Beginners and Beyond

Sunday Penguins hate traffic due to "bicycle marathons!" (Read 59 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Yay Coralie!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

GinnyinPA

Coralie and Kristin - congratulations on the great races!

C: Aren't you glad you went now?

K:  As an allergy sufferer, I understand how hard it can be to run when the allergies are really active.  For me, it's not the runny nose (since I have that all the time), as much as not being able to catch my breath when the pollen or smoke is really bad.

Mitch - I read the RR.  It was a good description of a crappy race.  Hopefully, your next one will be in sunshine.

Tori - I'm glad you are enjoying your job so much.  Signing up for the HM is a good way to motivate you to continue running regularly.  It's sometimes hard when your lifestyle changes to keep the parts you want to keep from the old life.

Bin - nice going on the miles.  I take it your body isn't causing problems any more?  You've recovered from your vacation?

Zelanie- enjoy your walk today.  Good job getting the yard work done.

AFM:  I want to do some yard work today, but I also need to run.  I plan to do a tempo run on the TM, then get out and mow.

I've decided to more or less attempt to follow a plan (SmartCoach) for my fall race.  I hate following plans, so paying for something like Running Wizard really doesn't make sense right now.  And as a beginner, the more technical plans don't really interest me either.  I've also had some problems in the past when I did speed work, so I'm more interested in having a good mileage base than doing a lot of speed work.  Still, I know that some speed work is necessary, if I'm ever to get any faster.  So a plan that does either tempo or intervals, but not both each week, sounds good. If I have no written plan, then I tend to do too much.  I look at my log for the past four months, and I sure haven't been good at following the 10% rule.  I'm hoping that if I follow a plan, I'll at least be able to keep from increasing my mileage too fast.  We'll see if I can do it this time.

Sloooow.

Thanks guys.... I ran a great race! Especially considering  the allergies got really bad during and my nose started running like a faucet lol. 28:42 according to the Garmin....which is 11 stupid seconds slower than my PR. Oh well....the race was better executed on my part (wait for the RR to see the splits) so I'll take it. Ran 3 additional miles to make it 6.1

Congrats on the great race! Sorry about the allergies though Sad

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

RR is up. I'm speedy like that.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats Kristin and Coralie.  You both ran fantastic today.  Well Done.

LR today w/dw.  Perfect day and a zillion runners on the bike path.  10 @ 10:54.  Just took it slow and enjoyed the run and my foot didn't bother me today either.  Wore thicker socks so my foot was a little more stable and I've been stretching/rolling it like crazy.  4 weeks to next HM "fun run".

Got a Priceline deal to stay a couple of nights on Michigan Ave. on Mothers Day weekend.  Going to see Book of Mormon and do lots of running on the gorgeous lakefront.  Both DD's will be home too.  Sweet !!!

Dad on the run.

So... my night was interesting, good beer, great wings, slapped my best friend across the face (I told him I would and no one at the table but him believed me). Got in trouble by my wife, and my best friends wife, and was up all night with a insanely terrible hangover.

We went to buffalo wild wings last night it was us, my best friend and his wife, and 2 other couples that we are friends with. The night started off pretty sane with lots of laughter, my friend and I ordered the usual 50 wings with 10 of them being the tried and true Mango Habanero (after a few beers we decided to dip these already extremely hot wings into their hottest sauce they carry called blazing, not the smartest thing to do and I was miserable for a solid 10minutes afterwards), these things are extremely hot but have an amazing flavor to them. We are borderline in pain from the heat from all the wings, the beer just seems to amplify it and we are too stupid to stop. After about 3 tall glasses we are all feeling the effects of the alcohol. We have about half left in our glass and my friends says we should race to the bottom, now I"m not one to usually brag but I'm like "your going to lose" and of course that got everyone riled up. My glass was gone before they even got started going good, not sure how I do it, but I do it. So of course they had to see it again, my buddy ordered me another tall. This glass if full and cold so I'm a little worried. But alas I'm not known for being real smart when I'm around my buddies. Our IQ drops exponentially. Off I go 7 sec later my beer is gone and my stomach feels like I just took a shot of liquid nitrogen. The after effect of my stupidity was me running to the bathroom... you can imagine the rest.

After that extravaganza, we are back at the table and I just randomly hit my Bobby in the arm and he hits me back. So know we are swapping licks (can't you already see our maturity level when we are together?). I told him he hit like a girl and if the next hit didn't hurt I was reaching over and slapping him. I think he was the only one who believed me (I once acted like I was going to hit him in the gut in high school and he replied "you won't do it" so I did and he was all doubled over in pain for the next several minutes, since then he never questions me). So he punches and I slap the piss out of him, it was at that moment that his wife was all "Its time for us to go" and we got in trouble. The only woman at the table not embarrassed was a girl named Amanda who I think was a bit of a party girl back in the day. Now she is mom to a awesome little 5 year old name Nicholas and has another bun in the oven (no she did not drink). All in all we had a great time but the rest of the night following that even was not so forgiving. I didn't get myself out of bed until 12 pm. I'm not proud of what I did and I come to realize I'm to old for this shit, lol.

Now back to running. No running for me today. I'm taking the day off and just going to relax. My feet were pretty sore yesterday and I really don't feel like an injury.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

GinnyinPA

Jimmy - I can believe the "no running today".  Yikes.

Jerry - I'm glad the ankle is feeling better.

hog4life

Jimmy, that is friggin hilarious!! But not the hangover of course.

Kristin, Coralie, congrats to both of you!

tracilynn

Great job on some new PRs today. Wondering how D and TOmas did too. I ran 3 miles today Which is a PB POST injury distance for me. Finally back in the 5k range! Ha.

M Have a good day!  Off to read kristin and Mitch's RRs.

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Jimmy,  hope the IQ comes back.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Yay, Traci.

Great job on some new PRs today. Wondering how D and TOmas did too. I ran 3 miles today Which is a PB POST injury distance for me. Finally back in the 5k range! Ha.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job, Coralie!

33:24!!!!!!!!! 10:46 overall pace, 1:15PR. I'm so happy!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job!

Here is my summary until I put an RR up when I get home.

It was possibly the hottest and most humid race I have ever done.  And I live in Miami where I think 90F and 90% humidity is bad.  This was worse.  I feel very bad ass for having finished this, as the weather was bad.

DH posted some pics of my finish in FB.  He managed to make me look like an athlete.

Damaris

Bin Running

Mel, you should put Ironman on your date list if you digg Marvel stuff.. Your DH will think you are so cool too.. haa

Ginny, I guessed I have somewhat recovered.. Speed is still missing.. bleah.. Well, hope I can still PR in Month end HM.. Probably have to check with forum how do you execute a good carbo plan for a midnight race.

Kristin, you did well considering all factor..

Coralie, well done! PR is always something to celebrate..

Jerry, Good job with the 10M..I bet your DD will have lots to share when they are back..

Jimmy, sound like a crazy night to remember.. haaa.. Hope DW and Bob DW didn't give you too much troubles.. These are guys way to a fun night.. Tongue

Traci, Good job getting the run in..

Damaris, I am sure you have a blast... Can't wait for the RR.. I know you are fast on these...

Just trace my LR, 14+.. 53.5M PR for the week.. Monday 7am where I am.. 6am shift today and I hate these.. but I get to go off early..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Mmmmm...beer

Hola Penguins!

Way to go Kristin, Coralie and Tomas!! Smile

10.7 miles this evening, bringing me to a new weekly mileage PR of 80.2 miles, my first 80+ mile week. Smile

Hope everyone has a had a great weekend, back to the grind tomorrow. Sad

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!