Beginners and Beyond

Cat Calls - What do you Think? (Read 118 times)

Birdwell

This is why I always select "OTHER." 

I always select the "choose not to disclose" option if it's available.

happylily

Birdwell, read this: Obtaining data on patient race, ethnicity and primary language in health care organizations. I didn't read it myself, and it's from 2006, so maybe things have changed. But from briefly looking at it, it sounds like the question of race was being asked for health care services in 2006, no?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Philliefan33

Maybe when asked to identify our race we should write in "human".

Ive never been subjected to any lewd comments or antics while running, but I usually run in my neighborhood or in places where I don't pass many people who are not also running/walking/biking. Fellow exercisers aren't interested in bothering each other.

I did get a wolf whistle from a car full of teenage boys. It made me laugh, if they only knew how old I am they would have been grossed out.

Birdwell

Birdwell, read this: Obtaining data on patient race, ethnicity and primary language in health care organizations. I didn't read it myself, and it's from 2006, so maybe things have changed. But from briefly looking at it, it sounds like the question of race was being asked for health care services in 2006, no?

Why are you stuck on this point? Why are you linking to something you're unwilling to read yourself?

If you walk into the hospital in the Etats-Unis they will treat you.

They may ask for data for billing purposes, but anyone can and many do opt out from disclosing the information.

You are not required to disclose racial or ethnic data if you don't want to.

The next time I have to answer the race question on anything I'm going to list 5 K minimarathon.

happylily

You are very sensitive, mister Birdwell.  I glanced at it, I did not read it, true. I was curious, but not enough. I'm not trying to say it's bad that the HSR does that. I personally think it's maybe a good idea to ask such questions. It helps determine if one hospital should have staff who can speak one language in particular. Or if one race is more likely to get a genetic condition, etc... I'm not certain, but I think we do ask these types of questions here. I'll look it up, but I won't let you know what I find, for fear you bite my head off. 

If you walk into the hospital in the Etats-Unis they will treat you.

They may ask for data for billing purposes, but anyone can and many do opt out from disclosing the information

I don't think I ever said that an American hospital would treat someone or not based on race...

happylily

Also, I'm not "stuck" on this point, as you say. I was only answering to this previous post of yours:

Not sure how it works in the vast multi-cultural metropolis of Quebec, but here in America, they don't need to know your race at the hospital to treat you.

You don't need or require it, but it looks like maybe the question is asked after all. No big deal, like I said. Don't get all upset.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Why is Alien or ET never a choice?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Because race and ethnicity can be important in a medical setting.  Your race can make you predisposed to specific diseases.

Running is dumb.

Birdwell

You are very sensitive, mister Birdwell.  I glanced at it, I did not read it, true. I was curious, but not enough. I'm not trying to say it's bad that the HSR does that. I personally think it's maybe a good idea to ask such questions. It helps determine if one hospital should have staff who can speak one language in particular. Or if one race is more likely to get a genetic condition, etc... I'm not certain, but I think we do ask these types of questions here. I'll look it up, but I won't let you know what I find, for fear you bite my head off. 

I'm not sensitive. I'm just tired. The baby is being a baby. It's not your fault (of course) so I won't bite off your head.

I may have a child or two for sale in the very near future. . . .

There's a double standard here, because "I feel objectified when a carload of women drive by, honk, and yell 'woooo!' out the window" said no man ever. Tongue

Seriously though, it does suck that there are guys who want to be intimidating, but they don't only target women.  Having a pickup truck suddenly aimed right at me is not cool at all.

Birdwell

There's a double standard here, because "I feel objectified when a carload of women drive by, honk, and yell 'woooo!' out the window" said no man ever. Tongue

Seriously though, it does suck that there are guys who want to be intimidating, but they don't only target women.  Having a pickup truck suddenly aimed right at me is not cool at all.

That happened to me yesterday. I did feel something. It was rage because they turned right in front of me and came within 5 feet of hitting me.

I picked up a rock and carried it for 1/4 mil just in case I saw that car again. I was angry.

RSX

I had an old lady try to trip me once for running on her sidewalk . Some people are just a-holes

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Because race and ethnicity can be important in a medical setting.  Your race can make you predisposed to specific diseases.

It's true.

From a billing or insurance standpoint I don't know if race is collected as part of the patient registration process or not.  I can tell you, however, that it is noticed from a health care provider perspective because it can clue us in to the potential for certain diseases.  It is also important for a health care provider to note the ethnic background of a patient as there are some conditions where ethnicity can help determine which medication will work best in certain disease processes.

Of course this has nothing to do with anyone being cat called.

As for chocolate as a descriptive term for people of African descent, you might remember former New Orleans mayor Ray Nagan and his "chocolate city" speech delivered on MLK day in 2006.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

happylily

I'm not sensitive. I'm just tired. The baby is being a baby. It's not your fault (of course) so I won't bite off your head.

I may have a child or two for sale in the very near future. . . .

Sorry about the sleepless nights. I remember how tough that was... But it is so worth it eventually. Don't sell your children, they are your best investment.