Beginners and Beyond

First adventure into trail running! (Read 84 times)

Dad on the run.

Ok, so today I went to Tannehill State Park with a buddy of mine from work and we decided we would try our luck at some trail running. This was a first for both of us and we wasn't entirely sure what to expect. We parked our cars and hit the trails, got a little lost and finally found some gravel/dirt service type trail that felt like it went on forever before it finally dumped us back to the main park entrance.

I Had so much fun doing this even though my pace was much much slower than running on roads, I definitely want to do it again, I feel like there is so much to gain from trail running as my body is currently complete shot. My back is sore and my legs feel like jello! But I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

avg pace 12:53m/m

Distance 6 miles

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Little Blue

Pretty cool!  Although that elevation profile would give me pause.  I think trail running would be fun, but I'm such a klutz that I'd probably kill myself.  Enjoy!

LRB

The people I know who do it swear by it so you will probably do the same.  While I do run on a paved trail for long runs from time to time,  I actually prefer the hustle and bustle of city running.

How is your knee feeling after that run?  You get that ITB thing squared away?

Hip Redux

I love trails, so much fun!  Glad you had a good time.  Smile

PADRunner

I ran a 5k on one New Years day.  A different type of running for sure.

No more marathons

When I run trails, I fall a lot. 

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

B-Plus

The middle part looks like a deformed penis.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Trail running is usually 3mm slower for me as the only trail around here is very technical.  I wish it was closer because trail running is fun.  Messy but fun.

Nice!

Damaris

Dad on the run.

LRB - Oh yea! I've been running pain free since Feb. Thanks for asking!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Something I keep threatening to try, but haven't gotten around to yet. Despite the fact that I live 2 miles from a state park.

Dave

Glad it went well for you, Jimmy.

"Mud Creek"... lol.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Good stuff, JBJ. I am guessing that you will soon be signing up for trail races.  Smile

Robert31320

Team TJ

That looks like fun.  I need to investigate trails in our area and get off the road some.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Mmmmm...beer

I love trails!!  You will definitely get some new aches and pains using your legs in ways they're not used to.  And your pace will typically be slower, I don't pay attention to my pace when I'm on trails and just go by effort.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Love the Half

Trails are sort of like cross training in that you are using muscles that you don't normally use and you are using the muscles you normally use in some different ways.  I like trail running with the exception that I have zero sense of direction so I hate, hate, hate getting lost.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).