Beginners and Beyond

How not to attempt your first ultra (sort of an RR) (Read 102 times)

meaghansketch

Damaris made me promise to write an RR, so here is something like one.

How not to attempt your first ultra

1.  Do not plan.  Whatever you do, do not choose a race more than 10 days in advance.  If you choose a race too far in advance you'll have time to regret it and you might change your mind.

2.  Do not train.  If you do #1 properly this will be very easy.  Preferably, you shouldn't be training for any long distances at all, and if you've set aside the season to focus on 'nothing longer than 15K', that would be idea.

3.  If you do well in heat, choose a race in winter.  If you do well in cold, choose a race in summer.

4.  Do not taper.  Run as much as possible Monday through Friday, preferably as part of some dumb internet challenge.

5.  Choose a race that is at least 1.5 hours away on public transit, to ensure that you have to stand for as much time as possible before and after the race.

6.  Definitely go out drinking the night before, have several drinks, and get home after your bedtime.  Set your alarm for quarter to five.

I sent off my registration (by mail!  So old school!) for the Joe Kleinerman 12-hour run exactly one week before the race,which took place on June 7.  My only motivation to do the run was to rack up as many miles as possible for the 2014 in 2014 All-Star week.  I set myself a reach goal of 50K (31.1 miles) but kept it a very low-key goal:  I told myself if I did one mile it was fine, if I did 10 it was fine, if I did 30 it was fine.

The run took place on a .97(ish) mile loop in a park in Bayside, Queens.  Everything about the race was very well organized, the June weather was surprisingly mild-feeling (thanks to a low dewpoint) and I was surprised how pleasant it was running loop after loop.  I had a strategy to get to 50K (32 loops) although just before the race I found out that it would actually be 33 loops to get to 50K because the course was recently re-certified and had suffered some erosion.

My plan was:

8 loops running (while weather was coolest)

8 loops with 1-min walk break

8 loops with 2-min walk break

8 loops just getting through however I can.

The first 16 loops were surprisingly painless.  I had some great race advice from Shari and Damaris, two members of my 2014 in 2014 team who had run ultras.  I carried a handheld (water the first hour, nuun thereafter, which I was trying for the first time) and took some sort of food every 2nd lap.  Pretzels, potato chips, trail mix, cookies (I love love love sandwich cookies, but tried to limit these in favor of saltier fare), PBJ sandwiches cut into quarters, coke (this always tasted amazing, and was a great way to get in some calories).    I ran easy, had fun, ate food, felt pretty great.

At some point I took a brief sitting break to eat a bit of extra food and some dude (who wasn't even running the race!  Just walking in the park!)  Came over to interrogate me/ lecture me about my diet for some reason.  He asked me if my normal diet was like what I was eating at the moment, and I told him, yeah, my diet's about 80% pretzels.  I guess his sarcasm detector was broken because he proceeded to lecture me about diabetes.  Um, what?

Anyway.  I wanted that break to last a bit longer but I didn't feel like being lectured to so I started up again.

As it got hotter, the heat and the sunlight began to wear on me, and my breaks became longer and more frequent than I had planned.  At mile 23, I was doing more walking than running.  It was noon, the sun was directly overhead.  My hips hurt.  My knees hurt.  My ankles hurt.  My feet hurt.  I realized I was starting to get to the point where it wasn't really fun anymore, and I felt like I might be risking my other goals this season, if I had to spend too long recovering from this run.  I decided to call it a day at 27 laps, which measured out to 26.2 miles.

I feel like if this had been my goal race for the season, I would have had no problem getting several more laps in, but that wasn't the point of this run.  I told the volunteers I was done and began the commute home.  I am sure it sounds crazy, but I am actually thinking about doing another at some point (maybe when I actually am training for a marathon?) to get to the 50K mark.

I got a t-shirt but medals were only for those who completed at least 45 miles.

