Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #36 (Read 30 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The new floors match the piano pretty well.

Damaris

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

They’ve certainly had their share of great players & teams over the years, but it’s been a while! I was there way back in the incomparable “Flying Illini” years...ah, memories...like of losing to UM in the Final Four. 

That should have been the championship game.  Nearly every player on the floor went on to the NBA. The Illini beat M twice in the regular season but M got the breaks, and the put back at the buzzer, in the Final Four.  33 lead changes during the game. That was a magical run for Michigan with Steve Fisher the interim coach.  I have that recorded on tape somewhere; need to have it transferred to DVD.

I'll be rooting for the Illini Friday and any other game where they're not playing Michigan.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

My Lions are coming for you

Big win for the Nittany Lions last night over the Spartans in East Lansing.  Maybe an Illinois Penn State showdown at some point...

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

The new floors match the piano pretty well.

looks really nice!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Cool! Did not realize this was coming up. I haven’t actually followed college hoops closely in a number of years, and the Illinois program has been in the toilet for a while. But their performance this year has certainly piqued my interest. It’d be more fun if in the end if comes down to a battle with MSU, because tradition. (Maryland in the Big Ten? Still does not compute.) They’ve certainly had their share of great players & teams over the years, but it’s been a while! I was there way back in the incomparable “Flying Illini” years...ah, memories...like of losing to UM in the Final Four. 

Let's hope they don't have another massive collapse like they did two months ago blowing a 14 point half time lead to lose to Maryland 59-58.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

You and me both!! I'd think it was climbing-related except it started bugging me on Saturday, and I hadn't been climbing since Wednesday. This is the same arm that has a years-old RSI in the wrist that just never really got better, so it might be related, but I have no clue.

I had LEFT elbow and hand injury problem and it wouldn’t  go away, doc injection, pt, it wouldn’t go away.... long story, I figured it that driving with left hand (and rest left elbow on car door) was keeping it irritated... road vibration!  Really awkward driving with right hand

DavePNW

That should have been the championship game.  Nearly every player on the floor went on to the NBA. The Illini beat M twice in the regular season but M got the breaks, and the put back at the buzzer, in the Final Four.  33 lead changes during the game. That was a magical run for Michigan with Steve Fisher the interim coach.  I have that recorded on tape somewhere; need to have it transferred to DVD.

I'll be rooting for the Illini Friday and any other game where they're not playing Michigan.

Oh yes I remember that game vividly, and also had it on VHS (although likely long gone by now). That putback IIRC was Loy Vaught, on a rebound Nick Anderson should have had, with the clinching free throws sunk by Rumeal Robinson. Not that I’m bitter. We did finally get our championship game some years later, but that time had no chance vs the juggernaut Tarheels.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

I had LEFT elbow and hand injury problem and it wouldn’t  go away, doc injection, pt, it would go away.... long story, I figured it that driving with left hand (and rest left elbow on car door) was keeping it irritated... road vibration!  Really awkward driving with right hand

Huh! Never heard that one before.

Changing how you drive is HARD. Before I got my own car, I would use my parents', and I was accustomed to a steering wheel like this, and I'd hook my thumbs through the hole on the bottom.

The steering wheel in my car looks like this. It took FOREVER for me to get used to it, and it still annoys me.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Huh! Never heard that one before.

Changing how you drive is HARD. Before I got my own car, I would use my parents', and I was accustomed to a steering wheel like this, and I'd hook my thumbs through the hole on the bottom.

The steering wheel in my car looks like this. It took FOREVER for me to get used to it, and it still annoys me.

Long time I go I damaged the ligaments in the right wrist... back then I drove a stick, it was really hard not resting the right hand on the stick while driving 😛

RunningOnSand

I hear you guys on the steering wheel woes. I like what I like, haha.

Wolvmar, nice effort today. I'm going more towards effort based and not pace based (in my head, at least, since i Haven't been running much lately, haha).

Whiskers, maybe same with you? In any case that looks like a good workout! Plus, running fast is hard. My "strength" is definitely more endurance based, not speed.

Docket, nice floors (and piano!)!

The only elbow pain I've had is what I think is called "Tennis elbow" aka some sort of tendinopathy due to weight training (when I used to lift heavier, and more frequently).

I did a 30 min body weight strength activity this morning, followed by core work. And, I also saw my wonderful PT today. She did an assessment and also dry needling (omg ow). Onemile, my one calf is already super sore. Tomorrow should be fun. But, holy cow, I already feel SO much better. My homework for the next week is to do ankle mobility work (it is woefully incompetent on my right side), calf strengthening activities, toe yoga, and stretching/rolling. I'm actually really hopeful that this won't take forever. Plus she likes some stress to the tendon, so running is okay as long as it's not painful (tightness and discomfort are okay to run through). Me right now:

LRB

onemile

And, I also saw my wonderful PT today. She did an assessment and also dry needling (omg ow). Onemile, my one calf is already super sore. Tomorrow should be fun. But, holy cow, I already feel SO much better. My homework for the next week is to do ankle mobility work (it is woefully incompetent on my right side), calf strengthening activities, toe yoga, and stretching/rolling.

I actually thought mine felt WORSE after having it done because prior to having it done I was walking pain free and after holy crap my calf was hurting just walking a limping shuffle.  But then when I ran (after another day off) it was completely pain free and has been since.

Hope yours works as well!

what happened to FS's dry needle appointment?

sdWhiskers

Wolvmar, nice effort today. I'm going more towards effort based and not pace based (in my head, at least, since i Haven't been running much lately, haha).

Whiskers, maybe same with you? In any case that looks like a good workout! Plus, running fast is hard. My "strength" is definitely more endurance based, not speed.

I like effort based generally. However, I've found that when running in the dark (like headlamp dark), I have a hard time gauging effort. Especially since most of my chosen routes are alongside 4-6 lanes of traffic. Add in the noise, wind and thousands of car headlights, and my brain just says wtf with effort sometimes .

Hope the needling torture fixes your troubles!

onemile

I like effort based generally. However, I've found that when running in the dark (like headlamp dark), I have a hard time gauging effort. Especially since most of my chosen routes are alongside 4-6 lanes of traffic. Add in the noise, wind and thousands of car headlights, and my brain just says wtf with effort sometimes .

It is more effort to hit the same paces in the dark for sure. I am always slower.  I don't think the track / vs flat road vs paved flat path matters much to me but trying to run fast in the dark -ugh.  Esp when there may be ice, you have a headlamp but it's very dark out and you are trying not to trip or slip and fall bc you can't see your footing very well

I was super happy to run after work yesterday without a headlamp - just about an hour of daylight now.

DavePNW

6 miles, in the rain. I know, alert the media, right?

Dave