Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins remember Suzielea (Read 343 times)

KaraInSavannah

Runs the streets

Terribly sad about Suzie. I had assumed she was just busy running Sad 

Don't call me Buttercup!

I always worry when someone who regularly visits a site/forum stop posting because you really have no way of knowing why or if anything happened. This is such sad news. I remember when I first joined the penguins suzie was like the dedicate forum started and was always upbeat, cheerful, and friendly and was very passionate about her writing. May she rest in peace.

What kind of transplant did she have?

She had a heart transplant a bunch of years back.  Back when we used to have signatures on RWOL, hers said something about wanting to be the oldest living heart-transplant survivor.  I can't remember what year she needed to make it to, but sadly, it won't happen now.  May she rest in peace. 

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Don't call me Buttercup!

Also, it was Suzielea, not Suzziela.  I know it's petty of me to correct you guys, sorry.  Cranky and sad this morning. 

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Wandering Wally

So sorry to hear of her passing.  Suzie welcomed me into the Penguins way back in 2010.  She was an inspiration to me.  She was the queen of the personals and always had an encouraging word.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Also, it was Suzielea, not Suzziela.  I know it's petty of me to correct you guys, sorry.  Cranky and sad this morning. 

I didn't think it was right but had no way to check. Thanks for letting me know - I changed it.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I know I don't post here with you guys, but I remember Suzielea from her posts on the BF. She and I would talk about trying to learn to cycle for triathlons, me on my long rides and her struggling to get to 4 miles. She was always impressed by mine, but her efforts were the true inspiration. Her presence really drove home the point for me that we're all here to help, support, and draw the strength to get out the door from one another, not to compete. She will be missed here, and I'm sure even more so by those who truly knew her.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

From the Internet.

I didn't know Suzie either but it sounds like she will be missed Sad RIP.

SRD for me today. Watching Brave with my sick little girl, poor thing hasn't kept food or water down since Saturday night.

bummer about our Penguin family member.

I got 3.6 recover miles in today after my 16 miler yesterday. I had to break out some old running shoes, as my most recent ones are having issues. I have litterally run part of the rubber off the bottom of my brooks beasts. The double whammy in the situation is that i have big fat flat feet (14EE) and the shoes that I like are hard to find, since a newer model is coming out. I had ordered a pair the other day (only 1 place had them online), they were supposed to be a Christmas present, but I guess Santa will have to understand that daddy needs a new pair of shoes.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Zelanie

So sorry that Suzie has passed.  She was always so kind and positive, truly the "queen of personals".

I guess we all should have checked in sooner.  I was picturing her getting busy with writing and school, as it seemed like that was what she was up to mostly the last few times she checked in here.  She will definitely be missed!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am sooo sorry to hear about Suzie.  She was a real sweetie, such a very nice person.  She will be missed.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

RIP Suzie

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Right there with you, Gustav, on the stationary bike and TM being so boring. I really have to be outside for my running and biking.  Dang, you sure do a lot of full body workouts, you must be in some shape by now!

Hope you get your running back on track, Jimmy, and good luck with losing the pounds.

Happy recovery miles from your HM, Bin.

Dang, Dave..8 miles...10 miles...etc.  I'm curious..what is the least mile distance you will run when you get out there for a run? 

Enjoy the RD, Kristi!  Yes, Suzie was a real gem.  She will be missed.  I read on the RW forum that she passed in the first week of November, like the 5th or 6th, somewhere around there.   Being in Australia, I guess not many of us were in touch with her a lot - maybe her Facebook friends knew sooner - so we didn't get the word for a while.  So sad to hear about this, she was really trying hard to be healthy and make that heart transplant work for her.

Hope you get your long run in, Jerry!  Glad you can still run outside.

Dang, Awood, sounds like you might need a little bit of a rest, all that mileage you are doing!  Good luck with the holiday lights!

Happy miles, Margo.  What is considered 'unseasonably warm" where you are?  Yesterday it got to 80 degrees for us.  That is actually just a bit over normal for us, we are normally in the high 60s, low 70s for Nov-Dec.  Jan and Feb are usually our cold months in San Antonio.

Happy SRD, Kristin.

So sorry about your little one, Lauren, hope she feels better.

Tomas, I never heard...did your team beat Lexington last Friday night?  Sorry about your shoes going to pieces, hope your new ones arrive soon.  What size Brooks Beast do you wear?  I found a store where they are on sale for $110. Is that a good price for you?

