Beginners and Beyond

Brewers Mini Marathon RR - PR (Read 75 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Awesome job! Your debut marathon wouldn't happen to be the Monumental Marathon on November 2, would it? I'm just seeing is there is a chance I might run into any forumites, but I am running the half.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

outoftheblue

Very nice race, great splits.   I'm glad you included the description of the wheel-chair racer, and that she eventually made it up the hill.  It's those moments that make races so special.

Life is good.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

It is the Monumental.  I ran the half last year.  It was my first, and I loved it.  My wife is running the half this year.  If I learned anything last year, it was to book our stay for 2 nights.  It broke my heart to leave Indianapolis without having a night out on the town after the race.  We had to go from the finish line back to the hotel to check out.  Booooo.  So, we're staying Friday and Saturday this year.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

outoftheblue - That was something I had never witnessed before, and it sure made my efforts seem small in comparison.  I can't imagine powering through those hills with my arms, and I'm a former powerlifter.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job!  Congratulations!

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I had booked reservations at the Hilton on Market St just a block from the start/finish back in February, we'll be leaving Evansville late Friday morning or early afternoon and staying until Sunday. I myself have been to Indy a few times, but we want to take Dorian to the Children's Museum and the zoo. I'm still trying to figure out restaurants to go to Friday and Saturday, I'm pickier about the Friday choice as it is right before the race but Saturday I am hoping for somewhere with alcohol.... maybe.

It is the Monumental.  I ran the half last year.  It was my first, and I loved it.  My wife is running the half this year.  If I learned anything last year, it was to book our stay for 2 nights.  It broke my heart to leave Indianapolis without having a night out on the town after the race.  We had to go from the finish line back to the hotel to check out.  Booooo.  So, we're staying Friday and Saturday this year.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Zelanie

Congrats, Awood!  I know your training seems to have felt harder lately, but your racing improvement is solid!  That sounds like a tough course, and you handled it well.

I liked your point about not overthinking things during the race.  I bet that did help you to relax, and that in turn probably helped your form.

Wow man what a solid progression of improvement!  You are really getting fast.  That sucks about running into someone at the water station.. I have not had that happen yet but have come close, so it's probably only a matter of time.

Congrats and good luck in November!

LRB

I had a near collision once when someone stopped dead in their tracks right in front of me at an aid station, from that point on I usually go to one of the last volunteers in line, making sure I make eye contact with them while my hand is reaching out on the way.

This is a nice performance, but you are ascending the racing ladder so all things being equal, your race times will continue to drop.  My advice is to not limit yourself, and enjoy the ride!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Damaris - Thank you!.  I know I probably went overboard posting on FB about it.

FreeSoul - I can't remember which place we ate at last year, but I keep hearing that Weber Grill has some great pasta.  That sounds odd to me, but who knows.  As for Saturday night, I've got my eye on St. Elmo's.  It's one of the best steakhouses I've ever been to, and there is a martini bar right down the street that is pretty nice too.  Then again, I might just end up at the Angry Beaver...lol  There's a lot to choose from.

Zel - Thanks!  By the way, this was state number 5 that I've raced in since I started last year.  State number 6 will be up your direction.  My wife and I are running a 5K in Washington on Thanksgiving.

c0derunner - I think its the steady progress that really motivates me.  I know that eventually I'll be fighting and scratching to take off a minute or even seconds, but for right now its fun to knock off big chunks of time.

LRB - I'm definitely enjoying the ride.  Hopefully, I'll run into you at one of these races one day.  By the way, I'll meet your buddy Thomas at Monumental.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

LRB

LRB - I'm definitely enjoying the ride.  Hopefully, I'll run into you at one of these races one day.  By the way, I'll meet your buddy Thomas at Monumental.

That is one huge chunk of a man!  Blush

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

He claims that he's really thinned down for this marathon.  He's got some pretty hefty goals.  I know he's BQ'ed before, but says he's never been happy with his previous marathons.  I'm not sure what he's shooting for, but if he and I are going to meet afterwards I have a feeling he'll be waiting a while...lol

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

LRB

He claims that he's really thinned down for this marathon. 

I believe he ran a 3:22 at Detroit last year, and if there was more than 2 lbs of fat on him I would be shocked.  I can however, understand sacrificing muscle to run faster, as I did the same thing this year.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I've only seen pictures of him, and it is hard to imagine him running with the 3:22 crowd.   It's impressive actually.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Love the Half

Hilly courses are tough.  Do you attack the uphill and recover downhill or do you ease up a bit uphill and attack the downhill?  It's really one of those things that you have to decide based on the nature of the hills and when they come in the course.  Looks like you did a very nice job with them

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).