Beginners and Beyond

How much of a weight loss would you be willing to accept? (Read 273 times)

Dr. Cornsitter

I am down 30 lbs from this time last year. I would also be excited to lose 15 more, which is part of the plan. Beyond that, I think i would get into scary territory, but it would depend on my other activities. I'd need to ensure I were doing more regular strength training to keep my body strong and healthy.

I think there is a ratio of waist to hip that is now used to determine risk for heart disease and other health issues. So while I'm at the upper end of normal weight range BMI-wise, I'm actually in the lowest risk band when it comes to that ratio (little in the middle but she got much back). I consider a little of this and a little of that when I try to set my personal health goals. There is room for improvement for sure, but I want to maintain overall health moreso than worry about race times. But that's just me.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Using the CDC calculator my current BMI is 22, right in the middle of the normal range. With 40 years between, I'm not sure my peak running weight would still be the same, but if I lost 20 punds to get there it would put my BMI at 19, still normal but at the low end. I'd be happy to lose 10 pounds but I'm not going to make a concerted effort to do so.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

I'm in the same situation as Hilary right now. I'd really like to lose about 10 pounds (I weigh 123 now) but I'm not too concerned with my weight either way because my performance is still good. Am I the only one who gained weight doing more mileage, though? Angry

What I have found, and this is purely unscientific, is that more miles equal a need for more volume of fluid in muscles, which leads to a greater consumption of fluids, and thus the likely hood of a couple few extra LB's on the scale, despite nothing else (eating habits) changing.

Village people

Yep, my last glass was on January 5th.  I have been in a weight loss plunge ever since!

I gave up eggs and dairy, several months ago, I need something Cry

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

i am fat and would like to lose 25-30 pounds.

I am 215 and would like to be 185-190.

My best running weight was 150 but I have added muscle over the last 30 years.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

happylily

I am running more miles and faster than before and I'm also eating more. But I'm still losing... And the really bad thing is that now I have difficulty processing only one glass of red wine. I mean, how sad is that?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

I am running more miles and faster than before and I'm also eating more. But I'm still losing... And the really bad thing is that now I have difficulty processing only one glass of red wine. I mean, how sad is that?

It's been over two years and 50 pounds since I last had a drink.  It'd be interesting to see what a glass of red wine would do me now.

<3

Mmmmm...beer

I was 188 this morning, still carrying a lil post race fluid, at 6' tall that puts my BMI at 25.5, I'm overweight again. lol  I'm to the point now where I don't care much about what the scale says tho, I'm more concerned with bodyfat.  Of course since I don't lift weights, dropping bodyfat means the scale will go down, so it's still a somewhat useful tool.  I can see myself being comfortable in the 170's.  With how I'm built, I don't think it would be healthy for me to go much below that, or it would mean that my upper body would have to waste away, because my legs are big.

I guess to answer your question, I still have weight to lose before I'm in danger of going too far, but once I get to that point, I wouldn't be willing sacrifice my appearance to get faster.  I'm never gonna make money at this, so my goal is to maintain a healthy balance of speed and physique.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Have you tried switching to rose or white?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

I once read an article about how much elite runners (long distance) weigh. Female elites that were my height were often 95lbs... That weight put them at 16.8 BMI. I'm 17.9 presently... Although I do feel a bit skinny in the upper body, I certainly don't feel underweight.

happylily

Have you tried switching to rose or white?

White and rose do seem easier on my system. I think I'll stick to them from now on.

LRB

It's been over two years and 50 pounds since I last had a drink.  It'd be interesting to see what a glass of red wine would do me now.

I would drink 12-18 ounces a couple few nights a week.  That amount would probably kill me at my current weight!

BruceD555

I'm exactly the same way with the mileage I've been running this year. I had hoped that things would reach a steady-state equilibrium but I've actually needed to make a concerted effort to eat more just to stay close. (BMI calculators put me at 19) Sometimes I feel like a Hobbit in how many meals I end up eating in a day. Wink

Train smart ... race smarter.

Docket_Rocket

I don't let myself concentrate on pounds or BMI numbers since I am 30lbs more than I was 6 years ago but I am wearing a size smaller than then.  Also, my BMI is categorized as obese and although I do need to lose 5-10lbs. I am far from obese.

So I guess my answer would be 5-10lbs at the maximum.  After that, my figure and my performance starts to get affected to the point that is not worth the effort.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I'm going to go with zero.

I will echo the comments about how crazy BMI is. I am 5-10, 170, which puts me at 24.4 & nearly overweight. But I am only 10 lb more than when I graduated high school 31 years ago (and god help me if there isn't a bit more muscle), so no worries. I really can't imagine losing much weight. Also I am more interested in building endurance rather than speed, so maybe minimizing weight is not as important.

Am I the only one who gained weight doing more mileage, though? 

I am glad to hear this from others as well, as I was kind of puzzled by it. I don't put in nearly the kind of miles as many folks here, but I have increased them a bit & my weight is up a few lb. Also I find myself needing to eat constantly, all day long. Kind of gets annoying sometimes. And I only do 35-40 mpw, I can't imagine how you 80-100 mpw people manage it.

Dave