Beginners and Beyond

Ice Age Trail 50K (partial) - RR (Read 102 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

This adventure started two days prior to the race when I broke into a cold sweat and had to lie down to wait for it to pass. It concerned me enough with the upcoming race and the stress that it would place on me, that I drove myself to the ER where I spent the next 7 hours undergoing tests, including an echo-cardiogram stress test, and waiting for results. The good news is that all the results came back normal or as normal as they would be for me. That also meant there was no explanation for what happened. After returning home I called my doctor, who was of course out of the office that day. Regardless of what she said regarding the advisability of me running the race, I was still making the trip. I just wouldn't know if I should run until Friday afternoon after I was already in Wisconsin.

The trip itself was uneventful unless you consider an hour plus delay in departure unusual. Unlike my experience in Las Vegas with street signs and directions, I had no problems finding and following signs to Delavan and my hotel, even though the directions I got off the Super 8 website were useless. I never did see signs for 119W from the airport. Staying at this Super 8 was also a totally different experience from the one I stayed at in Nyack, NY last year. My only regret, and there was no help for this, was its distance from the race start. Apparently there is nothing close to the start of the race. There were some motels closer to packet pickup, including a Super 8 across the street, that would have saved driving some miles, but overall that was insignificant. One welcome feature was that the motel started breakfast at 5:00 am. Usually with early race starts I have to find a 24-hour restaurant to get a pre-race breakfast.

I picked up my packet Friday evening, then decided to stay for the pre-race pasta diner rather than driving back to Delavan and dining at the Perkins across the street. I met a couple, Jack and Lori, and another gentleman, Paul, who looked about my age, at the table I sat at. We swapped stories over dinner. I looked for them at the race Saturday, but never saw them in the crowd. The race did have a record number of runners. After dinner I went back and laid out everything for the morning and turned in early. I didn't bother leaving a wake up call because I expected to toss and turn, waking up every hour during the night anyway. Besides the 50K didn't start until 8:15 am.

As expected I didn't get more than an hour's sleep at any one stretch. I was up by 5:30 am. I dressed and went to breakfast, rather skimpy with coffee and a couple small, pre-packaged cinnamon rolls. After I relaxed in my room checking FB and email until I got too edgy. Since the back road route I worked out only took about 20 minutes, I was at the start well before I expected Mandy or Amanda and Todd. I didn't know when to expect Adam and Becky. Those were the only ones I knew and knew were coming. Amanda found me first and took me over to introduce me to Todd and Roxie. Mandy showed up shortly after that and I appointed her race photographer. As I write this I still haven't uploaded the photos so I have no idea what the pictures look like.

The weather was supposed to be ideal, so I kept on my long sleeve shirt. If it warmed up I was going to change to a short sleeve shirt after the initial 13 mile out-and-back section. I half noticed that I wasn't chilly and that should have been a signal to change into short sleeves before the race started. Even the RD was saying the weather was perfect and he expected a record high completion rate. Those words would come back to haunt him.

I didn't notice any type of signal to start the race, but all of a sudden everyone was moving forward, so I moved with them. Initially we were on a broad, grassy trail with plenty of room to get around runners - or for them to get around me. It was flat and I was lulled into thinking maybe the hills won't be too bad after all. Not so! I haven't been able to work out the mileage to the hills, but as the trail narrowed to single track it got hilly. These were longer than any of the hills I've run on when on trails and every bit as steep as the worse I encountered locally at Ridley Creek State Park. Everyone I saw was walking. I didn't bother to count them, but there must have been at least four major hills and a number of smaller ones, each of which I'd have to negotiate on the way back. At first they really didn't seem to bother me and reached the turn around at about 6.5 miles. I was surprised to see quite a few runners standing around at the aid station taking a long break. I stopped long enough to eat some M&Ms and drink, then headed back. Heading back I started to see what I assume were the lead 50-Mile runners. They were certainly moving fast enough. I wasn't until I was nearing the start/finish area that I began to feel how tired my legs were from the hills. I mentioned this to Mandy when I passed by her.

