Beginners and Beyond

Marathon pacing vs. Recovery time (Read 70 times)

onemile

I'm simply treating it like an extra long LR this week, something about 30-40 seconds slower than what I think I'm capable of at the moment.

Have you ever run a race this way before?

happylily

Have you ever run a race this way before?

I've had races where I knew that I could not perform to my potential, because of the weather (in the Bahamas and Negril, for example). But in all but one race, I tried my best. The one race where I went in with zero expectation was in New York. It was incredibly windy and also cold (cold for me) and I had raced two weeks earlier, so I was prepared mentally for the possibility that I would end up walking. And I did walk a bit, about 2 or 3 minutes during the 25th mile, I think. But I was ok with that. I started fast, like I like doing, knowing full well that I would end up in a crawl, and for the first time ever I did not stress over it and I enjoyed every mile of that first half. I consider I still did a super-workout that day and I had a great time. I'm ready to repeat the experience in Boston (except that I am not presently in the same shape I was prior to New York, when I had trained for over 20 weeks...) Whatever the day brings, I'm fine with it. And I don't even have to worry about the weather. Bring in the wind, woohoo!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

onemile

I've had races where I knew that I could not perform to my potential, because of the weather (in the Bahamas and Negril, for example). But in all but one race, I tried my best. The one race where I went in with zero expectation was in New York. It was incredibly windy and also cold (cold for me) and I had raced two weeks earlier, so I was prepared mentally for the possibility that I would end up walking. And I did walk a bit, about 2 or 3 minutes during the 25th mile, I think. But I was ok with that. I started fast, like I like doing, knowing full well that I would end up in a crawl, and for the first time ever I did not stress over it and I enjoyed every mile of that first half. I consider I still did a super-workout that day and I had a great time. I'm ready to repeat the experience in Boston (except that I am not presently in the same shape I was prior to New York, when I had trained for over 20 weeks...) Whatever the day brings, I'm fine with it. And I don't even have to worry about the weather. Bring in the wind, woohoo!

For some reason, I am having a hard time picturing you (AND ME) running the first half at MP + 30-40 seconds.

happylily

For some reason, I am having a hard time picturing you (AND ME) running the first half at MP + 30-40 seconds.

Of course, we won't be doing that!. I plan on running the first half about 10-15 seconds faster than I'm capable of. For the second half, I will limp in pain about 90 seconds slower than my MP. You, you will gracefully fly the whole distance.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Of course, we won't be doing that!. I plan on running the first half about 10-15 seconds faster than I'm capable of. For the second half, I will limp in pain about 90 seconds slower than my MP. You, you will gracefully fly the whole distance.

And still BQ!

happylily

And still BQ!

In Jenny's case, she can't help it, she's a natural. I also can't help it if I'm old...

onemile

Of course, we won't be doing that!. I plan on running the first half about 10-15 seconds faster than I'm capable of. For the second half, I will limp in pain about 90 seconds slower than my MP. 

lol now that sounds more like it.

Baboon

delicate flower

If it were me, I would be comfortable with about 5 to 10 seconds per mile faster than the fast end of my easy pace, so for you somewhere in the ballpark of a 3:35 - 3:42 marathon.

I was thinking about the same thing.  I figured running a marathon at LR effort would make for a pretty fast recovery, so for onemile that'd be right around an 8:15 pace.  Obviously we all run LR's in marathon training and they are usually "just another run" and don't need much recovery.    I think onemile can push it a little, shoot for an 8:00 pace and a sub-3:30 marathon, and be recovered within a week.

<3

LRB

I figured running a marathon at LR effort would make for a pretty fast recovery, so for onemile that'd be right around an 8:15 pace. 

I had came up with that pace but deleted the post because I was unsure which VDOT value to use, her half or marathon personal best. But yes, seeing as how this course has downhills and uphills it would be conceivable to vary the pace between 8:30 and 8:00 and average an 8:15.

onemile

8:00-8:15 doesn't sound bad to me. I hate to run it slower than that.  I was just wondering if that was "slow enough"...   

Baboon

delicate flower

8:00-8:15 doesn't sound bad to me. I hate to run it slower than that.  I was just wondering if that was "slow enough"...   

Think about how long it takes you to recover after a LR.  Your log indicates that you bounce back quickly after an 18 miler at that pace.  Tack on another hour at that effort and you'll probably need a little longer to recover. but certainly no more than a week.

<3

happylily

Think about how long it takes you to recover after a LR.  Your log indicates that you bounce back quickly after an 18 miler at that pace.  Tack on another hour at that effort and you'll probably need a little longer to recover. but certainly no more than a week.

This ^.

onemile

Okay, yeah. I have done enough long runs in the 8:15-slightly faster range and typically can do a speed work session two days later.

DavePNW

This is just off the top of my head & not based in fact or experience. I would think one of the two extremes is better - (1) race it all out & go for PR, despite less than optimal training, because I bet you are actually in pretty great shape; (2) easy pace & just soak in the Boston experience, really be able to enjoy all 26.2, bounce back quickly. Something in between, you might wish you did one or the other. But, WTF do I know.

Dave

Love the Half

I treated Boston as a victory lap as well.  The hard work was getting there in the first place.  I stopped at every mile marker and took a picture, kissed some girls at Wellsley, drank beer every time it was offered, danced to Donna Summer with a bigger, older lady, and just generally enjoyed the hell out of myself.  When I finally run New York, I'll treat it the same way.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).