Beginners and Beyond

Now serving MonDAILIES! (Read 47 times)

B-Plus

SRD, me thinks.

LRB

I counted my HM medals and I have more of those than marathon medals.  How the heck did that happen?  I shall match them this weekend.  Boo.

Someday I am going to do something with all of those things but as of now, they are all in a box.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

JJ - Thoughts for your sister. Wow, I couldn't imagine having something the size of my melon in my belly.

Damaris - You're crazy. You've been all congested and feeling like crap and you're still going to go out and run a FM.

For me, 8 Easy miles on the TM this morning. Current feels like is -36. Lots of wind and cold this weekend. Hopefully it can warm up a tad so I can run outside this weekend.

- Andrew

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I will be so freaking glad when January is over, hell I will be glad when winter finally ends.

I got up this morning at 4:25 AM, looked at the forecast then out the window and said to myself "fuck that". I was still wore out from yesterday, not sore or anything but just tired even though Dorian and I had fallen asleep at 9 PM last night (wow). Not only that, but it was like 12 degrees and the winds were blowing 25 mph............ FUCK THAT! Plus I don't think it is a good idea to go running trails during high winds like that, there are a lot of dead, weak trees out in the woods. So hopefully tomorrow I will suffer 6 degrees with a wind chill of -5 or whatever, but only 7 mph winds.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Zelanie

Good morning!  I won $40 to the LRS at my running club's potluck last night.  Looks like I will be getting some new shoes!

Today is either a 10 mile MLR or a SRD, depending on whether DD wants to do anything for her actual birthday, which is today.

JJ- Good thoughts for your sister.  A former coworker of mine had something similar, and I believe she got through it OK.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Hopefully I don't sound like pretentious running snob, but I gotta tell you about my cousin and his SO. They've been signing up for races lately - she's been pulling him in to the sport. She's pretty quick, running a 1:41 HM. He ran 2:30ish at the same race. He trained 5 weeks for that race, and she takes her winters off but runs in the warmer months.

I saw on FB this week that she signed both of them up for a Marathon (Grandmas). Holy mackerel! I hope that they take it slow and get through it, but the FM is no joke. I know what it takes runners including myself to go from Start to Finish, and color me concerned that they're tackling this distance. It's not 2x as hard as a HM, it's probably 3x.

- Andrew

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

JJ - Thoughts for your sister. Wow, I couldn't imagine having something the size of my melon in my belly.

Damaris - You're crazy. You've been all congested and feeling like crap and you're still going to go out and run a FM.

For me, 8 Easy miles on the TM this morning. Current feels like is -36. Lots of wind and cold this weekend. Hopefully it can warm up a tad so I can run outside this weekend.

It's been two weeks in which a simple cold wrecked my asthma.  If I give in, I won't run for 6 months, which is how long my last cough lasted!

Damaris

outoftheblue

Thank you everyone, for all the kind words and thoughts yesterday.  LRB, thanks for sharing your story on how your mother's funeral brought the family together for years to come.    You guys are the best!

Life is good.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Oh no sorry to hear out of the blue....I wasn't around the forum much yesterday Sad

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

StepbyStep-SH

Hopefully I don't sound like pretentious running snob, but I gotta tell you about my cousin and his SO. They've been signing up for races lately - she's been pulling him in to the sport. She's pretty quick, running a 1:41 HM. He ran 2:30ish at the same race. He trained 5 weeks for that race, and she takes her winters off but runs in the warmer months.

I saw on FB this week that she signed both of them up for a Marathon (Grandmas). Holy mackerel! I hope that they take it slow and get through it, but the FM is no joke. I know what it takes runners including myself to go from Start to Finish, and color me concerned that they're tackling this distance. It's not 2x as hard as a HM, it's probably 3x.

Not a snob - just realistic! Granted, they have 6 months until Grandma's, but that's if they started training last week. And essentially 0 to marathon in 6 months is not going to be a picnic. If they make it to the finish, they may be totally turned off on running as a result due to the pain afterwards. Sad

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Ric-G

here's to january and its bad weather being over for you guys...feel for you.

lrb - great words on family yesterday; take care blue;

jj - thoughts and prayers for your sister

just read that madden sports predicted broncos over seahawks and it's has been right 80% of the time!

oh and i lost a $10 starbucks gift card...wtf! i iknow it's only 10 bucks but that still sucks in my book big time. anyway i will get out and run 3 to 4 miles later. have a good day all.

marathon pr - 3:16

DavePNW

I saw on FB this week that she signed both of them up for a Marathon (Grandmas). Holy mackerel! I hope that they take it slow and get through it, but the FM is no joke. I know what it takes runners including myself to go from Start to Finish, and color me concerned that they're tackling this distance. It's not 2x as hard as a HM, it's probably 3x 10x.

FYP.

Not a snob - just realistic! Granted, they have 6 months until Grandma's, but that's if they started training last week. And essentially 0 to marathon in 6 months is not going to be a picnic. If they make it to the finish, they may be totally turned off on running as a result due to the pain afterwards. Sad

Maybe, maybe not. Certainly it will be miserable. But if they really enjoy running, the experience may also inspire them to improve their training so they can do it better next time. That was my response to my first (woefully undertrained, excruciatingly painful) marathon. Well the "doing it better" part hopefully will come someday....

Dave

LRB

Hopefully I don't sound like pretentious running snob, but I gotta tell you about my cousin and his SO.

Just try to be as supportive and positive as you can, as not everyone wants to wait until they have been running two to four years with a solid base yada, yada, yada before tackling the big one.

I ran mine a year after I started running and yes that bitch hurt like a mofo, but I had the greatest sense of accomplishment ever when it was done.  You do not want to ruin that for someone.

When giving advice just tell them what you would do and why, then offer an alternative for someone who would do it differently.  That way, you have given them all the necessary caution without coming off as a pretentious running snob.  lol

LRB

oh and i lost a $10 starbucks gift card...wtf! i iknow it's only 10 bucks but that still sucks in my book big time.

Okay, that F'n blows!  I have had a few of those over the years and it is nice to have it to whip out for your standard fare, or for trying something you likely would never have tried.

Yugo8

Good afternoon, dailies.

7 miles today so far.  Lunching it up while working now.  I hope everyone has good runs or rest days as planned and stays warm.