The Nordic Trail loop, which we were to run twice, is broad and grassy. It is also open to the late morning and afternoon sun. I think this is what finally proved my undoing. While beginning to tire I was still moving well and could finally settle into a regular pattern of running and walking. About two miles into the loop I began to feel a lot more drained than expected and noticed I was beginning to hyperventilate a little. Even the small hills were becoming a problem. While I could still move well on the flat and downhill, I could barely make it up the hills. It got to the point where I was almost pausing in mid-stride up hill because I was too weak to fight gravity. The sun beating down was now a major factor and I hadn't bothered to bring my hat. My race and I deteriorated rapidly after that. Not knowing exactly where I was between aid stations I elected to continue forward and hope that I didn't have too far to go, hopefully no more than two miles. It seemed more like four or five, but I finally almost staggered into the area responding, "a ride back to the start", when they asked what I wanted. I sat for a while and drank whatever they handed me while they decided who could give me a ride to the finish. Jody was elected, and when we got back kindly walked me over to the medical tent. Mostly all I needed was a cool, shady place to sit and imbibe fluids. With the issues I've had with high potassium levels, I've been overly cautious about what to drink when running. I;d been avoiding sports drinks because I wasn't sure of their potassium content, As a result my sodium levels were probably low. I don't think I was dehydrated because I had been drinking water and cola, but I was getting salt caked on my forehead, so I was obviously losing sodium with perspiration.

After I'd been there a while I realized it was getting close to the time when Mandy would be expecting to see me finish the first Nordic Trail loop, so I asked about walking slowly about the area to see if we could find her. One of the medical staff had already tried to find her, but couldn't based on my description which included looking for someone with a brindle colored dog. Mandy found us so they released me into her care. The rest of the afternoon was spent eating, drinking, and chatting with old and new friends. When we finally had to start leaving to get home, or in my case, back to the motel, I inherited the few remaining cookies Mandy brought. I was surprised there were any left, but then the race had a good BBQ with brats, veggie lasagna, pasta, and beer, so maybe people weren't as hungry as I thought they would be.

In many ways this was a rerun of last year's Endless Summer 6-Hour race except I handled the hills better today. The sun beating down on me was the deciding factor and I have yet to discover an adequate solution. I will have more opportunities, though, since I'm running a reprise of Endless Summer in July and I also face the possibility at Dawn 2 Dusk 2 Dawn 24 Hours of similar conditions minus the hills. D2D2D is run on a 400m track. With North Coast 24 also having the possibility of hot direct sun during the afternoon, finding a way to deal with that has to be one of my highest priorities.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

GinnyinPA

I'm sorry to hear that the heat and sun got to you so badly.  How hot was it?  Given your recent trip to the ER, I think you were smart to stop when you did.

Our local 6/12/24 race is out in full sun, and I have wondered how people handle that.  Last year it was cool and breezy, with intermittent clouds, so I don't think it was that hard on the runners, but given the late May date, there's no way of knowing if it will be in the 80's or above or not.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

oof

Sounds miserable.

Based on the occurrence 2 days prior is that kinda what you expected or did this feel more difficult?

I find even in cool race weather a bright sun will suck the will and performance right out of my muscles.  If slightly warm weather, it just plain sucks.

Love the Half

Tough day in the saddle.  I don't have any suggestions other than maybe consulting a Physiatrist about maintaining your electrolyte levels appropriately on a hot day.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

I'm so sorry that it didn't go the way it was supposed to, George. The event leading to the race and your time at the clinic because of it must have brought you stress. And the heat added to that played against you as well. I also had some abnormal symptoms before my race and I attributed them to extreme fatigue. Not necessarily just due to training, but from not eating and sleeping right as well. Do you think you might have been doing too much in the weeks leading to the race? At least, you got to meet some fine forumites and you will have a chance for another race again, soon. Maybe you should give gatorade a try this time, and also, don't forget to wear a hat!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am sorry to hear about the race.  I hope you get some answers about the medical issue and/or that it never comes back.

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Ugh, tough one, wc. Are you feeling ok? That does not sound fun. I hope you recover and have a better race next time. That's a bummer because it sounds like you have been having a good time with your ultras.

LRB

The sun beating down on me was the deciding factor and I have yet to discover an adequate solution.

That is the single reason I will not run distance (10k or greater) during the warm months.  If I were you, I would pick only events during cold or cool weather months if that was even possible in the ultra scene.

I posted an article a few months back about men over 40 and how the body has a hard time of cooling itself the older we get, this may be what is causing you problems.

And an ultra in July?  Hell no.  There is just no way I would do that unless it was on the north pole!

Rest and recover well man, you are asking a lot of your body though to run distance in heat.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Rest and recover George.

