Beginners and Beyond

What other sports did you or do you play? (Read 109 times)

Hip Redux

Lordy, this Monday is dragging and it's only 9am.   So here's my topic of randomness.

Besides running, what else do you or did you do?  Not so much cross training, but like organized sports and the like.

I was a softball player (center field and batted clean up!) in high school when I was recruited for volleyball (really, only for my height).   It was sort of a foreign sport to me - I'd always been a softball player  - summer league, intramural leagues, HS team, etc.   But then I quickly fell in love with volleyball and softball became my second sport.

I played vball all four years in college and then joined a fairly competitive co-ed intramural league in grad school.  I was also on a more relaxed sand vball team at the same time, so I was basically playing volleyball at least ~4-5 times a week for over a decade.     I had to give it up when I hurt my back in 2000/2001 and I was never able to play again.  Sad   It makes me incredibly sad, especially when I see my colleagues still playing and some coach now too.

So for now I watch volleyball on TV for my fix.  I find myself yelling at the screen a lot. lol

Anyone else?

Philliefan33

In high school I played soccer, volleyball, basketball, and softball.  (I went to school way back when we had four sport seasons / year.)  I played basketball in college for two years, then gave it up due to sore knees and a pyscho coach.

I started playing racquetball in the late '80's.  I met DH on a racquetball court, and we spent many weekends playing tournaments.  We gave up tournaments as our daughters started becoming involved in activities.  I had less time to play rball as we started coaching the girls in basketball / soccer / softball, and eventually stopped playing at all.

I was also a referee for girls HS basketball for about 15 years.  I gave that up when I realized I was missing my daughters' games because I was working at some other game.

YAYpril - B-Plus

I, uh, was in a bowling league when I was 8-12 years old.

And I played soccer for a year when I was 7. I got a trophy and we didn't even win!

My husband and I would play tennis once in awhile but he had knee surgery a couple years ago and gave that up. One time he shot the ball into my leg and I said "ARGH! That's my running leg!" It left a nice welt.

I was terrible at tennis so I made up my own rules. If he hit it to me and I couldn't hit it back, it was still my point because he hit it too fast. If I returned and it went out, it was my point because at least I RETURNED the ball.

I played football and wrestled.

Both were fun, but I wasnt good at either of them.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

catwhoorg

Labrat

Rugby and cricket at the collegiate level.

Football (Soccer) through to about 11-12.

I also rowed at bit in college, but rather lacked the height to be really good at that.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I played soccer in college (goalkeeper).  I also played a ton of soccer growing up and had some really neat experiences and great successes.  By the time college was done, I was completely done with it and haven't touched a ball since.  I do still enjoy watching it though.

I also played basketball in high school, but only for two years as I turned my focus just to soccer.  I did continue to play basketball with friends while in college, and really kept playing right up until I got serious about running.  At that point, I decided to give it up because I didn't want to jeopardize my running.

Finally, I play a lot of golf.  I really wish that I had played golf as a kid as it's just such a fun sport.  Even my golf time has taken a hit this year though as my mileage has gone up even more.

So yes, running is squeezing all the fun out of my life and totally okay with it ha.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Love the Half

I always sucked at everything except running.  When they were picking teams, I got picked last unless it was tag or some other such game that primarily involved running.  Then I got picked first.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

I always sucked at everything except running.  When they were picking teams, I got picked last unless it was tag or some other such game that primarily involved running.  Then I got picked first.

Very similar story on my end, I was usually last pick though even in the running games back then though. Nobody wanted the overweight kid with the glasses and the inhaler.

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

The Mc

Football and lacrosse in HS.  Also, lots of basketball rec leagues, but not the HS team.

Basketball leagues in college.

Rugby in law school.

Just golf these days.

Papa don't take no mess.

+1.

Oh except the part about being good at running; because of my asthma I couldn't do that at all. Never on any school or organized teams.

Over the years, played some tennis, rec-league-type softball, basketball with friends/co-workers. Never any good at any of it, pretty much an uncoordinated non-athlete. Which I suppose is why I have taken to running.

Dave

Philliefan33

Very similar story on my end, I was usually last pick though even in the running games back then though. Nobody wanted the overweight kid with the glasses and the inhaler.

I bet those mean kids wouldn't recognize you now!

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Softball.  I held the unofficial team record for number of walks.  Why you ask?  So I wouldn't have to run to first base.

True story.

happylily

As a child and later a teen, I hated team sports (I still do now). I felt awkward and uncoordinated. We had no track team, or anything of the kind, in high school at the time. I'd say that cycling was my thing as a teenager. I could easily cover 200 kms in one day, every weekend. I used to own the whole shebang, clothes, speed bike, etc..., which I paid for myself with hours and hours of babysitting. This was many years before dressing up for cycling became the norm in America. It was hard to find cycling shorts and shoes back then and we only had one or two stores in Montreal carrying that kind of stuff. Now I look at what people wear and use when they ride their bikes and I roll my eyes... I don't get why people have to dress up if they're only going to ride for a couple of hours and at a very slow speed. I find it silly...

I stopped cycling when I had my daughter at 21. But I stayed active through hiking and canoeing on weekends, and a daily regimen of home exercises. It worked well enough for me. Running is the best, though, and I miss it.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Gator eye

I was a band geek, last to get picked for any sport and first to catch one in the face during dodge ball. LOL

I don't get why people have to dress up if they're only going to ride for a couple of hours and at a very slow speed. I find it silly...

Had the awkward experience this weekend of running "with" a cyclist. He merged onto the road I was on and we moved together (on opposite sides of the street) for like 15 minutes (about 2 miles). He was all decked out. It was all very uncomfortable. Just a long straight slight uphill. Exact same pace. Mercifully I eventually turned off to another road and ended our dance.

To the question: football, hockey, baseball in high school. Baseball in college. Club hockey in grad school. Then beer league hockey until broken ankle convinced me I was too old for that crap.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes