Beginners and Beyond

Pfitz 18/55 (Read 158 times)

B-Plus

Dumb question - is this plan available anywhere publicly, or do you just have to buy the book?

I just ran a 1:48 HM, plan to see if I can go sub-4 in a couple months based on my own personally designed haphazard excuse for a training plan. But after that, thinking about getting into a more formal plan for a fall marathon, and this seems like the one people gravitate toward.

I'm sure the plan is out there, but I recommend reading the book to learn the why's behind each type of workout.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

DaveP: http://paynenet.com/Marathon/calendar/2008-ChicagoTrainingPlan%20-%20Pfitz.pdf

see if that works. I think that was tweaked for that particular race, but you get the idea.

lily: a stroke!? Wow... I am glad you are ok. I never knew that about you.  Thanks for the encouragement. Smile

YAYpril - B-Plus

Dumb question - is this plan available anywhere publicly, or do you just have to buy the book?

I just ran a 1:48 HM, plan to see if I can go sub-4 in a couple months based on my own personally designed haphazard excuse for a training plan. But after that, thinking about getting into a more formal plan for a fall marathon, and this seems like the one people gravitate toward.

The book is good to read, but there might be certain people here who have a scanned copy of the plan itself to share if you want to peek. Cool Just let me know.

Mostly harmless

The book is good to read, but there might be certain people here who have a scanned copy of the plan itself to share if you want to peek. Cool Just let me know.

...and their might be other people who have it all entered into a spreadsheet where you just enter in the date of your race and your entire workout calendar gets created for you.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

YAYpril - B-Plus

...and their might be other people who have it all entered into a spreadsheet where you just enter in the date of your race and your entire workout calendar gets created for you.

Touche'. Smile I never got far enough in planning to type it out. I do, however, have the Glover "Competitor's and Advanced Competitor's" marathon plan all typed up nicely in a spreadsheet, ready for me to start checking off boxes starting May 13.

i would like to know those people and hope to get a copy of this if it was available.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

DavePNW

Thanks all! The dates on the link Klompus sent are actually perfect - starts immediately after my planned June marathon, ends right at my target fall marathon. Of course I would not expect to be able to jump right into it after a marathon. In any case, I agree it sounds like it would be a good idea to read the book first, and I just checked & found there is a Kindle version. Smile

Dave

Mostly harmless

Thanks all! The dates on the link Klompus sent are actually perfect - starts immediately after my planned June marathon, ends right at my target fall marathon. Of course I would not expect to be able to jump right into it after a marathon. In any case, I agree it sounds like it would be a good idea to read the book first, and I just checked & found there is a Kindle version. Smile

I have the Kindle version.  Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I think I would read it more if I had a paper copy.  YMMV.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Klompus,

I did my first marathon with Pfitz 18/55 and was extremely happy with it.  I had very little running history when I started training, but tried to get my base up to the low 30's before the first week.  It's challenging for sure.  My goal was not sub-4 on week 1, but I had used McMillen to figure out training paces for 4:00 and 4:15 to help self assess as I went.  The plan prepared me for sub-4.  I am now working toward #2 with Pfitz 12/55.  - Happy running

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jack - You should come to Indianapolis in November for the Monumental Marathon.  It's a flat course, and maybe by then I'll be able to keep with you.  Maybe not, but either way I'd see you at the finish line.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Love the Half

Just having a workout plan without knowing why you are doing something is a bad idea and here's why.

One of the more senseless things that runners do is take a canned plan and follow it to the letter.  At the risk of restating the glaringly obvious, Pete Pfitzinger did not write that plan focused on your strengths and weaknesses.  He wrote it as an average plan for the average runner.  As your training develops, you may find it easier to hit some workouts and more difficult to hit others.  If you are struggling with development of some characteristic, you may need to modify the plan in order to place additional emphasis on that characteristic.  Unless you know the purpose behind each workout, it is difficult to modify the plan based on your individual response to training.

Beyond that, life gets in the way of any plan.  When you miss a workout, what do you do?  You can't run hard workouts two days in a row so which workout do you skip?  Again, without knowing your own strengths and weaknesses based on an analysis of your workouts and your races, that's an impossible question to answer.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Mmmmm...beer

I have the Kindle version.  Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I think I would read it more if I had a paper copy.  YMMV.

I bought the paper version for that reason, sometimes I just prefer to have the book in my hand.  But if someone had a spread sheet of the 18/70 plan, that would be a lot easier than entering all of the workouts into the calendar on here by hand, like I'm getting ready to do. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Bin Running

Jack, I followed a modified 18/55 (came up to 13/45 eventually) for my 31Mar HM.  Some of the quality workouts are tough for me and I was pretty tired by week 4-5.. Your base should be much stronger than mine..

If you decided to go for Pftiz, we can compare notes as I am likely to wanna run the FM on 01 Dec..  I have already came up with a 16/58 plan but was a little undecided.. Maybe I would do a no-plan for this FM as my goal is just to finish, preferably below 4:30..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

LRB

Just having a workout plan without knowing why you are doing something is a bad idea and here's why.

Same thing with Daniels, each run has a purpose.

I.e., if you are struggling to hit your tempo pace in a set of 7 X 5:00 repeats, you will know from reading the book that it is more important to complete each set at a slightly slower than target pace, than it is to hit the target pace for less than 5:00.

There are examples abound like this and they usually come into play while you are out on a training run and need to deviate from a planned pace, time, or distance due to external factors such as traffic, snow, ice, heat, wind or from just having a bad day.

If you are going to use Pfitz, read and understand Pfitz.  That is not to say you cannot read his plan from an external source, but you are probably doing yourself a disservice by not truly grasping the concepts and nuances of his (or anyone's) plan.  This can only be gleaned by reading the entire manual and referring to it often, as many of us that follow plans or teachings do.

paulski66

miscreant

Personally, I usually advise against the Pfitz for a first marathon. It's a very intense, unrelenting training plan.

But, to each his own...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...