Beginners and Beyond

Taking gels while running... (Read 82 times)

LRB

Gah! 

Mmmmm...beer

It takes some practice.  The type/brand of gel matters too.  I started off with Gu, but it took too much water to wash them down, so I switched to PowerAde gels, which are more liquidy (yes, it's a word...well, it is now) and take less water to wash down.  Next up I'm going to try Island Boost, which isn't even a gel at all, it's coconut water based and you don't need to wash it down with water, you just drink it.  Several ultra guys in my club swear by it.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

coconut water makes me want to puke, does that count?

Damaris

Mmmmm...beer

coconut water makes me want to puke, does that count?

They're flavored of course, and supposedly taste good and go down easy.  It's the ease and not needing to wash them down that I'm looking for.  I don't like to drink a lot of water when racing, so it'll be nice to have something that I don't need several cups of water to wash down. Smile

http://islandboost.com/what-is-island-boost/

-Dave

My running blog

delicate flower

Gah! 

I agree but I use them anyway.  The only time I carry them on training runs is on runs of 13 miles or more.  I figure the HM distance calls for a gel.

Two gels for an actual HM (one minutes before the race, one around mile 6).

A gel every 40 minutes during a marathon.

PR of GTFO.

<3

I rarely use them but never had an issue when I did - what is the problem?

Only used them in a handful of my longest training runs and in my marathons. Have not used them in HM's.

I just started trying them in my last couple LR's even though they were only 14-16 miles. I think will continue during this training cycle, especially because all my runs are first thing in the AM with nothing in my belly. And because it is probably more needed in the summer than it was last winter, when I did 18-20 milers with no fuel or water. Taking one every ~5 miles, which is 40-45 min, and probably will do that for my marathon.

Dave

RSX

I agree on gu but it is better than power bars. Those are awful

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

They're flavored of course, and supposedly taste good and go down easy.  It's the ease and not needing to wash them down that I'm looking for.  I don't like to drink a lot of water when racing, so it'll be nice to have something that I don't need several cups of water to wash down. Smile

http://islandboost.com/what-is-island-boost/

But at 55 calories and only 17mg of sodium, what's the point?  You would have to take two to equal the calories of a gel and you're still not replacing enough sodium.

Running is dumb.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I love the gu chocolate rage the most, but I like the mandarine, strawberry lime, raspberry kiwi (I think that is it). I also use hammer nutrition gels, I might start putting them in the fridge or freezer the night before my LR.... if I put them in the freezer it would only be like an hour or two before my run.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

catwhoorg

Labrat

Shot Blocks >> Gels

At least for me.

The texture of gels just make me want to puke.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

B-Plus

You should have made this a poll.

I take gels once during a marathon training cycle - on one long MP run. Oh, I also take them during the race!

I love the gu chocolate rage the most

I just had Gu chocolate outrage for the first time; I love chocolate but I thought it was way too much. It was like eating frosting.

Dave

Mmmmm...beer

But at 55 calories and only 17mg of sodium, what's the point?  You would have to take two to equal the calories of a gel and you're still not replacing enough sodium.

70cal and 50mg of sodium for the other flavors, but I see your point.  I'm pretty sure the folks using these are probably also doing some sort of tablets in their water for electrolytes and doing the island boost more for the sugar/carbs.  I'd rather drink more of these during a marathon and not have to drink extra water, but that's just me.

-Dave

My running blog

Love the Half

Gah! 

And that is precisely why I don't swallow that nasty shit.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Which is why I want to try it cold....but I do like icing, just don't eat it.

I just had Gu chocolate outrage for the first time; I love chocolate but I thought it was way too much. It was like eating frosting.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)