I would think your incident earlier in the week contributed, but at least you got to hang out with some cool folks once you got to feeling a bit better.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

MothAudio

How'd the other folks do? I thought Mandy was on the shelf. How many miles did you end up covering? Hope you find a solution for your future races. I'm almost always wearing a hat or cap these days. Either for warmth, to absorb sweat or keep the sun off my dome.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Trail Dog

It was a pleasure to finally meet you in person! You look exactly like your profile pictures, so you were easy to spot in the crowd. Smile 

Early season races are tough because most of us aren't yet heat acclimated. I wasn't racing that day, but even at the low effort level I got a bit warm in the last 15 miles. My rule of thumb is to drink when thirsty, and I was definitely drinking more than I would have anticipated. I also poured water down my neck/back twice, and that definitely helped cool me down. 

Definitely try a different belt, or a pack or handheld. I think it was Ultrarunning magazine that recently published a series of articles about ways to carry water? If you don't subscribe, I might still have them and could send them your way if you are interested.

Traveling for races is more than just the race itself, so I hope you had a great experience. It was fun hanging out with you after the race! Meeting a new forumite reminded me how much I have missed hanging out on the running forums! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thanks, all!

Ginny - I'm guessing it reach the low 70s, but it was the direct sun that seemed to affect me the most. Jackpot in February was just as warm, but we had heavy cloud cover the whole time.

Slymoon - aside from shaking my confidence a little at first, I don't think the ER visit had a material effect. I talked with my doctor Froday afternoon and she had no problems with me running the race after seeing the ER report.

Brad - thanks, the electrolyte levels are an on-going issue I'm pursuing with my doctor. It's complicated because I've had spikes in my potassium levels well above normal and I'm not sure how standard hot weather drinks would affect that since they seemed to be made for replacing sodium.

happylily - it was a misjudgment on my part to not change into short sleeves even though there were clear indications that would be better. I didn't anticipate how open the trail would be because it was in a state forest. I expected more shade. I got some good suggestions from people on RW about drinking and electrolytes that will hopefully help.

Damaris - I'm hoping that ER visit was a one time fluke. See comments above about pursuing the electrolyte issue.

Jack - I recovered pretty quickly, so I think to was mostly too much sun. The FEs are a major factor in choosing these races and I had a good time after I recovered and joined the group.

LRB - I remember that post. From personal experience I'd say that's true. I'll have at least two more races, May 31st and July 26th, to learn how to better deal with the heat and sun, before NC 24. While past years at NC 24 have included a lot of rain and even some hail, September in Cleveland is a crap shoot and we could have hot, sunny weather so I want to be prepared.

catwhoorg - thanks, had a good time hanging out afterwards

Mike - I made it through 18.3 when I dropped at the aid station, a lot of the last section walking. I had a hat in my drop bag but didn't think to get it because shouldn't it be shady running in a state forest?  Nope.

Amanda - I buy UltraRunning as soon as we get it in the bookstore so I have those articles. AKTrail on RW suggested a belt with pouches instead of the bottles snapping on. I'll check out those as well as handhelds. Not sure if I want to consider a bladder yet since none of the races I've considered so far are on long loops where you need to be essentially self-supported. I had a great time even though the race didn't go well. I'd come back just for another FE with that group even if I didn't want to get redemption next year.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Definitely try a different belt, or a pack or handheld. I think it was Ultrarunning magazine that recently published a series of articles about ways to carry water? If you don't subscribe, I might still have them and could send them your way if you are interested.

Traveling for races is more than just the race itself, so I hope you had a great experience. It was fun hanging out with you after the race! Meeting a new forumite reminded me how much I have missed hanging out on the running forums! 

You must have still been running when we had the conversation about Ultraunning magazine and how his book store stocks only 3 copies and he buys 1 and the other 2 disappear.    George, if you decide to try a handheld, know that there will be an adjustment period.  I hated mine at first, but now I feel weird running without it.

Amanda, you should come around more often!

Running is dumb.

Trail Dog

Mandy, I am in a perpetual state of ultra brain and totally forgot about that conversation. Yes, I was there. Smile

You must have still been running when we had the conversation about Ultraunning magazine and how his book store stocks only 3 copies and he buys 1 and the other 2 disappear.    

catwhoorg

Labrat

Amanda, you should come around more often!

*seconded

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18