Beginners and Beyond

Runner forfiets race over bib number (Read 191 times)

#artbydmcbride

I do agree no one should be offended when someone says Merry Christmas. As I've stated twice already, I am not offended by it.

In fact, I don't think anyone here said they were offended by anything. So quit whining that about people being offended. No one is.

But you said it made you feel excluded...

Runners run

obiebyke

Oh, THM. We are kindred spirits. I like how both of us are Nazis even though we're Jewish, because we like correct grammar.

I am enjoying watching this (mostly) from the sidelines. It always amuses me how it's mostly white, straight, Christian men who are annoyed with requests to be culturally sensitive.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Tar Heel Mom

kween

But you said it made you feel excluded...

I did. It does. I need a kitty hug from you, ilene.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Oh, THM. We are kindred spirits. I like how both of us are Nazis even though we're Jewish, because we like correct grammar.

I am enjoying watching this (mostly) from the sidelines. It always amuses me how it's mostly white, straight, Christian men who are annoyed with requests to be culturally sensitive.

{{{obiebyke}}}

That's a Tar Heel hug. I'm still waiting for my kitty hug.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

obiebyke

My cat hugs you!

*Runs back to sidelines to watch the discussion continue*

{{{obiebyke}}}

That's a Tar Heel hug. I'm still waiting for my kitty hug.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Dad on the run.

I'm not annoyed, I'm just not going to change what I say because 1 person out of 50 feels excluded. If I personally know you and I know that Merry Christmas makes you feel excluded then sure I will wish you whatever you want, but I'm not going to say Happy Holidays to 50 strangers on the off chance that Merry Christmas might make one of them feel left out. That's just ridiculous.

How about everyone all get paid the same exact amount no matter what their current job is because we don't want one particular income class to feel left out because they make more or not enough as the other person.

Lets make all the seats in airplanes and movie theaters extra wide so even the really fat people can fit into one seat and not take up two because we don't want them to feel excluded.

We could play the exclusion card all day long so that everyone no matter race, religion, sex, or age are all 100% equal and we all live in this big happy place full of smiles, hugs, unicorns and rainbows.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

TxDiverMom

Personally, I think too many people are too damn sensitive.

This!

Evidently, I am not easily offended by ANYTHING!!!  People say crap to me often that seems to offend others.  I just don't care that much and most things almost everything isn't worth the effort that it takes on my part to actually be offended!  I'd rather forget it all and have a beer!

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I'm not annoyed, I'm just not going to change what I say because 1 person out of 50 feels excluded. If I personally know you and I know that Merry Christmas makes you feel excluded then sure I will wish you whatever you want, but I'm not going to say Happy Holidays to 50 strangers on the off chance that Merry Christmas might make one of them feel left out. That's just ridiculous.

How about everyone all get paid the same exact amount no matter what their current job is because we don't want one particular income class to feel left out because they make more or not enough as the other person.

Lets make all the seats in airplanes and movie theaters extra wide so even the really fat people can fit into one seat and not take up two because we don't want them to feel excluded.

We could play the exclusion card all day long so that everyone no matter race, religion, sex, or age are all 100% equal and we all live in this big happy place full of smiles, hugs, unicorns and rainbows.

With less than half Americans saying they attend church regularly and about 2/3 self identifying as "Christians" your 1/50 comment is a little off base.

You people have issues 

SusanRachel

It amazes and saddens me the number of people in this thread mocking this young woman's religious beliefs.  The United States keeps talking about how it is "open minded" and "tolerant," yet let someone have a deeply held religious beliefs, especially Christian, and they will be mocked and vilified.  The officials absolutely knew that the reason she didn't want the number was because of Christian religious beliefs.  They just didn't care because it is perfectly acceptable to be intolerant of Christians.

RSX

With less than half Americans saying they attend church regularly and about 2/3 self identifying as "Christians" your 1/50 comment is a little off base.

Not going to church doesn't make me an atheist

happylily

This!

Evidently, I am not easily offended by ANYTHING!!!  People say crap to me often that seems to offend others.  I just don't care that much and most things almost everything isn't worth the effort that it takes on my part to actually be offended!  I'd rather forget it all and have a beer!

The thing that I do not understand is that wishing anyone a happy whatever is usually done with only good intentions. My neighbors are Jewish and yet, they like when I wish them Merry Christmas. They even have a small Christmas tree in their home to celebrate the spirit of the holiday (Yes, I am aware that the tree and gift parts have nothing to do with the religious holiday itself... It's a seasonal tradition). I have friends that wish me Happy Chinese New Year even though they know it is not officially MY New Year... So what? Wish me anything happy and it makes me happy, I don't care if it's religious or not from my culture, I'm able to recognize the good intention behind the words. I kept all the mezuzahs that were left behind on my door frames when we purchased our house. They were there 40 years and I was not going to strip the house of its history. I don't care if it offends someone. Now those mezuzahs are mine. nah nah... Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

#artbydmcbride

((((TarHeelMom))))  there there sweetie!  purrrrrrr!

Runners run

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

That's why you aren't grumplily, but happylily.

The thing that I do not understand is that wishing anyone a happy whatever is usually done with only good intentions. My neighbors are Jewish and yet, they like when I wish them Merry Christmas. They even have a small Christmas tree in their home to celebrate the spirit of the holiday (Yes, I am aware that the tree and gift parts have nothing to do with the religious holiday itself... It's a seasonal tradition). I have friends that wish me Happy Chinese New Year even though they know it is not officially MY New Year... So what? Wish me anything happy and it makes me happy, I don't care if it's religious or not from my culture, I'm able to recognize the good intention behind the words. I kept all the mezuzahs that were left behind on my door frames when we purchased our house. They were there 40 years and I was not going to strip the house of its history. I don't care if it offends someone. Now those mezuzahs are mine. nah nah... Big grin

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

happylily

That's why you aren't grumplily, but happylily.

Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

SheCan

No offence to anyone, or equal offence to everyone:  I respect people's right to have whatever religion they chose, I just have little respect for religion in general.  *shrugs shoulder*

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson