Beginners and Beyond

Following a Training Plan Actually is Sensible (As I Slap Myself Upside the Head) (Read 108 times)

For my previous three half marathons, I followed a training plan which a co-worker emailed me.  It primarily consisted of running X amount of miles on this day or that day. And I ran those miles always at the same pace whatever my body could sustain on that run.  No variation of pace.

So I decided a different approach for my first marathon in November.  After reviewing several plans on line and in books, I came across a training plan which seemed most beneficial for me.

It's a 24 week plan which consists of base pace run days, some hill repetitions with recovery paces before and after, some base pace running with some prescribed fartleks during the course of the run so far as I just finished my first seven weeks.  This week I engage in my second recovery week cycle of the training plan.

As I progress through the training schedule, there are interval days, endurance runs, tempo runs, and races mixed in as well.

The net result is my body recovers sooner from Sunday long runs, and  has & will appreciate the recovery weeks.  The first litmus test will be a  HM in the first weekend in October.

I just wanted to post this information for fellow beginners that a varied training plan other than run X miles on this or that day will reap benefits for you.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Love the Half

Variety is always good.  You challenge your body to react in different ways to different stresses and that helps it to improve.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Birdwell

Nice!

What plan is it, if I may ask?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I just wanted to post this information for fellow beginners that a varied training plan other than run X miles on this or that day will reap benefits for you.

Haven't I heard that somewhere else, too? Wink

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

meaghansketch

Following a good training plan is sensible indeed!

(there are some that wouldn't be sensible at all to follow!)

Keep track of how you're doing as you progress through the plan.  I think that one of the reasons I've continued to improve (if slowly) over a fairly long period of time is learning what works for me and what doesn't, and trying different things when I think something is not working for me.  Learn from your training to be able to get the most out of it, now and in future training cycles.

Glad you're having success and hope that your litmus test shows the improvements you're looking for!

LRB

There are those of us whom suffer from Attention Deficit Disorder (who in the hell says it's a disorder anyway), who cannot be bothered with a structured training plan those first few times out.

At some point however, we invariably end up with a similar conclusion as you.  ; )

Birdwell - The plan is one by Matt Fitzgerald which includes optional nonimpact cardio cross-training workout  and two resistance workouts per week.  It's from his Brain Training for Runners.

Meaghansketch - I also plan to run in a 5K, 10K, and possibly a 10 miler which I have run last year.  I can gauge my time and also my fitness level.  I want to remain healthy and feel confident as I gradually increase my weekly mileage.

LTH and WCRunner2 - you guys are the knowledge base from which novices like myself glean from your postings.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

meaghansketch

I have had a lot of success with the plans in "Brain Training For Runners".  I got the book after my 3rd HM finish between 2:01 and 2:04.  I thought that improving my mental game would help me finally break the 2-hour mark.

My next half (not a goal race, did 21 miles the Saturday prior and didn't really taper) I managed a 1:54.  The next one after that (again, I don't think I really tapered, but I'd have to look it up) was a 1:52.

I don't think you've gotten there yet in the plan, but his mixed intervals are my all-time favorite workout, and I think they provide a great physical and psychological stimulus especially for the HM distance.

meagansketch - thanks for the feedback and encouragement regarding the plans.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Variety is good, as Brad and George have said, and following a plan is even better.  Enjoy the journey!

Damaris

Love the Half

Count me in the category of those who don't think following a plan is a great idea.  A much better approach, IMHO, is to outline your intended training approach first and that requires analysis of your strengths and weaknesses.  Both race results and your training will indicate these fairly clearly.  Think about the areas of speed, stamina, and endurance and how they relate to your goal race.  In terms of importance, I would think the following at various common race distances:

5K - Speed, stamina, endurance

10K - Stamina, speed, endurance

HM - Stamina, endurance, speed

Marathon - Endurance, stamina, speed

Now, as you start to develop your training outline, think about what's important in your goal race in terms of speed, stamina, and endurance, and cross reference that to your current abilities.  You may be coming off a marathon training cycle and are now thinking of focusing on 5K's for a while.  Because you just trained for a marathon, you likely have very good endurance, pretty good stamina, and weak speed.  The problem with canned training plans is that they tend to focus on none of these elements because they hit all of them evenly.

If you have 12 weeks to prepare for a 5K, a better approach in your situation would be to spend about 8 weeks focused primarily on speed with a few stamina workouts and perhaps only one long run a month to maintain your endurance.  After all, your endurance is your strongest asset at this point but it's the least important aspect of a 5k.  Then, in the last 4 weeks, you start doing more race specific workouts that focus primarily on stamina with a nod to maintaining your speed and probably a couple of long runs.

Will a canned plan help you to improve?  Sure.  But not as much as if you take the time to analyze your strengths and weaknesses, correlate them against what is needed to do well in your goal race, and then develop a training outline based on those things.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Shall we create the runner's continuum?

1. Goes for runs, no plans (not someone who chooses this path, but does so because of ignorance of the alternatives)
                          2. Follows beginner's plans to the letter
                          3. Follows advanced plans to the letter
                          4. Makes modifications within the plan he/she is using based on current health and progress
                          5. Creates own plan using knowledge of current fitness, strengths and weaknesses while adapting and including training approaches from a variety of plans and accepted scientific running knowledge

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

meaghansketch

Shall we create the runner's continuum?

1. Goes for runs, no plans (not someone who chooses this path, but does so because of ignorance of the alternatives)
                            2. Follows beginner's plans to the letter
                            3. Follows advanced plans to the letter
                            4. Makes modifications within the plan he/she is using based on current health and progress
                            5. Creates own plan using knowledge of current fitness, strengths and weaknesses while adapting and including training approaches from a variety of plans and accepted scientific running knowledge

I like this, but might add-

4A?) Chooses from a variety of approaches a plan that is best suited to current fitness, strengths, weaknesses, as well as schedule/non-running life factors; is able to modify plan based on current health and progress

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

4A?) Chooses from a variety of approaches a plan that is best suited to current fitness, strengths, weaknesses, as well as schedule/non-running life factors; is able to modify plan based on current health and progress

I think that's just a better number 4 altogether

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

How does this differ from #5?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                                      06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.