Beginners and Beyond

Hopeful Thursdailies (Read 44 times)

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I agree with both Shari, LRB, and Baboon (well, not both because they are three!).  Except you should not run fast all the time.  You need to run fast some of the time, in the form of MP runs or a variation of that (for marathons), HMP pace for HMs, etc.  If what you mean is to run race pace on your easy runs, the answer would be no.

The 2nd chapter of Daniel's book goes in to this a bit. Basically you're putting different stress on your system. Different training paces stress different systems. Really through training you're able to take on my training stress. That translates in to faster paces and/or more intense workouts.

When I think about my training, my confusion comes in where I'm seeing large gains during a training period. Specific to Daniels and my upcoming FM: When I started I was using a 41 vDOT to calculate my GMP. I just ran a 45 vDOT in my 10k last Saturday. Should I start shooting for a more aggressive GMP or just sandbag? My current plan is to keep it GMP + 5 or 10 through the 13.1, then GMP through 20. Then GMP -5/10/15 the rest of the way depending on how I'm feeling.

- Andrew

Dad on the run.

Hello everyone, perhaps I'm doomed for failure? Perhaps the mere mention of anything longer than 6.2 miles throws my body into a fit of outrage and it makes devious plans behind my back and strikes with the utmost intensity.

You all know I've been having what I have been saying was ITBS, well I'm confident that is what I have, its a flaming, agonizing pain on the outside of my left knee, its been slowy getting better and I've been doing everything I could think of to help alleviate the problem. Well lastnight I take my daughter upstairs to give her a bath and I had the towel wrapped around her, under her arms and carried her upstairs. After I bathed her she wanted me to carry her downstairs the same way... this is when things got really bad, about half way down the stairs I had a "mac truck sized" stabbing pain in the same area its been hurting. I managed to not drop my child and hobbled down the stairs, went over to the love seat and just bent over in pain grabbing my knee. I've never experienced pain this bad since I was 5 and broke my leg, it was a hot stabbing intense pain and it wasn't letting up. I sat in my office chair, took 4 ibuprofen, runned it down with some pain cream (wife works for a compounding pharamacy) wrapped my leg with an ace bandage and just sat there with a bag of ice on it, after all this the pain was only marginally better.

I finally went to bed last night and awoke this morning to feeling just a tad bit better, I can walk with a stiff leg and it don't hurt to bad, but the minute I try to bend my leg more than about 20 degrees its seering hot pain. THe odd thing is I could go up the steps with minimal pain but if I tried to come down the stairs normally the pain was unbearable. I would have to stiff leg my way down one step at a time...

Why is this happening to me? I roll, stretch, strength train... Sad

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Hip Redux

That sounds way more intense than ITBS.   ITBS hurts, but not to that extent - at least not that I've ever heard of?   I would be seeing a doctor, for sure.  Sad

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ouch, Jimmy.  Hope it's nothing major.

Damaris

Zelanie

Jimmy- Sorry that you're going through this!  I would roll more.  Lots more. Smile

My mystery track workout ended up being 4 x 1000 at tempo, then 6 x 200 at R pace with 200m recoveries.  Not bad at all, except that I failed to program my watch correctly, so I did stop after the first 200 to fix it.  My same-pace RP was there again, so it was a good time.  Tonight is the social run, so 5-6ish.

Oski- My ITBS was like that.  But a lot of rolling and a week of rest fixed it right up.

Hip Redux

Your ITBS felt as bad as breaking your leg?  Yikes, ok, I'll stop complaining about mine then lol

Zelanie

Well I've never broken a bone, so I don't know about that.  But yeah, it was very acute and painful.  When it first came on, I just stood there on the trail wondering how I was even going to be able to get back to the road that was just barely out of sight.

But maybe that's because I didn't know to pay attention to warning signs ahead of time?  Now the slightest twinge and I am all over my roller.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I remember Amanda in ATL tore (is this how you say it?) her ITB and I remember she describes it as being very painful.

Damaris

outoftheblue

Good morning runners!

I had a pretty dismal 5 mile run yesterday.  Legs felt heavy, tight and sore and 5 miles felt tough.  I'm pretty sure this is just taper madness.  Off today and one last shake-out-the-legs run tomorrow.   At least this one is just for fun.  I'm hoping for a clear day so I can really enjoy the coastal views.  Last year it was so foggy you really couldn't see the ocean except for a few places where the trail ran right next to it.

jblack -- wow, that sounds painful.   Hope it is not serious and resolves itself quickly.

Life is good.

Dad on the run.

Trying to make a Dr appt for tomorrow not that I have the time to be going but whatever... I need something for this, I don't think I can deal with it another day hurting this bad.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Ric-G

kay -  +1 on the coffee

baboon - have a good ocho

marjorie - meetings...don't mention that word

lilac - heal up

step - beautiful area

D - nice job in the the heat

oski - thx for the tip

brr - agree about confusion on paces

lrb - interesting stuff...how's the back/hip

jblack - sorry to hear that

zel - nice track work

blue - wouldn't worry about how the 5 felt at this point

did 11 this morning with 10@7:30. finally had nice cloud cover and not that f-ed up heat. have a great day all!

marathon pr - 3:16

LRB

When I think about my training, my confusion comes in where I'm seeing large gains during a training period. Specific to Daniels and my upcoming FM: When I started I was using a 41 vDOT to calculate my GMP. I just ran a 45 vDOT in my 10k last Saturday. Should I start shooting for a more aggressive GMP or just sandbag? My current plan is to keep it GMP + 5 or 10 through the 13.1, then GMP through 20. Then GMP -5/10/15 the rest of the way depending on how I'm feeling.

If you are using Daniels, you would train at your current vdot, whatever that is.  The caveat of course is if you are in the middle of training for a marathon, which you are.  So the question you have to ask is have you had enough time training at this new vdot, to justify an attempt at its correlating MP.  If the answer is no, then continue on your current path.

I do not quite understand your last sentence but it looks like you are planning a positive split.  Marathons should be to run as even splits as you possibly can, or a slight negative split, while understanding that a fade late in the race is normal.  Planning for a positive split however, as has been told to me, is a blowup waiting to happen.

LRB

Why is this happening to me? I roll, stretch, strength train...

I have had ITBS but nothing to that extent.  I am one of the few who was able to correct my problem without rolling my band, something that did not sound appealing to me

Have you discovered the root cause of your problem?  Do you run on a cambered (sloped) surface or are you running in the right type of shoes?

Even a few degrees of slant on a sidewalk is enough to cause continued problems.  Something else that is sometimes overlooked is running in the same direction on the same route every time you run.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Good morning runners!

I had a pretty dismal 5 mile run yesterday.  Legs felt heavy, tight and sore and 5 miles felt tough.  I'm pretty sure this is just taper madness.  Off today and one last shake-out-the-legs run tomorrow.   At least this one is just for fun.  I'm hoping for a clear day so I can really enjoy the coastal views.  Last year it was so foggy you really couldn't see the ocean except for a few places where the trail ran right next to it.

jblack -- wow, that sounds painful.   Hope it is not serious and resolves itself quickly.

Oh, yeah, you're ready.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Trying to make a Dr appt for tomorrow not that I have the time to be going but whatever... I need something for this, I don't think I can deal with it another day hurting this bad.

As to the question of why is this happening to you, there could be various things to consider: shoes, too much too soon, or some imbalance.  Usually, these things are not the cause of the issue (ITB is not the issue) but something else causing your ITB to hurt.  Hope the doctor can find the answer to that as it is an important step so it does not happen again.

Damaris