Beginners and Beyond

Marshall HM RR - short and sweet, a PR and an A/G award (Read 64 times)

Little Blue

On Sunday I ran the Marshall University HM in Huntington, WVa., for the second time.  I PR'd here last year, and was hoping to do it again.  I've been training a bit more consistently this year, so I had high hopes.

The morning was cold, 37 with a breeze.  I opted to suck it up and wear shorts and long sleeves.  I was chilly but OK.  I lined up just in front of the 2 hour pacer, and hoped to stay ahead of them.  They passed me somewhere in mile one or two, but I passed them back and never saw them again.  I was hitting a pace of 8:45-9:00 for the first six miles, when my Garmin died.  I had been generally bunched up with several other people for a while, so I picked out a couple of guys and stuck with them.  I chatted for a brief time with Al, who was a good pace bunny.  In the last couple of miles, I felt odd, like I couldn't quite feel my legs, and that I was running very slowly.  The one hill that kicked my butt last year was a non-event this year, so that was good.  I didn't get the feeling of just wanting it to be over.

I finished in 1:56:43, a PR by a little less than two minutes.  Al finished about 20 seconds ahead of me, and hung by the line till I crossed to give me a high-five.  That was nice, as the only other person I knew was still on the course.

Overall 233/1051, Gender 76/718, A/G 3/42.  Yep, I placed.  They were giving out various glass doo-dads, so I chose something that looks suitable for decanting adult beverages.

LRB

So your training paid off then, that is great!  That feeling (or lack thereof) in your legs late in the race sounds about right.  What did the post-race imbibification consist of?

Robert31320

Team TJ

Nice!

Running for TJ because he can't.

Little Blue

LRB - I am ashamed to admit, we did not imbibify.  We had a bottle of wine with us, but by the time we had early dinner, neither of us wanted it, and we were so tired we just gave up early.

Robert - Thanks! 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job on the PR and AG award!  Congrats!

Damaris

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on your PR and AG award.  Sounds like your training paid off.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

A PR is always nice. Good stuff. Smile

hog4life

Congrats on the PR and AG place.

Congratulations on your PR!.  The non-event hill is a great feeling on a course which you previously run.  Obviously, your conditioning is in a good place.  Well done.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

delicate flower

Way to go, Little Blue!  Placing in a HM isn't easy.  Great job, and congrats on the PR!

<3

You Rang?

Well Done!  PR's a nice.  AG awards are even nicer!  Congratulations.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

PADRunner

A PR and AG award, great job!

outoftheblue

What an awesome job!   Congrats on the PR and AG award.   I think you have a tremendous amount of natural talent and it's really good to see you racing.  

Life is good.

Love the Half

Congrats on getting some bling.  I thought the AG awards this year were really cool.  Looks like you ran a great race in what were pretty good conditions this year.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Wow! Congrats on the PR and placing in a half! Big grin

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]