Beginners and Beyond

Burning fat for fuel instead of sugar (Read 108 times)

happylily

I didn't read his link......... no meat? Screw that! I'll just stick to what I do now and what I have planned next year, if I start feeling drained as my long runs increase then I'll experiment with gels and whatever else. I think my issue with losing the last 3-5 lbs is that it doesn't want to go away Sad and of course the holidays are coming up which means food, lots of really tasty food.

Here is my training plan for 2014 (subject to change as needed of course):

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/6d1d5cb5e27e4230a9d79029229a9ba6/plans/5d7d280833f74183b503a2b43aee8e61

You didn't read his link? You made us do all the work for you! Angry

Big grin

P.S. The Holiday season doesn't have to mean more nasty food, you know. And it's also a good time for more running!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

I didn't read his link......... no meat? Screw that! I'll just stick to what I do now and what I have planned next year, if I start feeling drained as my long runs increase then I'll experiment with gels and whatever else. I think my issue with losing the last 3-5 lbs is that it doesn't want to go away Sad and of course the holidays are coming up which means food, lots of really tasty food.

Here is my training plan for 2014 (subject to change as needed of course):

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/6d1d5cb5e27e4230a9d79029229a9ba6/plans/5d7d280833f74183b503a2b43aee8e61

What did you think no meat athlete meant?

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

You didn't read his link? You made us do all the work for you! Angry

Big grin

P.S. The Holiday season doesn't have to mean more nasty food, you know. And it's also a good time for more running!

Last thanksgiving I woke up early ran 13 miles and ate and drank guilt free.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

happylily

Last thanksgiving I woke up early ran 13 miles and ate and drank guilt free.

Exactly!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I had made this thread just as I was reading the article damn it, and I hadn't even skimmed through the second article until after I posted this, then when I saw something about meat I said to myself "fuck that!". Joking

I think I am running a race on Thanksgiving Day.

What did you think no meat athlete meant?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

Btw, it's been brought to my attention that there was something kinky about my first post. I sincerely apologize, it was NOT my intention, I swear. Big grin

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Liar!!! I almost thought about saying something perverted in retort.... but didn't want to offend "anybody". Big grin Cool

Btw, it's been brought to my attention that there was something kinky about my first post. I sincerely apologize, it was NOT my intention, I swear. Big grin

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Chasing the bus

At the risk of dragging this outa the gutter and back on point Shocked...

The concept is valid. Keep insulin levels low, the body burns fat. Eat carbs, jack up insulin, it switches to carbs. You can train the body to burn fat longer by training at low insulin levels. Vegetarian or Atkins or anything in between, it don't matter. Lots of stuff I don't have references for and don't wanna look up.

Ok, off my box. Back to the gutter with ya'll...Big grin

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                  Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Nothing new to the concept really.  Can't remember which book I read it in but our bodies run on a mix of fat and glycogen for fuel.  Slower runs tend to burn more fat vs glycogen so the long slow runs that we are supposed to be doing are intended to teach our bodies to burn more fat and less glycogen.  We still burn glycogen but at a slower rate.  We still need glycogen in our system though because the brain uses glycogen an glycogen only for fuel.

Now come race day when we are running faster than our training paces then our fuel consumption is gonna swing back toward the glycogen stores so we still need to carb load for marathons so we don't run out of glycogen and starve the brain and bonk.

happylily

Liar!!! I almost thought about saying something perverted in retort.... but didn't want to offend "anybody". Big grin Cool

She called me a liar. Someone defend me, please.

I know nothing about special diets for long-distance runners. All I know is that I like to eat meat... For real! Big grin

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

She called me a liar. Someone defend me, please.

I know nothing about special diets for long-distance runners. All I know is that I like to eat meat... For real! Big grin

happylily is very sensitive to the foibles of others and would never post a double entendre intentionally. Big grin

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

happylily is very sensitive to the foibles of others and would never post a double entendre intentionally. Big grin

Never!

Big grin

meaghansketch

FWIW my fat-load diet this week is mainly comprised of nuts, avocado, cheese, greek yogurt, salads with olive oil or blue cheese dressing and fatty cuts of meat (sausage, stew beef, lamb)... No lack of meat here!

LRB

Stay tuned for results?

Absolutely!

Shit, I would eat sand before a race if science supports it as benefit!  You are pretty sharp with sound training principles as well, so it must have been worth a look if you tried it.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

When ever I hear the term, "burning fat", I picture a grease fire.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013