Beginners and Beyond

Come to Charleston, WV to watch the carnage (Read 114 times)

MothAudio

Thanks for the info Brad! Next time I'm down there I'll have to look the other direction compare the two, and maybe run it just to get a feel for the difference. Good luck to those folks. The race really should emphasis just how tough of a climb that is. Word of mouth from runners was fair warning to anyone considering the Wheeling, Parkersburg or Charleston races.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

RSX

Sensationalism at its best. Do the people who sign up for this show realize that they are used as entertaining clowns? I just don't get it. And I don't get the interest in watching that show. And if you sit there that day and watch in amusement those poor people struggling on that course, you're a mean one, LTH. But then, that would not be surprising. 

Someone at the other place ran her first half for them last year, and loved it (not this course).

delicate flower

I'm tempted to get some lawn chairs and a cooler full of beer and set up at the top of Spring Hill Cemetery to watch the carnage.  Should be entertaining to say the least.  Oh.  Almost forgot.  After trashing people's legs with a brutal climb and a steep descent, they'll still have 6 or 7 miles of flat ground staring them in the face and it's likely to be hot.  I'm guessing the medical folks will be busy.

hahaha you should totally do that, and laugh at all those stupid fat people who are trying to be active and lose weight, those stupid assholes!  LMAO!

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sensationalism at its best. Do the people who sign up for this show realize that they are used as entertaining clowns? I just don't get it. And I don't get the interest in watching that show. And if you sit there that day and watch in amusement those poor people struggling on that course, you're a mean one, LTH. But then, that would not be surprising. 

+1.  I hardly watch any of the reality shows - last comic standing is probably about it, for me.  I have enough of 'reality' in my real life, I don't want to see reality on TV when I get home, I want to see MAKE BELIEVE and escape from reality for a while! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

RSX

hahaha you should totally do that, and laugh at all those stupid fat people who are trying to be active and lose weight, those stupid assholes!  LMAO!

Yeah the nerve of those people trying to invade our sport.

#artbydmcbride

Probably it was easier to get permits to control traffic through a cemetary than busy sections of roads.  Maybe they'll have sag wagons help them up the hill. 

Runners run

Love the Half

A couple of weeks ago, I put out hidden obstacles for the Special Olympians.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Love the Half

Probably it was easier to get permits to control traffic through a cemetery than busy sections of roads.  Maybe they'll have sag wagons help them up the hill. 

The guy I was talking with who refused to help after he saw what the course was thinks that's exactly why they routed a significant portion of the event through the cemetery.  That or it will cost them less for traffic control.  He also thinks they picked the route using mapmyrun or some other such web site without actually looking at the elevation profile.  I'm dead serious when I say I think the medical folks will be busy if they do, in fact, have a bunch of first timers.

One other comment about the Charleston Distance Run compared to this race should be made.  The CDR is held on Labor Day weekend.  By that time, people have fully acclimated to running in the heat.  Given the weather we have had in this area, I am starting to be acclimated but I don't know that I'd be fully acclimated by next weekend.

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Half Crazy K 2.0

Does the cemetery have a tram or trolley? I saw there is a Biggest Loser 5k and half at Killington, VT that has runners taking a chairlift within the race! It describes running down the mountain, then taking the chairlift and finishing. Huh? Did anyone tell them running downhill on a trail is not always easier?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Does the cemetery have a tram or trolley? I saw there is a Biggest Loser 5k and half at Killington, VT that has runners taking a chairlift within the race! It describes running down the mountain, then taking the chairlift and finishing. Huh? Did anyone tell them running downhill on a trail is not always easier?

No problem for them...they'll bounce... 

OK, that was probably mean...I'm sorry....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Love the Half

Scotty for the win.  

monkkey

Given what passes for 'entertainment' these days,

I would not be surprised if there truly was a recovering alcoholic or drug abuser themed rehab show before long.

I used to watch Intervention.

I would totally run that course.

Website says 5 hour limit (22 min pace).

Love the Half

Given what passes for 'entertainment' these days,

I would not be surprised if there truly was a recovering alcoholic or drug abuser themed rehab show before long.

If I keep being turned off the TV at this rate, I'll soon not need to pay for it.

(Curse my love of watching live sports, so its not really an option, but I can day dream)

Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew.

MothAudio

I thought it was race, not a parade?

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Hip Redux

Wow, that's extremely generous for a half.

I don't know if many people who can only walk a 22 min mile would enter, but it certainly seems dangerous for them to try that length of distance if that's their capability at this point.  As a comparison, I walked about a ~22 min/mile when I was starting to walk after getting off crutches after surgery.    And I would call it a stroll, at best.