Beginners and Beyond

Week 6 Penguins celebrate the legacy of Rosa Parks! (02/02-02/08) (Read 4 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is Rosa Parks Day, which is cool.  Although I believe we have come a long way in equal rights, I still believe we have such a long way to go.

My day off yesterday was quite nice, except for all the people from work who can't live without me for a day.  One of them was all "You have to do this today so I can submit my grant proposal early tomorrow morning."  You know, this is not something that is possible to do unless you're on campus.  So no, not happening today.  And also, why does it matter if you submit first thing this morning or, say, 11:00?  If you're that much down to the wire, you didn't plan properly.

My bread turned out well, I think.  The electric proofer definitely helped with the rise.  Chorus at the dance studio was also fun, so that's good.  The SB party was a good time, and also a good game, which I like.  I wasn't rooting for either team, really, but at least it wasn't a snooze-fest.

Now the next big thing is my folks' 50th anniversary party, which is Saturday.  My sister texted me yesterday saying, "Is the catering restaurant providing plates and cutlery?"  I said, "I think so, but I'll call and verify for sure."  So after a while I called, and yes, they provide that stuff, and also cups.  So I texted my sister, "Yes, they provide all that and cups."  So she texted back, "That's good, I bought some anyway so I'll bring them too."

That is my sister all over.  She creates so many unnecessary problems for herself -- why couldn't you just wait for an hour until you heard back?  Or say something like, "If they don't, can you handle it?"  But she's wound too tight for anything like that.  So now she has probably 100-200 plates, plastic cutlery, and cups that she doesn't need.  She'll be throwing a 50th anniversary party for her in-laws in a few months, and she can't use the stuff there, because they're all high-class and expensive.  Doubt the red solo cups would go over well ...

Weights today, but no biking, because it's supposed to rain all day.  Which is a shame because DH replaced the tube in my front time, which had developed a slow leak.  We'd patched it a couple of times, so it was probably time to replace.  But I didn't get to try it out!  Maybe tomorrow ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! I have 7 with 3 @ tempo pace tonight.

HopesMom, glad you were able to enjoy your day off, even with the pesky phone calls. And yes, if you waited until the last minute to submit, you didn't plan properly. And at least in my office there is a calendar and people know when others are taking off so no excuse.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - reminds me of the quote about "Poor planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.."  Sounds like you had a fun and busy weekend. What kind of restaurant is catering your party for your parents?

D - enjoy your tempo run. Congratulations on getting your house repairs finished. The cats will be very happy to have the workmen gone and you'll be happy to have the smells back to normal.

I have an interval run today. I was expecting to do it on the TM, since rain is in the forecast, but it hasn't started yet so I may do it outdoors. On the one hand, that means it will go by faster, OTOH, it means I have to deal with either the same boring route I always use for tempo and interval runs, which I ran two days ago, or some big hills.

Singer who runs a smidge

It's a BBQ joint, my mom kept saying, "We just want people to be comfortable."  So it's at the church, BBQ catered, casual dress, lots of relax and chill.  I'm not sure my sister got that message, though, she's going a little overboard with decorations and such.  It's all good.

No biking or weights today.  Skipped one due to laziness and the other due to rain.  Guess which was which!

Tomorrow we head down to NC to throw my folks' 50th anniversary party, so that'll be fun.  And hey, I'm off work through Monday!!  So you won't hear from me for a bit, but I'll be back!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Afternoon! WFH today since I had to give some training to the new trustees yesterday, my normal WFH day. Dropped Rubio off at the vet for his sonogram to check if he really has a mass, etc. I have 8 tonight. We are getting some ice after 4pm.

Ginny, hope the intervals went well.

HopesMom, now I want BBQ.

Damaris