Beginners and Beyond

What's your resting heart rate? (Read 144 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

High 40s, typically.  I wish I knew what it was when I was fat and sedentary.

Running is dumb.

bluerun

Super B****

High 40s, typically.  I wish I knew what it was when I was fat and sedentary.

Didn't you ever go to the doctor?  Tongue

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Just B.S.

Resting heart rate is the running version of penis size.  Both are mostly determined by genetics.  I consider myself in good company with Jim Ryun who never had a resting heart rate below 60.

hahaha!!

Well resting heart rate? I must try resting now and then and check it out!Smile

But seriously, for the last 10 years I have been training and racing 1/2 marathon distance and longer as well as

cycling and my resting heart rate is usually low 60's when I'm in the Dr's office.

LRB

Someone asked me that yesterday and in the million times they have taken it, they either never said it out loud or I wasn't paying attention....probably the latter knowing me, ha-ha!

bluerun

Super B****

Someone asked me that yesterday and in the million times they have taken it, they either never said it out loud or I wasn't paying attention....probably the latter knowing me, ha-ha!

Oh, I never paid attention either -- but if I wanted to know, I could always go back to my doctor (who is no longer my doctor because he is completely insane) and ask to see my medical records, right??

chasing the impossible

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I can work it down to about 40 if I'm laying in bed and concentrating, but the "real life" number is more like mid50s.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

cmb4314

Sitting at work, it's usually nearly exactly 60.  In bed before I get up in the morning, a little bit lower.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Yea, this is REALLY cool. Assuming this is accurate, i'm sitting at 56 bpm.

I downloaded this after you mentioned it, friggin' awesome. Merci beacoup!

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

LRB

Oh, I never paid attention either -- but if I wanted to know, I could always go back to my doctor (who is no longer my doctor because he is completely insane) and ask to see my medical records, right??

I tried that.  They don't record it unless it's a concern.  They could give me my pulse, but technically that is not the same...or so was told to me.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Nope.  LOL.

Running is dumb.

bluerun

Super B****

I tried that.  They don't record it unless it's a concern.  They could give me my pulse, but technically that is not the same...or so was told to me.

Um, wait.  What??

chasing the impossible

LRB

Um, wait.  What??

I talked to the receptionist.  It wasn't worth asking the second question.  I will just be more attentive the next time I go.

bluerun

Super B****

I talked to the receptionist.  It wasn't worth asking the second question.  I will just be more attentive the next time I go.

But that wouldn't help you know what your RHR was ten years ago, now will it??

(Damn.  I just got my immunization records from my ex-doctor and thought I'd never have to go back there again... but now I'm curious about this.)

chasing the impossible

LRB

But that wouldn't help you know what your RHR was ten years ago, now will it??

(Damn.  I just got my immunization records from my ex-doctor and thought I'd never have to go back there again... but now I'm curious about this.)

I have my blood pressure and pulse readings going back 8 years, which look similar (high 50's to low 60's) but I am told that it is not the same as heart rate.

Maybe one of our resident medical professionals can help out with that.

bluerun

Super B****

Heart rate is a measurement of any beating/contraction of the heart, no matter how forceful the contraction or how much/little volume of fluid (blood) is shifted.
                                Pulse rate is a measurement of beating/contraction of the heart which produces enough pressure (ie, is forceful enough/moves enough fluid to the peripheries) for the pulse to be palpable.
                                Heart rate = ANY heart beat
                                Pulse rate = ONLY heart beats which are strong enough to be felt way out at your wrist/knee/ankle, etc.

Interesting.  Guess I just learned something new ...

chasing the impossible