Beginners and Beyond

Simple Saturdailies (Read 49 times)

outoftheblue

Good morning!

Just finishing up a cup of coffee before gearing up for 20 miles.  I feel very lucky - no rain, no high heat.  Instead,  weather is perfect, so I'm hoping for a nice run.

Life is good.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning dailies!

I had one of those runs where you meet a runner coming from a different direction and you're both heading the same way, except I was about 50 yards behind the lady. She was running just a little slower than my desired pace so when I started getting close I put down a 7:30mm pace and got out in front. It's weird but I think when you're passing another runner they speed up a little bit naturally.

Finished 7 miles @ 8:50mm pace, with a fast finish. Now I'm going to have some coffee and eat a few eggs and then start getting ready for my DD first birthday. Smile

- Andrew

Zelanie

Good morning!  Yesterday I got my 2 mile run in and then a 7 mile hike.  It's nice to have an extra day off now and then!  I felt the knee a bit during the hike, so today is a RD.

SUS- Good luck on your training plan!  I followed a plan that was fairly ambitious, mileage-wise, for me, and I think it would have been fine *except* that I tried to "train through" a race because it wasn't my goal race.  Since your goal race is so far out, if you do run any races in the mean time, consider adding a bit of extra recovery afterwards.  I didn't feel that I needed it, I came out of the race feeling great, but then two weeks later, BAM!

YAYpril - B-Plus

Goooood morning!!

15 miles DONE! I was trying to plan my long run for the weekend, and yesterday I had an epiphany that due to the spot my running group was meeting today, I could actually run to them. So that's what I did. I left my house at 5:30 and ran the 10 miles to the parking lot where everyone was meeting, stopped for a few minutes and ate a gu, then ran the last 5 with my running partner. Then we all went to breakfast and I ate apple walnut pancakes. Nomnomnom. Then my friend drove me home since it was on his way home.

This was my first long run over half marathon distance so I'm thrilled. I felt really good - I didn't need to take any walk breaks (I wouldn't have ruled them out - I am just glad I didn't feel the need). The weather was low 40's and windy, but not the worst it's been.

Happy Holiday weekend...........from the weather today it feels more like holloween than Memorial Day. Rain and 52* freaking degrees.

Just got back frm my first workout in almost two week and will head out for 3 or so miles when the rain lets up.

hopefully yard work later........it's my therapy. I have two lawns to mow and some landscaping to get done.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Happy Saturday everyone!

The past few days have been insanely busy, but thankfully today is much more low-key. Slept in a bit and am heading out for some Greenway miles with the DH and then we're in for an afternoon of yard work cross-training. Hope everyone has a great day!

DavePNW

Waited till it warmed up to about 48. Went out in long sleeves, but immediately went back iniside to change into short sleeves, it felt much warmer. Amazing how much the sun & lack of wind helps. Perfect running weather, 8.24 miles at 8:39.

Came up behind a woman walking her dog, on opposite sides of the path with the leash stretching across. I called out a few times but she did not hear, music too loud I guess. I decided to just go around on the grass. Note to self: next time, go around the person side. I picked the dog side for some reason; the dog started to wrap its leash around my legs & I had to sort of hurdle over it to avoid getting lassooed.

Dave

Will run for scenery.

It's weird but I think when you're passing another runner they speed up a little bit naturally.

I used to think I didn't do that.  Then I started running on a TM at the gym. When someone next to me ups the pace, I have to be careful not to run into the controls.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Ric-G

Marjorie - agree about the packing...it's an art

LRB - have a good run even with that 35

fla - nice 10

mtn - decisions, decisions

step - hope it goes well

sus - good luck; it will be a great journey

bruce - nice run sans garmin

oski - 5k? what happened

scotty - hate when the rain is too much to do much good

baboon - nice workout

D - "only" 14 in that heat aint bad

blue - have a good run

brrr- passing people is strange sometimes, isn't it

zel - nice run and hike

dave - nice run, glad the weather cooperated

april - nice 15!

sparker - i'm a lawn guy too

hobbit - happy x training

ran 15 this morning @9:00 pace. now off to a hike for a few more miles. got invited to see ufc later tonite. haven't seen one in many years. just glad Monday is a day off, hope everyone has a great day!

marathon pr - 3:16

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Sounds like it's cold for almost everyone!

