Beginners and Beyond

Runner forfiets race over bib number (Read 191 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thank you.

I think it's ironic that I'm posting about a topic that I care zero about.  Haha.

Damaris

Tar Heel Mom

kween

The grammar nazi is watching Docket its Hanukkah. Wink

As it is a transliteration, not the actual spelling, it doesn't really matter what English letters you use. You can't misspell a transliteration as long as it gets pronounced properly. If you want to spell it correctly, it's chet, nun, kaf, hey.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

happylily

I posted this somewhere else and I'll post here as well.

73% of America is Christian. Chances are that when you say Merry Christmas to someone, they fall in that group. It's not meant to be offensive. Most of you know that I'm not religious, but I like it when people wish me a Merry Christmas, not a "happy holidays". Happy holidays isn't personal enough and it's being "careful", which I don't like. But it doesn't offend me. My Jewish neighbors wish me happy Jewish whatever all the time and I reciprocate. I love it!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Dad on the run.

Well, yeah, Christians outnumber everyone else in this country and no doubt whatever state and city you live in, so yeah, the numbers are on your side. That's why you are the ones that need to be more sensitive.

MTA: Quoted and saved forever.

Or perhaps you should understand that Christianity is for now the leading religion in this nation and just accept the fact that when someone says Merry Christmas all they are really doing is wishing you a happy holiday and not try to make a HUGE deal over it.

That would be like me going over seas to another country and telling them they should change the way they celebrate their holidays because it doesn't allign with what I believe since I'm the minority. That's just silly, I will accept it, see it for what it is and move on.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Here's a good example. How many people wished me good luck?  I appreciate it sincerely.  I say thank you.  I don't believe in luck.  I appreciate that you want me to do well.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I'll just leave this here.

You people have issues 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Awood: I wish we were neighbors.

Enough of this. PC, sensitivity, don't offend so and so. I am so sick of it. Just be a good person and things will hopefully take care of themselves.

Dad on the run.

HAHAHA that's funny! Oh wait no... I'm offended by that!

I'll just leave this here.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

TakeAHike

I grew up saying Merry Christmas, I will always say Merry Christmas. If you don't celebrate or believe in Christmas then feel free to reply back with whatever holiday you do believe in. I will put money on it that there will be far more people that will tell me Thank You and Merry Christmas right back rather than be offended by it or feel left out. Just sayin'

I think what feels appropriate may depend on where you live.  I work in NYC now and we have people of all backgrounds and religions.  I also grew up saying Merry Christmas to everyone.  I still do say this to friends, family and colleagues if I know they celebrate Christmas. However, I would feel rude if I said Merry Christmas to a colleague whom I know to be Jewish. Perhaps rude is not the right word, but rather indifferent to the fact that my colleague has a different cultural background than I do.  To me it's like saying "how are the kids?" to a colleague who has one child.  I should know better. Perhaps because there is a large Jewish population in and around New York City, I find it more inclusive to say Happy Holidays to strangers and people I don't know well.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Being offended takes too much energy, and its not a good look.  My buddy loves the phrase, "hail Satan".  He came to my baptism.  That's how we roll.  Then, we went out for drinks and he complimented my church for having an awesome band.

Awood: I wish we were neighbors.

Enough of this. PC, sensitivity, don't offend so and so. I am so sick of it. Just be a good person and things will hopefully take care of themselves.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Note: Not in response to any particular post or poster!

On a daily basis I smile and say thank you to people who offer me blessings from a god I don't believe exists.  I know it is an expression of goodwill in accordance with their beliefs and receive it as such.  For those same individuals to scold me when I say Happy Holidays, a similar expression of goodwill in accordance with my beliefs, is hypocritical and unkind.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I do agree no one should be offended when someone says Merry Christmas. As I've stated twice already, I am not offended by it.

In fact, I don't think anyone here said they were offended by anything. So quit whining that about people being offended. No one is.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I do agree no one should be offended when someone says Merry Christmas. As I've stated twice already, I am not offended by it.

In fact, I don't think anyone here said they were offended by anything. So quit whining that about people being offended. No one is.

If that was directed at me, I didn't say you were offended. I meant people in general. On any given day you can read about someone being offended about something and suing someone else or complaining to the school board or whatever. Sorry if you think I was whining. Now I'm off to tell my mommy and the ACLU.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good point.

On a daily basis I smile and say thank you to people who offer me blessings from a god I don't believe exists.  I know it is an expression of goodwill in accordance with their beliefs and receive it as such.  For those same individuals to scold me when I say Happy Holidays, a similar expression of goodwill in accordance with my beliefs, is hypocritical and unkind.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I agree with this, but I have never encountered anybody who was unhappy to hear "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." That sounds more like the Fox News annual warning that the world will devolve into an immoral cesspool in the next two weeks if everyone doesn't start saying "Merry Christmas" to everyone else RIGHT NOW!!