Beginners and Beyond

Cat Calls - What do you Think? (Read 118 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Oh pooh on you guys, I figured using the term was better than saying black.  My bad.

Well, I've never been called any color....chocolate, vanilla, or whatever.  But I have been called  'idiot' at times...and idiots come in all colors....so I guess I'm 'rainbow'.... 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I have never understood why do we have to check any race whatsoever.  I am supposed to check Latino/Hispanic, yet I am white and consider myself Puerto Rican (which is not even a race).  This all tends to confuse me all the time, so I just check Latino/Hispanic and brace for the questions like: "but, you're white," and "where is your visa (I'm so stupid not to know you don't need one)"?

Well, on the applications and stuff I fill out that have the "race" thing, I just always put  "5K and 10K".... 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

onemile

I have not been cat called in a way that scared me.  I've gotten "hey,baby"'ed but it didn't make me feel intimidated, but that can be kind of situational.  But I have been yelled at out a car window a few times. Usually it's just something dumb like "RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN" but enough to make me jump.  Which I guess is the intention.  And trucks revving their engines as they go by.  

But mostly I feel comfortable where I run.  It really sucks to have to feel intimidated or uncomfortable running because of crude comments.

Zelanie

I don't get catcalls, except for one person who yelled for me to "take up yoga" while I was out running in the rain.

I DO get shoutouts, mostly from people I know, which is always nice.  I was feeling all sluggish and sorry for myself on Wednesday when somebody I kinda know from work went past and told me that I was "an inspiration."  Yikes, I guess I'd better perk up and stop feeling whiny then!  Inspirations shouldn't be shuffling along grumpily, past the beautiful river with the herons out fishing.

I head that I am going to have to get used to catcalls in Costa Rica, though.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have not been cat called in a way that scared me.  I've gotten "hey,baby"'ed but it didn't make me feel intimidated, but that can be kind of situational.  But I have been yelled at out a car window a few times. Usually it's just something dumb like "RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN" but enough to make me jump.  Which I guess is the intention.  And trucks revving their engines as they go by.  

But mostly I feel comfortable where I run.  It really sucks to have to feel intimidated or uncomfortable running because of crude comments.

Do you live in a high crime area?  Because I also think it varies where you are located.  In here, last thing on my mind is that people want to be nice (yet, sometimes they are, like the old man that told me to get out of the rain and that he would drive me back home, young lady, if I needed to).

One time, a truck hunk his horn at me.  He was 1 feet away from the crosswalk and instead of making me feel loved, he scared the shit out of me, thinking the light had changed and I was about to be flattened by this huge truck twice as tall as me.

Damaris

happylily

One time, some guys threw a cup of coffee at my from their car. Missed me by a foot. For some reason, I'm not sure it was a catcall. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RSX

Some nice guy recently told me to run on the f en sidewalk. Nice he was just thinking about my safety.

Yugo18

There's a double standard here, because "I feel objectified when a carload of women drive by, honk, and yell 'woooo!' out the window" said no man ever. Tongue

Seriously though, it does suck that there are guys who want to be intimidating, but they don't only target women.  Having a pickup truck suddenly aimed right at me is not cool at all.

I am sure you were being jokey, but this is because of the historic, cultural/social disempowerment of women (as intellectuals, as individuals, as people), where a woman's value was usually predicated on either how much money her family had or, especially commonly and across all classes, her looks.  If most men don't feel objectified, it's because our culture has a centuries-long history of letting men know they are not primarily evaluated on the basis of their looks.  Neither are they today.  We are still only working on the women.

I know I am doing the annoying, serious thing, but .

#artbydmcbride

One time, some guys threw a cup of coffee at my from their car. Missed me by a foot. For some reason, I'm not sure it was a catcall. 

Were they Canadian?

Runners run

happylily

Were they Canadian?

They were Quebecers. Much worse. 

SheCan

I've had catcalls where I think they were trying to be complementary.  I honestly don't think I've had any where they were intentionally trying to be degrading, however, to me, it is embarrassing.  It puts me in a spot I'm quite uncomfortable with.  I know especially when I was younger and less secure, I'd end up feeling quite vulnerable.  Not that it happens much now, thank goodness; I deal better with quiet, one on one interactions.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

MothAudio

When I was younger I [like most runners]  endured plenty of abuse when I was out running. Over the years two things changed. 1>. Runners have become much more commonplace and [seemingly] more accepted by the general public which seems to have tempered the abuse we receive. 2>. I've aged. Apparently senior citizens aren't considered target-rich.

Since, I've pretty much heard every lame comment directed toward runners I've refined a healthy volume of comebacks. Anymore I'm amused not iritated. EX: Just this morning during my cool down a woman commented on the length of my shorts... and then said she could see my private parts [seriously]. Not skipping a beat  I replied it worked for me back in '73, no reason to change now. Needless to say I didn't stick around for her reply.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

happylily

When I was younger I [like most runners]  endured plenty of abuse when I was out running. Over the years two things changed. 1>. Runners have become much more commonplace and [seemingly] more accepted by the general public which seems to have tempered the abuse we receive. 2>. I've aged. Apparently senior citizens aren't considered target-rich.

Since, I've pretty much heard every lame comment directed toward runners I've refined a healthy volume of comebacks. Anymore I'm amused not iritated. EX: Just this morning during my cool down a woman commented on the length of my shorts... and then said she could see my private parts [seriously]. Not skipping a beat  I replied it worked for me back in '73, no reason to change now. Needless to say I didn't stick around for her reply.

LOL... I say it often, but... people are weird.  There is a double standard there in that it's acceptable for women to wear short shorts or skirts, but men have to wear the parachute shorts. Good grief, they're just legs (with sometimes a little more, but who cares? )

MothAudio

I hope I'm able to pull off the short shorts. It's all I've ever run in except when I was coming back from my torn post-tib tendon, I put on 25 lbs and had to wear 5" inseam shorts because my thighs rubbed together. Been thinking about getting some board shorts for this Summer but not to comply with the whims of pop culture - never. I figure since I can't run fast I might as well have fun with it.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

happylily

I can't see why you'd have to stop wearing them. If they still make them and you can still fit in them, then it's acceptable. Board shorts? What are those? Like surf shorts?