Beginners and Beyond

Potential Big FE in about 2019? (Read 115 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

WCrunner made a suggestion to me about and FE for when I hit my 50,000 mile mark.   Of course, it is early days yet, but here is the conversation we had....I was thinking maybe y'all would like to come down and PARTY during Fiesta San Antonio time.  Knowing this far in advance would give anyone who comes plenty of time to arrange for hotels, etc.

Quote from wcrunner2 on 1/4/2015 at 8:04 AM:

Scotty, I'd like to make a suggestion. It looks like it will be about 5 more years before you reach 50,000. I think a lot of us would like the idea of celebrating that milestone with you. Any possibility that you could plan ahead to reach that at a race, let us know well ahead of time, and have a massive FE?

Sounds like a plan, George!  I will keep y'all posted!  If my back feels good over the next few years...maybe I can do it in 4 years and get my 50,000 mark the year I turn 65, in 2019.   If I figure right - and please correct me if I am wrong, math is definitely NOT my strong suit, lol - I have 4,321 miles to go to my 50,000.  So if I ran 1,080 miles a year, that would be, what about 90 miles a month?  So my weekly mileage would be about... 22.5 miles a week?   That is not really a big jump for me, as I am doing about 15 - 18 miles a week right now.   So that might be cool...50,000 mile mark in 2019 and a nice FE celebration of that and this old dog turning 65 that year.

Now I just have to figure out where to have the FE, a place convenient for everyone to get to.  I am pretty much limited to 5K and 10K events (stupid arthritis!)  so those probably can be found pretty much anywhere.   Although my birthday is in February, I'd prefer to do and FE in Spring sometime because (a) I HATE cold weather! and (b) hopefully the warmer time of the year will help anyone who flies in to avoid 'winter delays" etc.

ONE option, of course, is to have the FE during Fiesta San Antonio and right here in San Antonio.  Fiesta is typically in April and is just one big TEN DAY party, full of parades, margaritas and beer, singing and dancing, margaritas and beer, concerts, margaritas and beer...and several options for races over that time, there are about 5 different race events here during that time.   And of course, lots of good eating, drinking, etc., on the Riverwalk.   Also for those who have kids, plenty of things for the kiddies to do here too...San Antonio Sea World is here, Six Flags Fiesta Texas is here,  Morgan's Wonderland is a park primarily designed for the disabled, but also lots of stuff for EVERY small kid to do there, and so forth.   If you are a basketball fan, NBA San Antonio Spurs play here.  Here is the link for Fiesta San Antonio...it is a fun time of year:  http://www.fiesta-sa.org/

Thanks for the suggestion, George!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You're welcome, Scotty. My DW surprised me one year by having a plaque engraved with my name, 50,000 miles and the date I reached that. It's one of my prized possessions. That's what gave me the idea.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Little Blue

I'm thinking you'll have to rent out the county fairgrounds, Scotty.  Hopefully that would be enough room for your 3,000 imaginary running friends and their families.

Sounds like fun to me!

happylily

Did you say margaritas? Well, heck, count me in!

I would be honored to finally meet you and Gail, Scotty. I may not be running by 2019, but I will certainly still be traveling and I have long wanted to return to beautiful San Antonio. I'm flexible on the dates and I know that you would be great as far as advising on accommodation and places to visit. You have inspired and touched hundreds of us in the past years with your race stories, your positive attitude and your kindness to all, this would be a great way to show you our appreciation. Now why can't you run 4,000 miles in the coming year, like thelearnedfoot would do, so that we can all get together next year instead of waiting 4 years?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

StepbyStep-SH

Sounds like a plan!

I've wanted to get to that area in the spring since learning about the bluebells when I worked between Austin and San Antonio while pregnant with DS (I spent a couple of months in Marble Falls).

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

tracilynn

Woo PARTAY

~~~~~~~

Traci

PADRunner

I'd drive down for that!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

A run with Scotty and margaritas with Lily? I'm in.

From the Internet.

Count me in!! Big grin

I'd travel from the ATL to meet the No. 1 Skins fan in San Antonio and celebrate his awesome achievement.  A friend to runners and canines alike - no better combination.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Forum folk, beer, and lack of snow?  Oh yeah.

If April is the plan, just keep it clear of the weekend of the third Monday and I'm in.  Smile

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I think we will be able to squeeze that into our busy 2019 schedule.  Don't lose that spreadsheet !!!

Zelanie

Sounds interesting- definitely keep me in the loop!

Mmmmm...beer

ROAD TRIP!!! Smile  Sounds good to me!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Scotty, is this when they have the 3 day marathon/HM in SA?