Beginners and Beyond

Something new SaturDAILIES (Read 34 times)

StepbyStep-SH

Take on a new challenge today! Or encourage someone else to do it. Wink

I'm doing the encouraging - DS has his first ever triathlon today. He can use a pool noodle on the swim (one lap), 1 mile bike, 400m run.

I was short on both time and energy for my run today. 7.5+ this morning when it should have been 13 - short on time and energy. The original workout had included 8 at MP; instead, I did 3x1 at HMP+:10, HMP-:10, and 10kP. And somehow, I managed to stop my watch with the time at 1:11:11.
    Yesterday was just under 5 miles slow and easy with a group, then watching DS do a track meet in drizzly rain. He did long jump, the 200m and the 400m, and had a lot of fun. But now he's wanting to try the mile ... don't know where the kid would pick up the crazy idea that longer=better.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Zelanie

I went to the expo for my HM today.  I've never been to a HM big enough to have an expo, pacers, etc.  There wasn't a ton of stuff there, but I did get my name on my shirt for $3, and bought one of those versatile headband thingies.

I met with the 1:55 pacer, too.  He says that he is going to start out ahead of pace (yikes, I know), BUT that's because the first 10K is a downhill (point to point course).  After that, it's rolling hills the rest of the way.  So he plans to be 1 minute ahead by the 10K point, then ease up a bit in the hills.  To me, that sounds reasonable, and it might be nice to have to company.  Plus, theoretically the way my training has been going, 1:55 shouldn't be an aggressive pace anyway.  I can always ease up if he ends up taking off like a bat out of hell.

4 easy for me in a bit.

Step- Good luck to DS!  That's awesome that he has been trying to many activities lately!

happylily

Good morning ladies and scoundrels, ruffians and scalawags! (Is this better, Baboon? )

Good luck, Kevin! Shari, it's awesome that Kevin can get a taste of physical training and competition in this manner. The earlier the better. And in 10 years, he will be training with you for fulls and ultras! Sounds like you had a strong run this morning despite having to cut it short. I find that in the summer, it's hard to do a workout which involves both speed and distance. It's either one or the other. The heat zaps us of all energy.

I have 10 easy miles with 8 strides this morning. But first, a week's worth of pots and pans are waiting for my gentle touch in the kitchen and the stairway carpet needs a thorough cleaning. For some reason, the cat's litter stuff ends up scattered on the dark burgundy steps and it looks gross. Such menial tasks for an important person such as myself. sigh... But it's my life and I accept it. Yes, I am humble like that.

Have a great day, everyone!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

I went to the expo for my HM today.  I've never been to a HM big enough to have an expo, pacers, etc.  There wasn't a ton of stuff there, but I did get my name on my shirt for $3, and bought one of those versatile headband thingies.

I met with the 1:55 pacer, too.  He says that he is going to start out ahead of pace (yikes, I know), BUT that's because the first 10K is a downhill (point to point course).  After that, it's rolling hills the rest of the way.  So he plans to be 1 minute ahead by the 10K point, then ease up a bit in the hills.  To me, that sounds reasonable, and it might be nice to have to company.  Plus, theoretically the way my training has been going, 1:55 shouldn't be an aggressive pace anyway.  I can always ease up if he ends up taking off like a bat out of hell.

4 easy for me in a bit.

Step- Good luck to DS!  That's awesome that he has been trying to many activities lately!

How many participants will there be, Zel? Oh and good morning to you, lovely lady!

Zelanie

How many participants will there be, Zel? Oh and good morning to you, lovely lady!

Good morning!  It looks like there were maybe 4K finishers last year.  And apparently Ryan Hall won it.

happylily

Good morning!  It looks like there were maybe 4K finishers last year.  And apparently Ryan Hall won it.

Cool!

LRB

Oh and good morning to you, lovely lady!

She is that!  Oh, and she has fins too. 

LRB

And somehow, I managed to stop my watch with the time at 1:11:11.

There's something new right there!

And nice way to adjust your run based on the circumstances.  Smart!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have either an easy run or my LR, depending on husband.  Watching the World Cup match while doing my LR on the TM does not sound that bad compared to outside in triple digits.

Step, good luck to Kevin!

Z, good luck!

Lily,Hanson has strides?  Nice 10.

LRB, morning!

Damaris

LRB

There are the conditions to take into account as well, and I vote you to be the pacer as you would probably make a better one than him.

Whatever the case, you just want to have a good, strong race to validate your training and get past the other issues you have had.  All that other stuff is white noise.  Good luck!

happylily

Morning!  I have either an easy run or my LR, depending on husband.  Watching the World Cup match while doing my LR on the TM does not sound that bad compared to outside in triple digits.

Step, good luck to Kevin!

Z, good luck!

Lily,Hanson has strides?  Nice 10.

LRB, morning!

The plan says "Finish with 8x30 secs build-ups." To me, it sounds like the traditional Pfitz strides, which were 100m at X pace, which would usually take me about 30 secs. Of course, I could look at the explanation that came with the plan which Fuzzy sent me, but that would require some reading and putting my reading glasses on and, nah... don't feel like it...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

yeah, 30 secs are close to 100m strides.  I didn't know his 60-80mpw plan had those.  I have the plan; I just have never looked at it.

Damaris

LRB

LRB, morning!

'Sup.

I did 6 in my new Adidas Tempo 6.  It was good to be back out there again.

happylily

'Sup.

I did 6 in my new Adidas Tempo 6.  It was good to be back out there again.

Good morning! So, are you a scoundrel, a ruffian or a scalawag (that's a new word I learned this morning. Cool, isn't it?)? Because according to Phil, there are no gentlemen in here... Sorry. 

LRB

Good morning! So, are you a scoundrel, a ruffian or a scalawag (that's a new word I learned this morning. Cool, isn't it?)? Because according to Phil, there are no gentlemen in here... Sorry. 

Good morning to you, too!

And I am taken aback by the assumed grouping with the above, so my answer then is none of. 

I will have you know that I represent the Riff Raff of the internet.  You now stand corrected.