Beginners and Beyond

What's with all the frozen yogurt places popping up all over the place? (Read 83 times)

delicate flower

Is this just a phenomenon in my neck of the woods or is it a national thing?  Seems like more and more places are opening.  Not that I mind at all because I love the stuff and ice cream tends to destroy my insides.  Anyway, within about a three mile radius of my house we have:

Peachwave

TCBY

FroyoWorld

Yogurt Fantazy

Plus a few ice cream places that also sell froyo (Ben and Jerry's, etc).

If I want to drive a few more minutes, we've also got Sweet Frog, Pinkberry, and more ice cream/yogurt combo places.

You'd think maybe one or two places would be plenty, but I've got at least 10 places within a short drive where I can get frozen yogurt.  It amazes me that all of these places selling the same thing can all stay in business.

<3

Same here. (Indiana) Recently have seen at least 3 NEW froyo places open. I can think of around 5 that I pass between work and home. My wife and I noted while on vacation in MD there were TCBY's everywhere. I thought those all went away?

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

delicate flower

I think in the last couple of years TCBY has basically relaunched their brand with the self service model.

<3

Jess runs for bacon

Oh yeah, we've got Menchies, So Fun, Euro Yogurt, etc. I would assume the profit margins are really good.

i like them, but I'd rather drive the 1/2 hour to go here:

http://articles.mcall.com/2013-08-06/entertainment/mc-owowcow-creamery-ottsville-tripadvisor-0807-20130806_1_ice-cream-tripadvisor-egg-farm

Sorry it won't let me hotlink, but you should read it anyway Smile

catwhoorg

Labrat

1% er...

I haven't noticed any here.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We have many here too, bah.

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

In my area they have been around for awhile. Better than more Starbucks.

Was Newman there to buy another round of nonfat strawberry? (Sorry, I had to throw in a Seinfeld reference).

LRB

Add Orange Leaf to those that have been mentioned.  I have never eaten the stuff, and with my addictive personality, I never will.  I have enough addictions, I do not need anymore.   Roll eyes

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Was Newman there to buy another round round of nonfat strawberry? (Sorry, I had to throw in a Seinfeld reference).

This is so effing good!

Love the Half

The irony is that people go there thinking it's healthier than ice cream because they advertise it as 100 calories per ounce.  Then, people use 8 ounces of it and dump hot fudge and oreos and whatever else on top and I'll bet very few things exit those stores under 1,000 calories.  That's nearly as much as a "Gotta Have It" size Founder's Favorite at Cold Stone Creamery.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

RSX

There are ones close to my area. 3 weeks ago when we traveled to New Brunswick for my half we had trouble finding any.

Hip Redux

The irony is that people go there thinking it's healthier than ice cream because they advertise it as 100 calories per ounce.  Then, people use 8 ounces of it and dump hot fudge and oreos and whatever else on top and I'll bet very few things exit those stores under 1,000 calories.  That's nearly as much as a "Gotta Have It" size Founder's Favorite at Cold Stone Creamery.

Wait, you mean it's NOT healthy?!?

A million have popped up here.   Give me full fat, real ice cream from the local dairy bar.  FroYo doesn't do it for me.  If I'm going to splurge, I want something other than watered down ice cream. Big grin

Will run for scenery.

2 new places here in the past year.

I'm not crazy about FroYo, though.  Always struck me as an ice cream substitute.  And like just about all substitutes, it's just no match for the real thing.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

meaghansketch

I am in a major city so we got the front part of the trend.  We had hundreds of places open in a pretty short time period and about half of them closed.  I am a big fan, though.  And on the nutritional side-- 1 oz of vanilla at the place I go the most (Red Mango) is 25 calories.  1/2 cup is less than 100 calories (compare 1/2 cup of Ben and Jerry's/Haagen Dazs at over 200 calories).  Even the largest size they have is 300 calories before toppings.  Not that calories are or should be the only measure of health, but there is really quite a big difference.  I still eat real ice cream, too, though-- it's just a nice alternative.  I like the tartness a lot.

They're popping up rapidly in this area too.

There's even a new one down in the village -- when I went there, they charged me $6 for a bowl.  No wonder there were two obese ladies who had brought their own toppings.