Beginners and Beyond

Pfitz 18/55 (Read 158 times)

happylily

Personally, I usually advise against the Pfitz for a first marathon. It's a very intense, unrelenting training plan.

But, to each his own...

Few people do it exactly as it is required. They always end up modifying it slightly anyway. Especially the first time. I've only felt really comfortable with it the 4th or 5th time I used it.

EDIT: I guess that's why it's called "Advanced"

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Mmmmm...beer

Personally, I usually advise against the Pfitz for a first marathon. It's a very intense, unrelenting training plan.

But, to each his own...

I think it depends on where a person is when they start the plan, not all first time marathoners are the same.

Edit: But lily has a point, it is called 'advanced" for a reason.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

YAYpril - B-Plus

But, to each his own...

I thought about using Pfitz for my first but I decided that it was too intense for me and it scared me away. I decided on a Glover plan instead. Same MPW peak (55) but there's less quality.

BruceD555

Lots of good advice has already been given but I'll throw in my perspective after just now completing his 18/70 for the first time.

1. Buy the book (paper version) over the Kindle. I actually started with the Kindle and then ordered the book as well because the charts and figures are just better in the printed copy.
          2. Read, then re-read, then read again the descriptions of the workouts and their purpose. Pfitz does a great job of breaking down WHY you do each workout and then WHY he periodizes them into the different mesocycles. You don't have to fully understand it all, but recognizing that it is purposefully constructed makes a huge difference.
          3. Run your recovery paced runs at recovery pace ... even if your legs feel like going. 
          4. I loved the speed-work (intervals and tempo runs) in the plan. Though they're tough workouts they leave you feeling amazingly strong and fast. Also, begin those workouts at the slower end of your pace range and finish stronger on the last one. Generally, when I finished mine, I was thankful that there wasn't one more interval or one more tempo-pace mile left. (though I surely would have done them to satisfy my OCD)
          5. Run your recovery paced runs slower ... yes, it's that important that I'm repeating myself.
          6. I actually found the toughest part of the plan was the mid-week MLR, but purely from a time perspective. It can be difficult to make the time to run that one with work & family.
          7. I was most scared of the LR with a portion @ marathon pace. However, I never had a problem in hitting my paces on those runs and they turned out to be real confidence boosters.
          8. Like Lily said, most folks modify Pfitz's plans and that was true with me. I actually added a very easy recovery--ish paced run on Monday (Pfitz's rest/cross day) What I found was that it rejuvenated my legs after Sunday's long run and really got me ready for the week's workouts. The key to Pfitz is really seeing the quality workouts each week and then making sure your body is prepared to actually do quality work on that day.
          9. Don't neglect proper nutrition, post-run stretching/rolling and core/strength work during the plan. Following one of Pfitz's training plans can leave you tired and not feeling like taking even more time to workout/stretch. In the long run, it's worth the few extra minutes of time.

Well, that got longer than I intended ... but I am on taper so cut a guy some slack. Wink

Train smart ... race smarter.

happylily

Bruce has right. See, you're not so taper crazy. Yet. Big grin

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Bruce, good advice, getting ready to start the 18/70 soon.  Good luck at your race!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

BruceD555

Bruce has right. See, you're not so taper crazy. Yet. Big grin

Am too crazy! You just can't see it through my typing ...

Seriously, this one is tough mentally. I woke up at 2 AM this morning and was thinking about how should I best pin my bib on a my new singlet.

happylily

I wrote "Bruce has right". I need more coffee. Or I have tapering leftover. One of the two. Big grin

You'll be fine, Bruce. Being nervous before a race is the sign you're a good racer.

LRB

You'll be fine, Bruce. Being nervous before a race is the sign you're a good racer.

Or it is a personality trait, which is fine as well.

Just B.S.

Or it is a personality trait, which is fine as well.

Definitely the case with me as I only stopped getting nerves last year after 10 years of  racing.

Hubby is a great racer and I have never seem him nervous, like ever.  It's highly annoying.Smile

LRB

Definitely the case with me as I only stopped getting nerves last year after 10 years of  racing.

Hubby is a great racer and I have never seem him nervous, like ever.  It's highly annoying.Smile

I don't get nervous either, it's all business for me.  So I would annoy you as well.  ; )

Just B.S.

I don't get nervous either, it's all business for me.  So I would annoy you as well.  ; )

I can't ever imagine that.Big grin  Plus of course it only annoys me because he is my hubby, cause that's the way

spouses are.

Of course I'm sure my pre-races nerves and multiple potty visits drive him crazy, he is just too nice to say anything.

I hate flying too, every second of it and don't relax for one minute.  He loves it. The flight to Ireland is going to be fun, NOT.

BruceD555

Race day is actually fine for me ... it's all the free time beforehand when I can obsess over the minutia that has absolutely no bearing on the actual race. I mean, come on ... how I attach my bib is hardly reason to wake up at 2.

Just B.S. - I'm with you on the flying ... I don't like crowded spaces all that much and cannot get comfortable to sleep on a plane - even transatlantic flights. My wife, on the other hand can fall asleep within a minute of takeoff and sleep soundly for the entire flight.

Dreamn

Thanks Bruce, good advice, getting ready to start the 18/70 soon.  Good luck at your race!

So, you are going to do Lehigh? Big grin

YAYpril - B-Plus

So, you are going to do Lehigh? Big grin

I hope so. I want an FE! Smile