Beginners and Beyond

Would you run a race if you knew ahead of time that the course might be short? (Read 95 times)

Zelanie

I have been itching to run a 5K lately.  Which means it must be way too long since I've run one and I don't remember how much they hurt. Wink

I work on Saturday mornings, though, so it can be hard to find one that I can do.  And I have been taking quite a few Saturdays off for travel lately, otherwise I would just take the day off.

I just got an email reminder for a 5K that I ran last year.  The thing is, I'm pretty sure the course was short, maybe as much as .2.  I'm kind of thinking that it would be silly to run it, since I wouldn't be able to count the time as my PR anyway.  But I could wear my watch and at least get a sense of what my "PR" pace seems to be these days.  That asterisk might just drive me nuts, though, because I'm silly like that.

So- would you run the race?  Or wait for another one to come along?  There is also a 5K at noon on labor day, but school starts the next day, so I am usually working that day to get ready.  But maybe it would be fun to run that instead?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

If it is to hit a goal or PR attempt, I wouldn't do it if I have reason to believe it would be short.  If it's with friends or for fun, it wouldn't matter, but for race purposes it would.

Damaris

Birdwell

If you ran it last year, I say do it again, but look at the year to year improvement. Don't look at the PR part.

Love the Half

I've run courses I knew were short.  I ran a HM recently that was .2 short and a 5K that was .1 short.  I still race hard and enjoy any AG bling I get but just don't count it as a PR.  It's still a race.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Zelanie

Well that's just it.  My 5K PR is from last December.  That's ages ago for a beginner.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Luckily, you've run the course before.  So, you can still get a course PR, and there's always an opportunity for an AG award.  It could also be a nice tune-up for Labor Day.  It's been a while since you've paced a 5K.

Well that's just it.  My 5K PR is from last December.  That's ages ago for a beginner.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I have one race I run every year. In all the years I've run this race beginning in 1994 I think it has been an accurate 5K only twice. Last year I couldn't even find anyone before the race who knew where the course went so I was running blind. I run it because it is convenient, small, and fun. I also developed a personal connection with the race and helped in an advisory capacity for a number of years because the confusing and inaccurate courses they had were only a part of the issue with the inaugural race. It's put on by a student group at the university where I do most of my training runs so I also train on the roads and sidewalks used for the course. It also means there is annual turnover with the race organizers which partially explains why it's so disorganized: they effectively start from scratch every year.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Is it a certified course? If yes I'd say it counts  regardless of what your Garmin said! If not, or if you are really uneasy knowing a short course is your PR then I would wait for a more reliable race if it were me and IF the primary purpose was to PR. I run a lot of races that I don't intend to PR in because I enjoy races....to me it is more fun and motivating to pin on a number and run with tons of other runners as a change from running alone, so if a race is in a location I like, for a charity I want to support, or a particularly fun event I will likely run it even if a PR is off the table. So if you just want to race just for fun I'd say go for it!!! I've also used races as speedwork to test certain paces.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

LRB

Knowing it is short going in is a helluva lot different than finding out afterwards so yes, if I needed the work, absolutely I would.

As LTH opined, the bling don't care what distance you have run.  I got a write up in a newspaper on a short course, and yeah no, there was no way I was going to tell the reporter "Well thanks but the course was short." lol.

You can also project what your real finishing time would have been so there is that.

Trail Monster

Did the RD acknowledge it was short last year? My DH and I directed our first 5k last year and it was 3 miles. After we found out we apologized and we will have it corrected this year. Maybe it was an honest mistake and it won't happen again.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Zelanie

This is a small race, looks like I was 13/67 last year.  No AG awards, just OA man and woman I believe.  And (to my knowledge) nobody talked to the RD about the short course.  Most of the focus, honestly, is on the trail HM and 10K races of the event.  The 5K is there just for fun.  Plus since it is on trails, nobody 100% trusts their GPS.

I didn't have GPS on for most of the race, but those who did said the course showed short.  And of course there's no way I ran the time that they gave me last year.

A course PR, on the other hand, is an option.  And I could still get pace info if I wore the watch.

RSX

My 5k PR was on a course we think was short (guess only before GPS watches). I count it because I don't know for sure. I ran for the charity so wouldn't have cared what the distance was.

The Falmouth Road Race is 7.0. For years it was listed as 7.1 but was always rumored to be shorter. I ran it 11 times and didn't care which was true.

Philliefan33

If you are in the mood to race, just go and run.  You can either compare your time to last year, or set a new baseline for next year.

I routinely run a small "5K" that is about 1/4 mile too long.  I keep track of my race time on that course and don't worry that it's not a true 5K.

(I suspect that the only 10K I've raced was a short course.  I'm using the PR time, but I know it's going to make it harder to beat that PR on a course of the correct distance)

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

If it is to hit a goal or PR attempt, I wouldn't do it if I have reason to believe it would be short.  If it's with friends or for fun, it wouldn't matter, but for race purposes it would.

+1

- Andrew

#artbydmcbride

I suppose if you wear your garmin you can keep running past the finish line and then hit STOP at the 3.1 mark!   Big grin

Runners run