I took a bath in epsom salts later that day and felt surprisingly OK afterwards, certainly not like I'd run a marathon.  I have taken a little extra recovery time, running very few miles this week and most of them slowly, but I'm hoping to be more-or-less recovered by my 10K race tomorrow.  At least if I do badly, I'll have something to blame it on.

Love the Half

No really, I'm not laughing with you; I'm laughing at you.  Because your race prep sounds almost exactly like my race prep for my first ultra which was the Kanawha Trace 50K.  Shit.  I didn't even let the 10,000 feet of elevation change scare me.  LOL

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I will most certainly remember this.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Hip Redux

Wait, so your diet isn't 80% pretzels?    lol

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That sounds all too much like my Dawn to Dusk race the weekend before except I had been training - sort of.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Awesome!  Glad to have been of help, from the registration to the tips.  And da fuck with that guy?

Congrats!

Damaris

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Eek. More power to you.  I currently have zero interest in ultras, but am still astounded at you that do them.

And that guy? Should have reached over casually and thumped him in a ball, just one.

StepbyStep-SH

You rocked last week, Meaghan! I can't image taking public transit home after running 26.2 miles to wrap up a 70+ mile week. I'm glad that the advice helped, but you did all the work. These kinds of races are slightly addicting. Have fun with tomorrow's 10k! And be sure to drop into some random pre-race conversation how you ran a marathon distance on a whim the week before. Wink

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

At some point I took a brief sitting break to eat a bit of extra food and some dude (who wasn't even running the race!  Just walking in the park!)  Came over to interrogate me/ lecture me about my diet for some reason.  He asked me if my normal diet was like what I was eating at the moment, and I told him, yeah, my diet's about 80% pretzels.  I guess his sarcasm detector was broken because he proceeded to lecture me about diabetes.  Um, what?

Hilarious!

So does the result count as an ultra marathon for you despite it being the length of a marathon, or must it be at least 50k?

DavePNW

Um, nice marathon? What is it with you crazy people just throwing in an ultra, right in the middle of training for something else? (Known as "doing a Jay".)

Great job, especially impressive to be able to pull this off while training for shorter distances.

Dave

Zelanie

Nice work!  Great way to keep motivated for all-stars, if not really setting yourself up for the best race ever.  How funny that the guy came up to lecture you about nutrition in the middle of the race.

Congratulations!

meaghansketch

Hilarious!

So does the result count as an ultra marathon for you despite it being the length of a marathon, or must it be at least 50k?

Nah, that's why I said "attempt" in the title.  I know that *technically* anything over 26.2 counts as an ultra (but most people don't really count it until it's at least 50K) so I kind of didn't want to end up in that no-mans-land between the two... I didn't want to be replying 'sort of' (with a too-long explanation) if anyone asked if I had run an ultra.  'No' is easier Smile

meaghansketch

That sounds all too much like my Dawn to Dusk race the weekend before except I had been training - sort of.

You got *so* much further than me, George, though!  Ultras are a different animal entirely and I truly admire how much you have learned about them and how far you have come since you started doing them.  I know that I am just at the beginning of learning about them, and hope to learn a lot far and go a lot further in the future, even though they aren't really a target distance for me at the moment.

Thanks everyone for the comments Smile

I love everything about this report, but especially the pretzel diet.  Smile

Nice job on the impromptu marathon!

LRB

Nah, that's why I said "attempt" in the title.  I know that *technically* anything over 26.2 counts as an ultra (but most people don't really count it until it's at least 50K) so I kind of didn't want to end up in that no-mans-land between the two... I didn't want to be replying 'sort of' (with a too-long explanation) if anyone asked if I had run an ultra.  'No' is easier Smile

Ah, I got it.  Nice job on the miles as it were!  That takes a different mindset altogether but you have it and will be better off for your next go at it.

Do you have the next one penciled in yet?  North Coast perhaps, hmm?  You'll be "actually training for a marathon" then.  Juss sayin'.