Beginners and Beyond

Small or big Cowbells (Read 58 times)

What type of cowbell do you prefer to hear at races?  The small 3" cowbells, or the larger 8-11" cowbells? The small bells make a higher pitched noise, and the larger bells make a deeper noise.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

I prefer NOT to hear cowbells, but the few I've seen around here are probably the 3 in size, which is what I've used in my field work (bear deterrent) - not too heavy but decent noise. Definitely wouldn't want one of the brahma bull sized ones. I saw a smaller size on some dogs the other day, which looked just about right if I were running with one.

There is a reason I run on trails. Wink

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
      wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Like AKTrail I prefer not hearing cowbells at races.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Little Blue

Are you talking about a runner wearing them, or spectators having them?  Runner - NONE.  Spectator - either is fine, they're gone really fast.

Mmmmm...beer

Are you talking about a runner wearing them, or spectators having them?  Runner - NONE.  Spectator - either is fine, they're gone really fast.

I did a Jingle Bell 5k and someone there had jingle bells all over their outfit, probably one of the most annoying things I've experienced during a race, especially since I couldn't get away from him!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

delicate flower

I prefer vuvuzelas.

<3

RSX

I actually like them especially around the last turn as a runner. We have used them at relays especially as you finish a leg. I have volunteered at Wellesley College during Boston a few times, and 1 year they had cow bells. As someone who heard them constantly that day, I think that it added to that atmosphere and it wasn't annoying.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The big cowbells!

Damaris

onemile

I prefer the sound of the small ones.

happylily

Where does the tradition come from? I don't get the cowbell thing... I find the sound, big or small bells, slightly annoying to hear when I'm running tired.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

bluerun

Super B****

The small ones.  The ones that are so small, they don't even exist.  I freaking HATE cowbells!!

(Though, to be fair, I'm so oblivious during races that I usually don't hear them anyway.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Love the Half

If cowbells are on my "things to worry about" list during a race, I am obviously not running hard enough.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

You Rang?

I prefer vuvuzelas.

I agree, because unlike those who ring cowbells, people who blow vuvuzelas eventually get dizzy and stop.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

onemile

If cowbells are on my "things to worry about" list during a race, I am obviously not running hard enough.

If you are running too hard to notice the cowbells in the first half of a marathon, you probably went out too fast.  

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I agree, because unlike those who ring cowbells, people who blow vuvuzelas eventually get dizzy and stop.

But they can make you deaf if you hear them for too long....

Damaris