Beginners and Beyond

This is a Public Service Announcement! (Read 233 times)

happylily

There was an article in our local paper recently about a guy who had a stroke at 28 years old from the same condition.  He wasn't in great shape but he wasn't in horrible shape either when it happened.  I am very glad to hear you are OK.  Listen to your doctor but don't be afraid to ask questions.  I wish you a speedy recovery.

Brad, that was the article you sent me. That guy's stroke was so bad he had to re-learn how to walk. And he thought he was lucky! Mike and I are the lucky ones, we were given a warning, not the real thing.

And Susan Rachel is right. Surgery (closure of the PFO) is the way to go. Blood-thinners are NOT something you want to be on for the rest of your life.

20% of the people here on this forum still have their PFO (we all have one at birth, it normally closes during infancy). Not hydrating during exercise thickens the blood. Thick blood increases the chance of blood clots. Strenuous exercising increases the chance of a clot passing through the PFO and causing a stroke. Is that something you want to risk? At the very least, hydrate when necessary and talk to your doctor about maybe taking a daily baby aspirin.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and sharing what happened with you.  I'm glad it wasn't more serious, but that sure is scary.  Hopefully, as you mentioned, it will be a blessing and everything moving forward will be good.  Take care!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm just glad that you're okay, and it sounds like you've got a pretty positive attitude about it.  I hope that you and the doctors can make the most of the situation.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

PragmaticRnnr

Fitness Jogger

Wow!  Thanks for sharing and get well soon!

Will run for scenery.

Wow this is an eye opener !  Moth, it sounds like you're dealing pretty well, but still - that's scary stuff !

I'm not too surprised that there are some people out there with an extra hole in their heart.  But 20% ?  That's crazy!

Glad to hear there is an "easy" fix.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Nightvisionrn

Glad you are okay with minimal residual effects. Schedule your PFO closure now!!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Wow, Moth. Blessings to you and I'm glad to hear you're ok.

Little Blue

Holy moley, that's scary.  Thanks for the PSA, and for letting us know.  Heal up quickly.

Baboon

delicate flower

Dang, Moth...thanks for telling us about this.  Glad to hear it wasn't worse.  Just the word "stroke" is scary to hear.  Best of luck with treatment and recovery.  Hang in there, man.

<3

Robert31320

Team TJ

Sure happy to read that you are OK, Mike.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Mmmmm...beer

Very glad that you're ok Mike!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

#artbydmcbride

I was just wondering where you were  (((MothAudio)))  Thanks for the PSA!

Runners run

LRB

It is good to hear you made it through, your fitness no doubt helped in that aspect.

It is truly bizarre how some people are predisposed to high cholesterol, despite their activity level.  For some of us, it does not matter what we do, our numbers are what they are.

For me, it seems the more active I am, the higher my number.  It really is weird.

Is there any correlation to PFO and high cholesterol? My number is not high enough to warrant meds, but I get a long drawn out lecture every time I am seen by a health care professional about becoming more active.

workinprogress11

I'm so sorry you went through that.  It must have been very scary.   I'm glad the cause was found and that you have information to make decisions on what you want to do next.

I wish you the best!

MothAudio

Thanks everyone. It's been a rough day only because I haven't had anything to do but research my condition on the internet which while informative was also confusing and making me antsy. So I headed off to the Y and walked a mile. My HR was low to begin with but due to cardiac drift it naturally began to climb to 80 bmp and I kept looking at the monitor which probably made it go higher! I just came back from GNC to score Omega 3 / fish oil because I don't like what I'm reading about Lipitor. I'll consult with my orthopedic about our next move. I appreciate all the well wishes.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile