Beginners and Beyond

Space Coast Marathon RR: A Huge Course PR, a Huge Side Stitch, and a great fun was had! (Long) Pic added on Page 3 and in OP (Read 74 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

How big?

Nice pics and result!  I do not recall seeing the number 100 and the word degrees anywhere in there, what gives?  And why the hell does the half start before the marathon and a half hour at that? That makes zero sense.

Right?  It was 60-74F.  Sunny. No shade.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks, guys!

Dave, never had one before except during a 10K and it was because I was going too fast then but not this time.  Weird.

blue is right.  It's a mess if they do it the other way around.

LRB, I'll get a picture of the challenge.  Later.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

LRB, this is the challenge.  We get a 3 year and 5 year special medal:

Damaris

hog4life

Congrats, you really amaze me!

GinnyinPA

Cool medals.  Congratulations on the course PR, especially given the pain you were in.  But then, you are used to running in pain.  Sorry about the side stitch.  I get bad stomach cramps sometimes from Gels/Gu or if I eat too much sugar before running.  Maybe it was the donuts?  I hope you figure it out.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Awesome report and photos!  Congrats on your marathon!  Sorry about the painful side-stitch and congrats on your determination in overcoming it to finish.  You rock!

Maybe the prednisone was a contributing factor to the stitch?  I've been on that stuff before and one of the side effects it gave me was stomach cramps.  Hope you get it figured out before your next event!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Cool medals.  Congratulations on the course PR, especially given the pain you were in.  But then, you are used to running in pain.  Sorry about the side stitch.  I get bad stomach cramps sometimes from Gels/Gu or if I eat too much sugar before running.  Maybe it was the donuts?  I hope you figure it out.

Better NOT be the donuts.  First time I have been able to eat anything before the race and never felt hungry throughout.

Scotty, I asked my husband.  He said there is no documentation of that happening after Prednisone.  But that was my first guess.

Damaris

Way to hang in there at the end and still run a good time, D.  Congrats!

Hope you enjoyed that *cough* winter weather.

Congrats on the course PR!  You and your hubby look amazingly fresh  in the photo after running a marathon and a HM respectively.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

tracilynn

Congrats on a great result!  Happy for you

~~~~~~~

Traci

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Congrats on a CPB (course personal best) and gutting it out with that side stitch. Only once have I had one that wouldn't go away and of course it was during a marathon when I was trying to BQ. After 4 miles of painful jogging and walking I DNFed knowing a BQ time was now out of reach. I ended the day in the ER too, so presumably the DNF was a good choice. Glad you made it through all right since your post-race pic looks great.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats on a CPB (course personal best) and gutting it out with that side stitch. Only once have I had one that wouldn't go away and of course it was during a marathon when I was trying to BQ. After 4 miles of painful jogging and walking I DNFed knowing a BQ time was now out of reach. I ended the day in the ER too, so presumably the DNF was a good choice. Glad you made it through all right since your post-race pic looks great.

Ouch!  Sounds like mine.  Did you ever find what caused it?  And why did you go to the ER?  It wouldn't go away?

Damaris

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Ouch!  Sounds like mine.  Did you ever find what caused it?  And why did you go to the ER?  It wouldn't go away?

I suspect it might have been the sports drink they had at the aid stations. Besides the side stitch it unsettled my stomach and I couldn't keep anything down, hence pretty severe dehydration.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

From the Internet.

Congrats on the course PR!

Side stitches are no fun, I feel your pain and kudos for making it to the end of a fricken' marathon with one - I got them almost every run a couple weeks post-surgery but was able to stretch them out or something because they didn't last more than a couple minutes. I think in my case it was running too fast though, I haven't had one since starting to use the HR monitor and slowing way down.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I suspect it might have been the sports drink they had at the aid stations. Besides the side stitch it unsettled my stomach and I couldn't keep anything down, hence pretty severe dehydration.

Ouch.  Thanks for sharing.

I need to search for that thread which was opened, I think, by OOTB, on side stitches.  I should read the suggestions.

Damaris