Beginners and Beyond

Non-Runners Just Don't Understand The Distance (Read 167 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Gosh....... I would be extremely upset if it didn't make my family feel better that running saved my life.....

My family was pretty excited when I started running and doing races, but I guess after 2 years and about 30 races it isn't so exciting for them anymore. My mom was really excited when I won 1st place in my AG back in May's 5k race, I could definitely hear it in her voice but sadly she just doesn't understand that all my training and commitment is how I won that trophy (and the two 2nd place medals and 3rd place trophy, all this year).  But, I don't run for anybody except me....... and to inspire my son Smile

I try not to bring it up, because if I don't, then I can fool myself into thinking they actually give a shit when the truth is that they don't.

I mean, no big deal, I'd just be dead right now if I hadn't started running.  (Hmmm.  Maybe that's the reason...)

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah....... I did get kind of upset when she called my running an addiction, I mean seriously.... would you rather me be sitting on my ass getting fat and being unhealthy? And hell, compared to so many runners here, I don't run that much really. I don't think my mom really has any passions or interests though, in her younger days it was all about weed and partying which I think she would be a lot happier if I had joined that crowd instead.

How acquaintances or not-close friends/family members respond is not really important to me.

Close friends/family members generally respond positively or neutrally, in line with their personalities.  I am clearly a weirdo, but I think that our close peeps rolling their eyes is incredibly unkind and mean.  We all have our own interests and, it appears to me, in a healthy relationship (family, friend, or romantic), we are able to empathize with another's passions and interests.  I mean, if my brother gets tickets to see a rap singer I have never heard perform, I am happy because that makes him happy.  I get out of my own immediate bubble.  I expect the same thing in return.  I don't mean to require hours and hours of minutia discussed, but it's basic human community behavior.  So, yes, if someone actually close to me were to act eye-rolley about running, I would get very angry with that person.  But, again, I am a high-maintenance weirdo.  

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

About dieting in general, my mom told me to be careful to not to lose too much weight.

How does that math work? I haven't been my goal weight of 165 in 20 years. I got up to 225 and am currently 185. How could a reasonable person possibly assume I'm in any danger of losing too much weight?

Hip Redux

I try not to talk about running unless I'm asked because most people don't care.

+1

Most people don't want to hear about it, not because they don't care or whatever, but it's just not interesting to them.  I understand the reaction, because I tune out when people start continuously talking about their kids....

The conversation with my mom usually goes something like this:

Me: "Mom, we're doing this race on such-and-such a day."

Mom: "Don't hurt yourself!"

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I think my mom's biggest issue is because of my cousin's wife - she used to not only run 7 miles everyday, but she did yoga, pilates, aerobic kick-boxing, strength training, swimming, and so many other things she told me - most of those on the same day as running and everyday. She did this from I think her teen years to up into her twenties before she seriously injured herself, and having blood issues and doctors believe her extreme exercising is why she is having problems getting pregnant.  She hopes to one day get back to running, but not like she used to.

My mom always resorts to her during rare arguments between us about running.

PRs

I try to limit the conversation  to three running friends.  Two are out of state who work in the home office of the company which I work for.  They've been very supportive.  Another I met through a LRS near I work.  This friend is always uplifting regarding running and fitness.

Otherwise, I've grown not to mention races nor training unless someone inquires.

Regarding the addiction issue, it's better than watching reality tv shows while sitting on the couch and watching other athletes on ESPN highlights.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Antipodean

My DH started running and racing this year and he's starting to get it. Other people, mostly their eyes glaze over, so it's best to avoid. I actually feel the same way when my DH talks about fishing, so there we go.

On Christmas Day I did have one running conversation with my cousin's wife, but it was more about scheduling in runs when she has 2 young kids, a DH and a job.

i also had a friend who was running, but whaddyaknow, she gave up and last time I asked  could see it just embarrassed her, so I stopped asking. 

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

happylily

1) I would not, and have never done so, "announce" that I will run a marathon to my family and friends. To me, it is like asking for people to clap and cheer for me, and frankly, I see running/racing as simply a healthy hobby and nothing more. No reason to get excited and congratulate me on my decision. If I train/race well and get some good finish times, then maybe it's an accomplishment for me and some of my running friends. But in the eyes of other people, I don't expect it to be an accomplishment. I think if I were to announce that in 2014 I plan on running an ultra, my family would probably think (but they wouldn't say anything) "Yeah? So what... Get over yourself".

2) But if my family brings my running up in a conversation, and they do often, then I will tell them about my most recent race, or my next one. Not in an announcing way, just in a matter of fact way. Like chit chatting. I am lucky that everyone in my family thinks exercising is great and they all see my racing as something good for me and almost like a family activity (I travel a lot with SO or SIL for my races). I tell anecdotes about my races, when I see it's a good moment in a conversation, and my family seems to enjoy the stories. I don't offer details about my training, unless I am asked. When they ask how far I run, or for how long, and they act like they are in awe, I try to bring them down to earth. I don't see what we do as some amazing accomplishment. It is just a fun and wholesome activity which requires some particular abilities. Some we are born with, some we develop as we train. I like what I do, but I don't think it makes me better than those who do not share my interest.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

Yeah....... I did get kind of upset when she called my running an addiction, I mean seriously.... would you rather me be sitting on my ass getting fat and being unhealthy? And hell, compared to so many runners here, I don't run that much really. I don't think my mom really has any passions or interests though, in her younger days it was all about weed and partying which I think she would be a lot happier if I had joined that crowd instead.

When we read how some people here cry and anguish over not being able to run for a week, and how they claim they will go crazy without it, I think that yes, we can call it an addiction in some cases. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

But I get upset if I don't run  and there is much more chance of seeing me on the news involving the death of someone 

But.... but... I'm not addicted 

When we read how some people here cry and anguish over not being able to run for a week, and how they claim they will go crazy without it, I think that yes, we can call it an addiction in some cases. 

PRs

bluerun

Super B****

It absolutely is an addiction... but they should be glad we're addicted to running instead of some other things!!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

RSX

I only bring it up at home. Even then it is short and sweet. The only non-runners who ask about it are worried about awkward pauses.

Love the Half

I'm not quite sure why runners expect others to support their obsession/habit/past time.  I'm a beer geek.  If I want to get someone's eyes rolling and bore the hell out of them, all I have to do is start talking about malt attenuation, mashing temperatures, and highly fermentable vs. low fermentable wort.  99% of people care no more about my running or about my expensive craft beers than I care about their overpriced coffee or gun collection or stamp collection.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

After 18 days on the bench I can absolutely say:

"Hello, my name is Kristin, I am a running addict and it has been 18 days since my last run."

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I don't really want people all excited for me, but an occasional nod or "awesome" or "great" would be better than the eye rolling crap. But I guess the main reason her actions affected me are because after all of her support with my sister's track and cross-country back in school, and her pushing me to get into it - I've always figured she would always be supportive when I got into running, which she was in the beginning but I guess now that I have a son and I've done some races, I shouldn't be running so much if at all........

PRs