Beginners and Beyond

15 Miles of Misery. An overly long CDR report. (Read 120 times)

Great job!  Can't imagine racing 15 in those conditions.

LRB

We may have to get the grammar police after you for using " I have drank Gatorade". Isn't it "I haved drinked" or maybe "I have drunken" or "I had drunk" or something like that. 

He is the grammar police, and on the east side whatever you drink is called drank, present or past tense.  ; )

Nice race, the only thing I can nitpick is mile 7 from last year to this year.  Must have been when the chafe monster reared its ugly head.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

That's a nice run and a nice report.

I can always grab some knowledge from your reports and this one is no exception.

Now, if I just had some of that speed!

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Excellent job, Brad, and congrats on the AG win.

You absolutely killed it towards the end compared to last year, that should bode well for your upcoming marathon.  Well done.

Love the Half

George - I do think the idea of holding back a bit was why I didn't crash like last year.  You can see the huge fade I had last year in the final miles and I didn't replicate that disaster this year.  Should I have held back even more?  I don't know.  Maybe next year I really will try to run the first couple of miles around a 7:00 pace just to see if I'm able to make up for that time in the flat 7 mile stretch to the finish.

D - Thanks.  I'm pleased.

Meaghan - I think the thing I'm most please about was my ability to maintain a good pace in the last five miles.  In Mile 12, I ran into some very strong headwinds and the guy who came in just in front of me said it slowed him down about 10 or 15 seconds as well.  There's a bit of a hill in Mile 14 so that one is a bit slower as well but other than that, I kept roughly a 6:50 pace going and that's what I need to break 3:00 in November so I am cautiously optimistic.

Lily - I meant to post, "I drank Gatorade" but somehow my keyboard typed in an unwanted "have."  Not sure what the hell happened.

Scap - I like the splits comparison as well.  Good data.

B-Plus - Sort of like, "I don't have a drinking problem; I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.  No problem."  Big grin

Lilac - That chafing is the weirdest thing ever.  I have been running for over five years in all kinds of weather and have never, ever experienced any problem like that before.

Kiwi - Thanks.  I'm pleased with the awards but, just to keep my head from getting too big, I got beaten by the guy who took first in the 55-59 AG and by the guy who took first in the 60-64 AG.

Mike - Terrific pics of the race.  Those do a decent job of conveying just how difficult that climb is.  I think the worst part about it is that it is relentless.  On most climbs, there's a climb and a flat and a climb and a flat but this just goes on and on and on and it doesn't flatten out.

Ric - I try to make every race a learning experience.  Writing a long race report is one of the things that really helps me to learn the lessons of each race.

Hog - Yeah, I'm not sure why I was a bit slower at Mile 7 other than the fact that last year I was really struggling through the whole race and may have been pushing at that point and this year I was running well and tried to relax.

Redrum - The weather can make for a tough race, that is for sure.

Granite - Thanks.

LRB - I never noticed the damn chafing until I was finished.  I felt some kind of irritation where my running shorts liner touches my left sack about an hour after I was done.  My initial thought was that a piece of elastic was hanging loose or something like that but it turned out to be plain ol' chafing.  Quite unpleasant in the shower I might add.

Tom - Thanks.  I try to learn from other folks race reports as well.

Jay - I'm really pleased with how I finished this race.  My fastest mile was the last and that's not easy to do in a long race.

My race recovery yesterday consisted of walking around the Columbus Zoo all day.  Usually, I can walk around all day and not get even the slightest bit tired.  This time, I was looking for every opportunity I could find to sit down and rest for a few minutes.

Today, my legs feel better than they have ever felt this soon after a long race.  I noticed how good I felt within an hour of finishing.  I'm not sure why I feel so good.  My best guess is that the heat forced me to run slower than I otherwise could have and while I did run an all out aerobic effort the slower pace wasn't as hard on my muscles and joints.  I remember having a bad half marathon once and my pace was about 15 seconds slower per mile than I had hoped.  Usually, it takes me two weeks to recover from a half marathon but I felt fine a few days after that one.  I feel the same way now except that in this case, I do think I ran a good race.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

MothAudio

It's funny, you turn the corner and see the hill [and can't see the top of it] and then you hang a left into the neighborhood and it only gets worse! I do miss that.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

George - I do think the idea of holding back a bit was why I didn't crash like last year.  You can see the huge fade I had last year in the final miles and I didn't replicate that disaster this year.  Should I have held back even more?  I don't know.  Maybe next year I really will try to run the first couple of miles around a 7:00 pace just to see if I'm able to make up for that time in the flat 7 mile stretch to the finish.

Brad, I don't know that you need to deliberately hang back that much. I think you may have found the right formula this year looking at your splits and how the race developed.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

Thank goodness you did not have 11.2 miles to go!  I cut the liner out of my running shorts and wear my own undergarments, which sucks but I personally cannot run in briefs.

Zelanie

Wow, you were 50 seconds faster on mile 14 compared to last year, and still had your fastest mile of the race coming up!  Sounds like you have a good fall racing season ahead of you!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Wow...certainly sounds like a tough race.  Your comment about letting them go on the uphills and passing them on the downs made me laugh.  It's the completely opposite of my own strengths.  I love how different we all are out there.  Great job not giving in when it got hard at the end.  I'm always surprised how much you seem to be able to get out of doing fartleks at the end when you're feeling spent, but it works for you.  Great improvement over a year, and congratulations on the military award.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

B-Plus

Hey, those pics that Moth put up ... I can't remember if I am remembering those pics or ones that you have put up before. But once again I'm amazed that you guys are racing this right on the highway so close to traffic.

Better keep recovering and get at that drinking problem Big grin

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I just needed to quote this in case it ever goes missing.  ROTFLMAO!!! Big grin

LRB - I never noticed the damn chafing until I was finished.  I felt some kind of irritation where my running shorts liner touches my left sack about an hour after I was done.  My initial thought was that a piece of elastic was hanging loose or something like that but it turned out to be plain ol' chafing.  Quite unpleasant in the shower I might add.

I may be old school or maybe it's new school but I can only run in briefs.  And the snugger the better.  I have found that no matter how small I by  costco's briefs they just don't provide the support that Fruit of the Loom does.  So I just figure I go through underwear like socks. (Have lots of both & toss at first sign of death)

Randy

MothAudio

Hey, those pics that Moth put up ... I can't remember if I am remembering those pics or ones that you have put up before. But once again I'm amazed that you guys are racing this right on the highway so close to traffic.

Better keep recovering and get at that drinking problem Big grin

Fortunately, the police have the cars traveling at a reduced rate of speed. Going up that hill the cars on your right are the last thing on your mind. More like when and where the hell does this hill end?!

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Ms Chenandler Bong

Terrific race, Brad!  The heat was a complete bitch this weekend.  But you ran very strong and even more importantly, very smart.  I'll be interested in reading your marathon RR in a few months!

Congrats on the AG awards too!!

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

Congrats! That was a great race for those tough conditions.

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~