Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #8 (Read 36 times)

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

4.6 easy miles on slightly snowy/slippery sidewalks/roads. A bit of a muddle after feeling so (relatively) good yesterday.

Darn work thing got in the way of posting any earlier this morning. Good to be busy but...

Half Crazy K 2.0

I have a totally unexpected and very appreciated day off work today. I work for a school in Baltimore city and although we are not part of Baltimore City Public Schools, we follow them for weather closings (aside from heat). Turns out, there was already a 3 hour early dismissal scheduled for end of quarter, so insteead of having a 2 hours delay & turning around shortly after coming in, they closed. I got in 8 on the treadmill with 10 x 2 minute "hills". The major snow was 2 inches. Laugh away those used to snow.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am not used to snow yet but we got almost 8" last month and only a 3 hour delay which was rare (as I was told). LOL

Damaris

Cyberic

A meetings filled morning (small productive meetings in which I was interacting) went by fast without thinking about the dentist.

Appointment at 4PM, which probably means 5PM because they are NEVER on time, so I figure I'll know in what shape I'm in by 6.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

A meetings filled morning (small productive meetings in which I was interacting) went by fast without thinking about the dentist.

Appointment at 4PM, which probably means 5PM because they are NEVER on time, so I figure I'll know in what shape I'm in by 6.

good luck!

Cyberic

I have a totally unexpected and very appreciated day off work today. I work for a school in Baltimore city and although we are not part of Baltimore City Public Schools, we follow them for weather closings (aside from heat). Turns out, there was already a 3 hour early dismissal scheduled for end of quarter, so insteead of having a 2 hours delay & turning around shortly after coming in, they closed. I got in 8 on the treadmill with 10 x 2 minute "hills". The major snow was 2 inches. Laugh away those used to snow.

It is funny, but when I see on the news the kind of equipment some cities have for snow plowing, I understand how two inches of snow can paralyze circulation.

We also have a law here to have winter tires on from December to April (or is it March?). And the rest of the year, they don't sell summer tires anymore in Canada like when I was young, now all we have are four season tires.

We are also used to drive in snow: my son has just finished his driver's course, and on many of his practical courses on the roads, he was driving on slippery surfaces.

So yes it is funny, but your context is different.

sdWhiskers

6.8 miles. Learned that I shouldn't try to program the workout in at dark o'clock. Meant to do 1 x 1 mi, 2 x 800, 2 x 400 but botched it up by inputting 1 mi then 2 x (800, 400, 400). Oops. Did the workout I wanted but without the second 800.

Also dealing with monthly lady nonsense so didn't feel the best. I am always indecisive about taking ibuprofen before a workout but then end up dragging myself home with cramps if I don't.

Happy Hump day, I guess.

Cyberic

Oh and thanks for the good lucks everyone, not that I'm superstitious and think that wishing me luck or not will change anything of the outcome, but it proves you love me, and a guy can appreciate that.  

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

This will be Cy after his anesthesia later:

Damaris

Cyberic

Swimming: I think I'd enjoy it as a sport. It has technical aspects, endurance...  My problem is that I've never liked water. I don't hate water, but most of the time if you give me the choice to go in or not, I won't. Of course, I don't like just lying on the beach and do nothing either, so there's a dilemma there on beach days. But I disgress. Everytime I think of starting to swim as a sport, the fact that I'll have to actually get in water every time to do it simply puts an end to the project.

sdWhiskers

Swimming: I think I'd enjoy it as a sport. It has technical aspects, endurance...  My problem is that I've never liked water. I don't hate water, but most of the time if you give me the choice to go in or not, I won't. Of course, I don't like just lying on the beach and do nothing either, so there's a dilemma there on beach days. But I disgress. Everytime I think of starting to swim as a sport, the fact that I'll have to actually get in water every time to do it simply puts an end to the project.

I've never shown up to one of MrW's triathlons, looked at the water and wished it was me that was going in there.

onemile

I've never shown up to one of MrW's triathlons, looked at the water and wished it was me that was going in there.

true facts.

Baboon

delicate flower

Yeah, it's a very technical sport.  Form is crucial, and you've got to be able to sight well, and you've got know how to get around other people, and I suck at all that.  I handle all of the contact just fine and getting hit doesn't bother me...probably because I grew up playing football and hockey.

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

The places around here where they hold some tris skeeve me.  These are not bodies of water you look at and wish you could swim in it. More like ones you need a thorough shower if you got sprayed by the water.

DavePNW

Yeah, it's a very technical sport.  Form is crucial

I love the water, being in it and under it. Unfortunately I never learned to properly swim. Whenever I’ve done laps, it’s a breast stroke, it’s the only thing I can keep going. When trying to do a normal freestyle stroke, I usually can’t even make it across one full lap without running out of breath and/or sinking. I realize I need some instruction. Not like running where you can have super shitty form and still run. I am envious whenever I see someone just going back & forth in the pool forever, looking super smooth. Of course it hasn’t been important enough to me to do anything about it.

Dave