Beginners and Beyond

Humidity and training progress/benefits (Read 112 times)

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Ok, I know how the summer heat and high humidity reeks havoc on everyone's training.  I know in another 30 days everyone will be begging for snow or cooler weather.  Happens every year, like a birthday - it comes and goes without fail.

My question is:  I realize that my LR and MLR paces suffer by perhaps +20 sec - +30 sec p/mile.  I assume that is due to the inability of the body to shed the excess heat, thereby having a corresponding lower blood flow to the muscles as flow is needed to cool the organs.  As a result the lactic acid build up is faster or at prevalent at slower paces.

Is there still an equivalent training stimuli at the lower paces, ie - am I gaining fitness at an equivalent or nearly the same level as during cool weather?  Conventional wisdom would say no, however I lack the understanding of how it affects training gains as much as the more experienced runners herein.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Theoretically, yes.  The effort is the same at a slower pace so therefore, you are training at the right paces even though the numbers say otherwise.  I've never trained on pace because 8-10 months of my year is at above 90F and super humid, yet I never have a problem performing a goal marathon on race day (unless it's obviously above 90F that day).

It's all about effort.  Running on pace 40F warmer is not really running on pace, but rather faster.  Do that enough and your training is not receiving the correct stimuli.

Damaris

Dr. Cornsitter

Like letting your leg hair grow out when you're training for a swimming event. You work harder to stay on pace, and when you shave, YOU'RE SO FAST!!!

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I think it is nature being cruel, the awfully cold winters with slick ice and blizzards make us wish for summer but as soon as summer arrives we are begging for winter. I would be quite happy if it was just Spring and Autumn all year long, 6 months of Spring......... no make that 3 months of Spring (because storms come with Spring) and 9 months of Autumn, I love Autumn.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Love the Half

Ok, I know how the summer heat and high humidity reeks havoc on everyone's training.  I know in another 30 days everyone will be begging for snow or cooler weather.  Happens every year, like a birthday - it comes and goes without fail.

My question is:  I realize that my LR and MLR paces suffer by perhaps +20 sec - +30 sec p/mile.  I assume that is due to the inability of the body to shed the excess heat, thereby having a corresponding lower blood flow to the muscles as flow is needed to cool the organs.  As a result the lactic acid build up is faster or at prevalent at slower paces.

Is there still an equivalent training stimuli at the lower paces, ie - am I gaining fitness at an equivalent or nearly the same level as during cool weather?  Conventional wisdom would say no, however I lack the understanding of how it affects training gains as much as the more experienced runners herein.

Well, that's not correct but the rest of it is.  It's not lactate build up that slows you down.  Rather, it is an increased heart rate coupled with overheating and your brain's refusal to recruit muscles for exercise as you begin to overheat.  Lactate accumulation isn't really an issue.

Having said that, I think you would derive the same aerobic benefit from a 9:00 paced run in hot weather that you do from an 8:30 paced run in cooler weather because your heart is having to work just as hard.  140 beats per minute is 140 beats per minute no matter why it's beating that rapidly. Depending on the workout though, you may not get quite as much muscular development benefit in hot weather.  You simply are not recruiting as many muscles to run a 9:00 pace as you are to run an 8:30 pace.  Lactate threshold typically suffers during the summer as it is very difficult to run long enough at your LT pace to prompt a training stimulus without overheating and bonking and being forced to slow.  However, you can do fast speed reps and even VO2max intervals on some days because the recoveries allow you the chance to cool between the next workbout.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

sheepla

I know in another 30 days everyone will be begging for snow or cooler weather. 

Not me. I love, love, love 90 degree plus weather and wish I had it year round (can't move back to Florida though because I have an irrational hatred of palm trees).  We're having a mild summer in the mid 80s and I'm the only person unhappy about it.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I think it is nature being cruel, the awfully cold winters with slick ice and blizzards make us wish for summer but as soon as summer arrives we are begging for winter. I would be quite happy if it was just Spring and Autumn all year long, 6 months of Spring......... no make that 3 months of Spring (because storms come with Spring) and 9 months of Autumn, I love Autumn.

Agreed...not a fan of the extreme seasons at all.  Fall is my favorite time of year to run.  Seems like we skip right over Spring and head into Summer in recent years.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

sheepla, you're freaking crazy Joking, but I guess some people do prefer it.

daisymae25, that is no lie whatsoever. Fall barely makes  peep and then we're into winter BUT last year here it kept going back up into the 80's around December so it was like Fall kind of lasted for 2-3 months but then on some of those days it was like Summer. I don't like to sweat, and I don't like feeling all sticky and crap, in other words I really dislike Summer.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I wish my Summer didn't last 10 months.... Joking

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I feel so sorry for you D, lol.

PRs

I feel so sorry for you D, lol.

No you don't. She knew what she was getting into Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

No, I didn't.  And I don't get a choice.  Stupid mortgage fraud and damn bubble.  My house is still more than $50K under water.  Once I can sell, Miami be gone (even Ft. Lauderdale would be an improvement).

No you don't. She knew what she was getting into Smile

Damaris

No, I didn't.  And I don't get a choice.  Stupid mortgage fraud and damn bubble.  My house is still more than $50K under water.  Once I can sell, Miami be gone (even Ft. Lauderdale would be an improvement).

ouch- my sister lives in coastal north carolina and even after tons of upgrades to her house she would have to write a $30,000 check to get rid of it.

i hope there is some sort of humidity/heat benefits. Here in south texas it is 87 with a feels like of 97. The temps should get up to 96 later. I am planning on running while my kid is at T-ball practice.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It was $100K under a year ago, so we are improving at least.

ouch- my sister lives in coastal north carolina and even after tons of upgrades to her house she would have to write a $30,000 check to get rid of it.

i hope there is some sort of humidity/heat benefits. Here in south texas it is 87 with a feels like of 97. The temps should get up to 96 later. I am planning on running while my kid is at T-ball practice.

Damaris

MrNamtor

i will gladly trade you that for the 8 month winter we just had here. Damn winter just ended like 2 weeks ago.