Beginners and Beyond

This is a Public Service Announcement! (Read 233 times)

StepbyStep-SH

Glad you were able to get out of the house (and away from Dr. Google) for a bit today. Sounds like the next few days/weeks might be a great time to dig back into another hobby for a bit to fill the hours that have been running. I'm glad it was mostly a scare and that you will likely be back to full force soon.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Yikes, glad that you're OK Mike.

Thanks for sharing about the condition, it's something I'd never heard of before.  20%, egad.

Hope you can get back to normal soon.

LRB

Glad you were able to get out of the house (and away from Dr. Google) for a bit today.

It's ironic that we were just discussing the perils of that yesterday!

Antipodean

Thanks for coming here to let everyone know. We are all thinking of you and cheering on your recovery and journey back to running.

I'm glad I've got an echo scheduled for later this year as I will be able to find out one way or other if I have that condition.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Bin Running

Sorry you have to go thru this.. Hope you have a speedy recovery...

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

SheCan

Wow, Mike, I'm really sorry to hear that you went through this.  Thank you for letting everyone know.  How very scary.   I hope you can figure out how to prevent this from happening again although none of us really know.  Keep taking care of yourself and i hope your back to 100% soon.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

music_girl117

I'm glad you're ok Moth.  Thanks for sharing your story; I had never heard of a PFO before now.  Best wishes!

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

Ric-G

lets me just my well wishes. thanks for the info. and hoping that was the low point. take care.

marathon pr - 3:16

MothAudio

UPDATE: Saturday: 1 mile walking @ 2.5 mph TM P.M. / 1 mile @ 11:30 pace [est.] running P.M. Yeah! Laying around researching my statin only made me depressed and antsy so I did what I normally do, just on a much lower level. Spoke with the manager at the Y about what happened and I thought she was going to have a stroke by the look on her face!

Then at dusk, under the watchful eye of my son, I jogged back-n-forth down our street and he recorded my movement since I was curious if I was favoring one side. He claims I was listing to the left for the 1st 100m but when he began recording me said my form looked normal [meaning with all the usual quirks].

Reviewing the video I appeared like my usual self, though didn't realize how much lower I'm carrying my right arm - making a correction for that, but otherwise looked like my usual self coming and going. I'm guessing my jog pace was around 11:00-11:30. I'll continue to review the side effects of the statin I'm on but the internet can make you crazy with all the various opinions - like running advice - so I'll have to do it interval-style with appropriate breaks.

Game plan for today is to finish up a very minor project in the kitchen and prepare for the Running Times Fantasy Football draft this afternoon. Not sure what, if any, active rest I'll get in today. I appreciate all the well-wishes. Make it a great day!

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Jess runs for bacon

Sheeeeit. Glad you are ok!!

PADRunner

Glad you're OK. That's the one thing that scares me the most is a stroke.

This article got me off Statins.

I stopped taking them in May as a test. I got screened in June and it was a little high. I made some adjustments, added a plant sterol, and my Dr. cleared me to quit in July. I already had poor circulation in my legs that causes muscle pain and then to find out that Statins were defeating the purpose of exercise and causing more muscle problems on top of it pushed me to try to get off them.

I've gone pretty much vegetarian, still eat fish & dairy, but my levels are down to acceptable levels.

A pretty good book Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure.

He goes a little extreme but for some they may need it.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Dang, Mike, still has to be scary even if it wasn't painful or like a full-blown stroke, etc.  Glad they found out what it was!  Take care of yourself!  We want you around for many years to come.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

RSX

Sorry to hear that and glad you're okay

Pinktastic

OMG, Mike!!  That is completely scary!!  I'm so glad that you're already on the road to recovery!!  Prayers and hugs for you and your family!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Luke79

Good luck with your recovery Master Yoda Smile  I wish you well.