Rest day for me today.    I did have a nice little adventure last night.   First, I did my 70th race for the year at 5 PM at University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio, it was a nice event and tons of food after, plus all the holiday lights around the campus.  I will post my race report with photos tonite after work. 

After the race, Gail and I get home and hear our cat meowing outside and open the door to let him in.  Before we realize what is in his mouth - it's a bit dark by our back outside door  - he come proudly trotting in..with a MOUSE in his mouth. Gail freaks, giving a startled shriek,  which startles the cat, which drops the darn mouse with me trying to catch it - yes, it was still alive in the cat's mouth, and when he dropped it I saw it was just a field mouse, thank goodness, and not a rat - and it scurries under one of our kitchen cabinets.  I managed to get it out of there, but missed it as it came out and it went under another cabinet, sheesh.  Those little things are quick!  I did "work" for an hour under those cabinets but found nothing, saw nothing.  This cabinet backs up to the wall that goes outside, and we have some piping there that does lead outside, so I hope the stupid thing got out of the house.  Two of my other cats were QUITE interested and sat in front of that cabinet for quite a while,  peering under it, tails twitching, waiting and ready. The Great Hunters, lol.   Anyway, I guess we will be keeping an eye out for signs if it is still there and then take action if it is.   Gail is into "humane" removal and wants to catch it and release it.  We don't want to use any type of poison, etc., since our cats may inadvertently get into it.  I'm wondering about one of those "electronic" pest gizmos, don't know if they really work or not.  Any suggestions for those of you who may have mouse experience?   Oh well, "life" happens and this is just one of those things that sometimes comes along.  This too shall pass. Never a dull moment around our place, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jimmy, good luck with the run today.

Bin, enjoy the well-deserved recovery run!

Dave, way to go on the 8 miles.

Kristi, Suzie was a heart transplant survivor and such a kind, motivational person.  Enjoy the rest day.

Tweaky, enjoy the rest day.

Jerry, the weather has been very mild here too.  Actually it was in the 50’s yesterday.  New England weather is crazy in general though.  Saturday it was snowing. I hope you are able to get that long run in.

Awood, boy you’ve run a lot of miles in a short amount of time!  I think the “only” 32 minutes might be a good thing.  I hope you are able to get a lot of lights up tonight.

Phillie, good luck with the run!

Lauren, enjoy the rest day!

Tomas, woo hoo for recovery runs!  LOL, I think Santa will understand.

Zelanie, I thought she was just busy with school, her book, biking, and swimming too.  She passed away on November 5th. How sad, it was the anniversary of her heart transplant too. Surprised(

Scotty, enjoy the rest day.  I liked the article about you! Oh man, there really is never a dull moment in your life.  This story satisfied my “Scotty, needs to tell a funny story about an adventurous run” quota.  I don’t know about humane catch and release traps but there are always those ones that the mouse goes in and it closes so you don’t even have to see or touch it.  My grandmother just uses those nasty glue pads and she will pick the mouse up.  EWWW, I could never but it doesn’t faze her.  Then again she does live on a farm.

AFM- I only ran 6.8 miles last week. Surprised(  Huge difference from the 30+ I was running a month ago.  The good news is I was so desperate to get better that I was willing to try anything.  I’ve already gone to the doctors 3 times and taken two rounds of antibiotics.  I NEVER take them unless I really need to and they did nothing this time, grr.  I did however find this “recipe” for a detox/recovery bath.  It’s Epsom salt, baking soda, and ginger.  The ginger is supposed to help with respiratory infections and help release toxins from your body.  I know it sounds crazy but I tried it last night and I feel better this am.  I took the day off so I’ll see how I feel later on this evening.   I have a Santa 5k fun run Saturday so I really want to feel better.  Plus, school is stressing me out and all I want is to go for a nice long run.

I might be a little MIA over the next 3 weeks.  I have a few papers, oral presentation, 2 quizzes, and 3 finals all within the next 3 weeks.  AHHH! It’s a crazy end of the semester for me.  Once this semester is complete I’ll only ever be taking 1 class at a time.  Which, will leave me less stressed and with far more time. 

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Marathon didn't go well last night, with all the dust and wind.  Maybe a person allergic to dustmites shouldn't run in LV.

I am very sorry to hear about Suzie.  I am friends with her in FB but I didn't see her wall comments untl now.  May she RIP.

Damaris

hog4life

Very sad to hear about Suzie, I always thought she was such an inspiration.

I'll run after work today and will dedicate my miles to Suzie.