Beginners and Beyond

FriDailies (Read 18 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

4¾ easy miles for me this morning.  Rain coming later.  We need rain, but I'm selfishly hoping it will ease off in time for the ParkRun tomorrow, though at 67º running in the rain isn't a hardship.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

Half Crazy K 2.0

7 with 6x almost 400 + 2 x200.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! 4 after work. Was hoping we would leave an hour early being a holiday weekend but noooooo.

Damaris

DavePNW

5 miles, very easy. Average number of other runners I see on my weekday AM runs is 1. The one I saw today was wearing the exact same shirt as me, race shirt from a 10k last summer. That race has been held annually for quite some time, and includes a drawbridge; last year oops it opened right in the middle of the race. Those of us who were fast enough got through ahead of it; I did and found out he did too. Those who were not, were pretty pissed off.

Another HM pacing gig tomorrow. Gonna be an early start. I have Monday off work! DW does not.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

DavePNW,  same hete with the holiday.  DH's company only recently started observing MLK day, so probably be a while for them to add this one.

Baboon

delicate flower

2500 yard swim done and I've got an easy jog to do later.

Re: Juneteenth, it's weird that I don't get that off yet.  I work for a pretty socially forward company that is big on diversity and inclusion and I thought for sure they'd make it a company holiday as soon as the Fed did, especially since we get every other holiday off.  DW works for a conservative accounting firm and they get the day off but not MLK Day.  Go figure.

<3

sdWhiskers

RD

Frantically looked at calendar to see what holiday I forgot about. Oh, just Father's day. No wait, June 19. We don't have it off but my company gives us 3 extra "free choice" holiday days to take off each year now, to be used for whatever.

sdWhiskers

5 miles, very easy. Average number of other runners I see on my weekday AM runs is 1. The one I saw today was wearing the exact same shirt as me, race shirt from a 10k last summer. That race has been held annually for quite some time, and includes a drawbridge; last year oops it opened right in the middle of the race. Those of us who were fast enough got through ahead of it; I did and found out he did too. Those who were not, were pretty pissed off.

That's like the Carlsbad 5000 here. "Fastest 5K' but it crosses train tracks twice. There are like 8 heats and seems like every year, people in at least one heat get stopped by a train. One year recently it was the Elite men with prize money at stake! The second crossing is right before Mile 3. My friend was in a heat this year that was stopped, the under 40 Women's heat, with the runners at the 20-22 min finishing time affected. She said once they could continue, it was like the X games out there as everyone sprinted the final 0.1, lol

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Back in September of 2016, a marathon known for being a fast/BQ race was interrupted by a slow freight train, costing some runners up to 10 minutes.  Here's a Strava flyby that shows the racers backing up and one actually crossing the moving train.

https://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#708663283?c=dr4qgpgf&z=G&t=1NrKUV&a=81c9KkLkQCoPAzsqx747KoiyOyq9Hjwqo9JPKnSiPCoL7j4qzeRWKnbHQCoi_z0qifw6Ki2fPyrJkD0q8Ms9KtWhRCo2xUUqV1U8KoxVQSpePDwqNjQ7Kud7QCr2gT4q9BlSKtC5PSo&s=5M

Apparently, more than one runner risked life and limb to climb onto and across the moving freight cars in their desperation to BQ.  The race directors and the railroad, of course, blamed each other.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

sdWhiskers

Work took a surprising turn for the worse this week. Japan Boss, that my group now reports into, had a few 1:1 with some of my colleagues here that involved toddler behavior: screaming, yelling, insults and nonsense bullying. So that's just great. What an asshole. I reached out to The Big Boss who is several levels higher than Japan Boss, that I know quite well and for many years now (he's in SD) and will see what I can do about this freaking disaster.

sdWhiskers

Apparently, more than one runner risked life and limb to climb onto and across the moving freight cars in their desperation to BQ.  The race directors and the railroad, of course, blamed each other.

For the Carlsbad 5k, when signing up, you acknowledge that the train issue can happen. And that if you cross tracks at the wrong time, you will be arrested. They have SWAT looking guys at the train crossings during the race 

Half Crazy K 2.0

Hmmm, there is a new HM and full in Ocean City MD this fall. out and back course, which means you cross a drawbridge 2x.

sdWhisker, that's not a good turn of events. Hopefully the big boss can help.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

OK, we leave early, yay.

My husband has it off. His prior office didn't give it.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

For the Carlsbad 5k, when signing up, you acknowledge that the train issue can happen. And that if you cross tracks at the wrong time, you will be arrested. They have SWAT looking guys at the train crossings during the race 

I ran a HM in Ft. Lauderdale where we got hit with the train for 5 minutes. I was happy because I was having a hot and horrid race, lol.

Damaris