This morning I went to the farmer's market and grabbed a lot of vegetables and meat for grilling.  Mmmm barbecue.

Then I did an easy, though HILLY and FREEZING 5 miles in the light rain around my MA house (visiting for the weekend).  It was windy and all the grass in the fields was blowing all over the place.  Pretty neat.  Reminded me of Again to Carthage, which I just finished, when Cassidy is talking about the scenery on his runs.  I felt so attuned to nature.  Then I realized I was running along a highway.  However, the vapor trail from the trucks was kind of neat.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Hip Redux

5k done in the rain and cold.   My first AG win!  Gotta love small town races.   Smile   1/11 in AG, 6/35 women, 30-something overall (out of 90ish).

mile 1 - 8:20

2 - 9:41

3 - 9:23

0.1 - 7:30

Crazy splits again, but this time not because of my poor pacing - it was all terrain related.  I never felt like I got into trouble on this one, and the first mile before the hills felt decently comfortable for a 5k.   The first hill was so steep in parts, I might as well have walked it lol.   Some of the downhill was tough too because of the steepness.  The final hill was just a slow slog to the finish downhill.

My 5k times this year so far:

30:56

30:06

28:52

Today: 28:08 and by far the hilliest one.    Feeling pretty good!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats, Oski!

Great job, April.

Great runs, everybody.

I accidentally fell asleep for 40 minutes.  Oops.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

5k done in the rain and cold.   My first AG win!  Gotta love small town races.   Smile   1/11 in AG, 6/35 women, 30-something overall (out of 90ish).

Crazy splits again, but this time not because of my poor pacing - it was all terrain related.  I never felt like I got into trouble on this one, and the first mile before the hills felt decently comfortable for a 5k.   The first hill was so steep in parts, I might as well have walked it lol.   Some of the downhill was tough too because of the steepness.  The final hill was just a slow slog to the finish downhill.

Congrats, Oski, way to go!    Nice times on your 5Ks too!  And your fastest one was on today's hilly course?  You are getting to be a stronger runner!

Rain AND cold?  Where are you that it's still cold this late in the year?  I'm sure you've probably told me before, but these days my memory retains information like a spaghetti strainer retains water.  Joking  We don't have cold here in San Antonio...but we do have rain.  Since yesterday we've gotten 12+ inches of rain!   At one point this morning, I thought the water was coming to come right up and over my deck.  Lots of flooded areas in our city right now!  My neighborhood is, thankfully, in mostly a 'dry' area, so we have no water damage and the rain has stopped for a while now, so the yard and streets are now 'draining."

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hey all.  I ended up running about 6.5 miles...nothing very exciting.  I think my legs are feeling some of the fatigue from the fact that this is my first week back to doing any real mileage.  I'm glad I opted against doing a race this weekend.  Even though the conditions were perfect, I don't think I would have had much in me.

Outofblue...Good luck on the 20.  Enjoy that weather.

Brr...It's always annoying having to pass another runner when you're running closely like that.  I guess that person has been the passer before too, so I'm sure they understand how it is.  Nice job on the 7.  Have fun with the birthday celebration.

Zelanie...Nice day of exercise yesterday.  I hope the rest feels good today.  Good advice about the training and racing...smart and conservative is typically the best way to go.

April...Great job on the long run today.  Having people to run with makes those last few miles a lot more enjoyable too.  Breakfast sounds delicious.

Sparker...Ugh, that sounds like a lot of yard work.  You'll never catch me saying I find it therapeutic!  I hope the miles go well for you.

Hobbit...I hope you got in some nice miles with your husband.

DaveP...Nice job on the 8+.  I hate when people walking with dogs take up the whole sidewalk.  I'm glad you didn't get hurt.

JJ...It's hard not to be competitive with gym TMs.

RicG...Great 15 mile run.  Have fun at the UFC.

Scap...Yep, I'm committed to BBQ this weekend too, regardless of the temps.  Sounds like a nice run for you.  I'm glad to see you enjoy the occasional road run in addition to your track work.

Oski...Congratulations!  Awesome job, and your progress through the 5ks has been great.  Enjoy that AG award Smile

Docket...Hi!  Nothing wrong with a nice nap.

Scotty...Hope you're having a good one!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Way to ROCK IT Oski.........

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott