Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins have inquiring minds... (Read 40 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

hog4life

Puppy wanted to play this morning and is really starting to bounce around full of energy, yea! 4.11 last night, knee was good, I think. It's a little achy going up stairs at work today. Hi everyone that checks in later.

Jimmy, 100 miles in a month is a big milestone. Hope you get there.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Mitch and AWood and sleepy Pengs.    Hope everyone is safe from the storms last night and today in the East.  We were spared in Chicago.  Can't say the same for the Bruins.  I only made it through 2 OT's.

Running with DW after work.  LR if we feel up to it.

Have a great Friday Eve !!!

Philliefan33

Good morning!

Awood -- thanks for getting us started; you are probably out on your morning run by now.

Mitch -- things are looking up for you and your pup -- glad to hear it

Jerry -- enjoy your run with DW

AFM -- RD today, strategically planned to fall on the same day as the big storm that is headed this way.  The media is sure playing it up...but so far it isn't even raining here.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Work, then on vacation until Monday.  Glad for it.

Damaris

Zelanie

Morning, penguins!  School is out, I just have a little bit of cleaning to do in my classroom, and- I have meetings?  Sigh.  Hopefully they are short enough that I can begin my "extended weekend" today.  I'm planning to run 2-3 on the TM if the knee allows.

Mitch- So glad that the pup is feeling better!  Good to hear that the knee is improving too.  Mine seems to hurt most going down stairs, not up.

Jerry- Have a good run!

Margo- Enjoy the RD, and hope the weather stays relatively calm for you.

D- Enjoy the vacation, and good luck this weekend!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Went to another YMCA this morning and did an exploratory run in the area around it.   This Y opens at 5  a.m. - very convenient on a workday - and is right next to O.P. Schnabel Park, a very popular San Antonio park with both paved and off-road trails.  My run/walk this morning was 3.5 miles and quite "adventurous."  I ran/walked in the neighborhood adjacent to the park, got myself a little lost, met two huge and beautiful Great Danes that I gave treats to, ran around a bend in one of the paved park trails and smacked into a tree branch that must have gotten knocked down onto the trail when we had a really big storm last night that included wind gusting up to 40 mph; another part of the trail was completely covered in gravel and rocks, washed up from the nearby flooding creek so I ended up having to walk over that, very unstable pile of rocks; and just before I got back to the Y, I went around another bend, hit some mud on the paved trail and slipped right off the trail into the brush, falling right on my kiester, startling a young deer in there that jumped right over me and took off in the other direction than I was going.  Picked myself up, brushed myself off, and finished my last 1/4 mile.  As I went back inside the Y to stretch and then shower, the front desk lady said "How was your run?"  Welllll.....   Joking

Mitch, glad to hear your pup is getting back to normal again!  Glad your knee is behaving..somewhat.  Ice that knee  off-and-on throughout the day.

We got crazy storms last night, Jerry.  Roads flooding again, traffic lights going out, it was a big mess.  Glad I was already home and off the roads when the storm hit.  I saw some results of the storm this morning on my run, branches down lots of places, 'mud slicks" on roads and paths, and so forth.   Another storm predicted for tonite, so glad I ran this morning.

Enjoy the rest day, Margo.  Stay safe.

So today is your THRIDAY, Damaris!  Enjoy your vacation!

Yay for school being out, Zelanie!   Hope your knee behaves.  Should you even be running on it until you see the PT?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Scotty- Don't worry, I saw the PT yesterday.  I can run, just soft surfaces, no hills, and shorter distances.  He did a graston-type thing yesterday, plus I did some tennis-ball rolling, so I'm hoping that I am good to go.  Sounds like you did have quite the adventure this morning!   Glad there weren't any major mishaps considering all of the roadblocks around.

Bin Running

URD. DS was having slight fever so can't run in the AM. Had some mess at work and knocked off late. So, there goes my night slot too.

Mel, is it a long holiday for you now?

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Bin- I will be "officially" off until late August.  But I sign up for too much stuff.  So I have two days of meetings next week, for example.  Plus I've picked up an extra Weight Watchers shift, so I will be doing 2 WW meetings a week through the summer.  But I guess that will keep me in running shoes, right?

Hope that DS feels better!

Amazonian Princess

G'morning!

I've been in such an awful mood for the past week that I didn't trust myself to post. I was feeling pretty good after the 5k (even with the abysmal time) and last Thursday a co-worker said that she wanted to move from the after-work walking group to the running group because I "inspired" her. We had a small group, only four people, so I offered to run:walk with her (C25k style) but she gave me a look of such incredulous horror you might have thought I asked her to eat poo! She sprinted to the front but couldn't hold her pace and thus began the most annoying reenactment of tortoise versus hare. The other two runners, a married couple, got way ahead since they have a much faster pace and I just kept moving steadily, more slowly, while she would sprint, gasp for air, walk until I caught up, then sprint again. She made it about a mile then flopped on a bench. I was so irritated that I finished my loop before going back for her.

I know it shouldn't matter, but afterwards she told me that she automatically thought that since I'm bigger that she would faster. I told her that skinny doesn't equal fit, and fat doesn't equal jolly then walked away.

Tonight is the after-work running group and I'll offer again to run:walk with her but I'll be prepared for her comments Smile

I can. I will. I am. 

One Half So Far

Mornin, amigos.  Enjoying my little break from work.

Ran the first two miles of my next 10K last night with a friend from work. First mile is 500 ft of elevation gain, with 150 in the last .2 miles.  Good to get out and see how that's going to be...had to get up on my toes to do it.  Second mile is entirely downhill; not as steep, so I just cruised down.  Should be a fun race.

Also, it's pouring here today.  Got to love Oregon.  It'll be beautiful an hour from now.

Mitch: Just keep babying that knee Smile

Jerry: Have a good run with the missus.

Margo: Stay safe from the storm.

Damaris: Enjoy the break.  Aren't you doing SF soon?

Zel: I have a poster for you.

Scotty: I've never met anyone who has more interaction with critters when running....

Bin: Hope DS feels better soon.

Might get in 3 later if it stops raining....LR with the group on Saturday of 8 at HM pace...looking forward to it.

Have a good day, all

~Jeff~

PR: 5K 26:34 (Would have been faster if I hadn't had to tie my shoe), 5M: 43:10, 10K: 54:51. First HM 4/14/13 2:03:23

6/1: Moonlight 5M, Springfield 43:10

7/4 Butte to Butte 10K, Eugene

7/21 Run in the Country HM, Coburg

Another HM sometime in October or November.  Several to choose from.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

If soon means Sunday, yes, that's the one!

Damaris

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

3.5 miles today. Next run will be my 10M race Saturday eeek

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

From the Internet.

Hi pens! 3.55 miles total this morning, 2.7 running and the rest walking. I talked with my coach before hitting the track and he suggested that I try increasing the volume of my workouts by adding another 10 minutes while keeping the walk breaks for now, so I did 3 minutes walk/7 jog x3, followed by 4 walk/6 jog (felt like I could have done another 3 walk/7 jog but wanted to play it a little bit safe and see how the legs hold up with the extra set).