Beginners and Beyond

TUESDAILIES: 2013 Reasons I Want to Return to Bed (Read 44 times)

happylily

Oh.  That is a huge difference then!

Yes. It wouldn't make much sense to run 7 miles at 10k pace in training. Kind of cruel, in fact. 

I did 9 miles @ 7:35 pace. First 4 at HM pace. No warm-up, I'm always too impatient to start the tempo (actually, I'm terrified that if I start slow, I will get lazy and be unable to pick up the pace after a mile or two. I have a mental problem there. Seriously.)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

I am either running slow this morning, or fast this afternoon.  It all depends on how much snow fell overnight and screwed up the street surface.

I decided against racing on that crap and ran 7 easy instead.  It is very cold and windy here today which was not a deal breaker necessarily, but the inch of snow (although not a lot) was enough for me to say screw the race.

Boy I have come a long way in that regard, there was a time when I would race even if Armageddon was in progress.  Now I am as finicky about racing as Morris the cat was about din' din'!

Yugo8

I again wanted to take a rest day but we're so slow today I frolicked for a nice and fast 5 miles.  Whoo-hoo: food time!

Happy new year's eve, everyone.

DavePNW

Planned to run outside, but looked at the 14 deg temp, -3 deg windchill, fresh slippery snow on the ground & more blowing like crazy through the air, and thought better of it. 7 on the treadmill, to push me over 200 for the month.

Happy New Year everyone!

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

Good stuff, Dave!

<3

happylily

Awesome, Dave! And let us all praise the TM! 

Ric-G

basia - black tie...watch out!

baboon - i may be in bed even earlier

lily - have fun tonite

D - busy schedule...enjoy it later

free - nice run with rocky

brrr - good TM 6

blue - i wonder about that too

yugo - good call on no rest day

lrb  - easy 7 is one more than me

dave - congrats on >200

did 6 easy this AM...gives me 160 for the month and 2275 for the year....hope everyone has a great and safe NYE....and an even better 2014!

marathon pr - 3:16

happylily

2275 is great mileage, Ric! May 2014 bring you even better and stronger miles!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oh.  That is a huge difference then!

Yeah, but do you really need a 10K paced tempo run for a marathon?  I think 15K-HMP is a better tempo pace for that distance.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Got my run/walk done around the YMCA area, after going to a doctor appointment.  Doc said my lungs were still clear, but I did have some 'nose and throat stuff" going on and also I am still coughing.  So got some meds and he said okay to run, but don't push it, just run easy. .  Nice day, about 46 degrees when I started, around 11:30 a.m., and a bit cloudy.   By the time I finished, it was sunny and 56 degrees, crazy Mother Nature. Made for some nice running, though, and I guess I got carried away, I ended up doing lots of hills - and pretty big darn hills too -  and also went for 5.1 miles, my longest run since October when I did the Wurst  Fest 5-miler.  So much for not pushing it, sorry Doc.  Still, I felt really good the whole way.    As for our weather...crazy Mother Nature!  We are heading to a high of 60 today and 65 for New Year's Day tomorrow.   So looks like I will have nice weather tomorrow at 10 a.m. when I start my 2014 race count with my first race of the year, the Cobweb Chaser 5K.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

- Andrew

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

<grumbling> Good morning.

6.50 miles in 1:03:57 on the TM. 6.1mph (9:49 pace). Comfortable. And no pre-run fuel, except for coffee.

Last night, I was surprised with an invitation to a black-tie NYE event. I have nothing appropriate. I have to make a skirt, damn it.

I see lots o'Turkish the rest of this morning. Help me, G-d.

That's why I attend the local Nudist Club New Year's Eve party...no clothing choices.  All we wear IS black tie.   And I'll tell you what...at my age, old man that I am, for this party, I have "nothing appropriate" either!  Darn aging shrinkage and wrinkles... 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Hip Redux

LRB

Yeah, but do you really need a 10K paced tempo run for a marathon? 

I have never seen it prescribed which is what got my attention.  And the correlation between the two is that for most recreational runners, their tempo pace (based on Daniels VDOT charts) and 10k pace is about the same.  My tempo pace is 6:38 and my 10k pace is 6:35.

But nowhere in Daniels does he suggest or recommend a run of 6 miles at that pace for non-elites.  His tempo runs are usually run in intervals within a run, or steady state at 25 minutes minimum and a 40 minute max which is nowhere near 6 miles for most of us.

happylily

Based on my PR HM, my 10k pace is 6:56. McMillan recommends a tempo run (not intervals, but a whole run, which I guess would be 4 to 6 or 7 miles) at anything between 6:55 and 7:12 pace. I was off that range today, in a slow way, because I live in denial and la la land. I insist on calling 6:55 to 7:12 my tempo pace, though it's not.