 10 mi head wind was COLD @ 32.

GinnyinPA

Gustav - maybe the recovery run hurt because you were trying too hard to restrain yourself.  Instead of running relaxed, you tensed up to keep your pace what your mind thought it should be.

Bin - enjoy your parents birthday celebration.  In my family there were a lot of couples who married people born the same month:  my parents were both born in May, my aunt and uncle in December, my brother and SIL in August, and my other brother and SIL in January.

Robert - good job getting your run in early.

Hi LRB!

Damaris - I hope your migraine passes quickly so you can enjoy your Sunday.  How is Trixie doing today?

Mitch - re: yesterday's question:  I've hiked the length of the Smokies on the AT, but none of the side trails.  That sounds like a good challenge though.  Just watch out for bears.

AFM:  It's raining but warm outside, so I may wait to see if the rain stops and then run outside or maybe just go to the TM.  The local running club is doing a Christmas Lights run this evening that sounds like fun, but I'm so slow I'm not sure I can keep up.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ginny, sleeping and has not eaten.  So, force feeding is coming soon.  She is crying for attention though and purring like a kitty.

Damaris

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning Gus, Bin, Robert, LRB, D, PAD, and Ginny.  URD, back spasms are back.  Guess I'll have to do some shopping anyway.

Enjoy the long(er) day !!!

Philliefan33

Good afternoon everyone.   Five miles done in the balmy 65 degree weather. 

Did any of you hear about the Facebook event "Three for Marie"?  It was an invitation to run three miles this weekend for a runner named Marie who was hit by a car last week. I don't know her, but she lIves near our mountain house and I heard about the event through a runner I know up there. It was a hit and run.  From the posts it sounds like Marie will be out of the hospital by Christmas. 

Anyway, there were over two hundred runners who pledged to run three miles for Marie.  Some were from Indiana, even some overseas.  I just wondered if any of you got linked to the event through your runner community.   It's sort of neat how fast/far a message can be spread through social media. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I never heard of it.  Link, please?

Damaris

Philliefan33

Let's see if this works:

Run Three for Marie

Ran 3 easy miles today in the wet warm slop. Didn't fall, so no flesh wounds.
                              Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Five miles for me. No flesh wounds, either!