Beginners and Beyond

Now serving MonDAILIES! (Read 47 times)

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Dave - LOL, nice fix. I hope it does inspire them to keep running. It would be great to get other consistent runners in my family. Smile

Just try to be as supportive and positive as you can, as not everyone wants to wait until they have been running two to four years with a solid base yada, yada, yada before tackling the big one.

I ran mine a year after I started running and yes that bitch hurt like a mofo, but I had the greatest sense of accomplishment ever when it was done.  You do not want to ruin that for someone.

When giving advice just tell them what you would do and why, then offer an alternative for someone who would do it differently.  That way, you have given them all the necessary caution without coming off as a pretentious running snob.  lol

Yeah, I'm not trying to pee in their Cheerios. I just asked about their lodging since that's a sticking point with that race. If they do ask for any help I'll gladly offer. At this point I'd be like: Run 3-4 times a week and try to get in a longer run, even though it might take you 2.5 hrs.

- Andrew

John Rustle

^^^fussy biatch

Morning Ya'll!

NOTHING for me today, but can't wait to get back after it tomorrow.  I can feel my whole body getting stronger little by little and able to sustain longer on runs.  Loving it!

Happy running everybody!

Will run for scenery.

Well, all the pent up rage that kept me awake all night has been crafted spewed into a email and sent to the person who has been making my life a living hell, with carbons sent to the higher ups.  In some ways, maybe not the best of all possible approaches.....  This kind of thing is so foreign and unlike me that I really feel pretty sick.  Maybe some good will come of it.  I just really wish I could go for a pent-up-rage run.  Or at least a nap.  I just really hate this.

P.S. I'm sorry for venting.  Maybe we could have a thread for people who are just pissed off and want to rant a little ?

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Dave - LOL, nice fix. I hope it does inspire them to keep running. It would be great to get other consistent runners in my family. Smile

Yeah, I'm not trying to pee in their Cheerios. I just asked about their lodging since that's a sticking point with that race. If they do ask for any help I'll gladly offer. At this point I'd be like: Run 3-4 times a week and try to get in a longer run, even though it might take you 2.5 hrs.

Knowing my husband runs twice a week for a HM, I have learned not to provide advice unless asked.  I agree, being supportive at this time and also add that you've done marathons before and that if they need any help or suggestions, you're there for them.  Maybe that should open the door for them to listen to your advice.

Damaris

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Brrrr...if she can run a 1:4X half marathon it doesn't sound like she's a beginner..... Is he your primary concern? How long have they been running? What's wrong with a 2:30 HM....that's not bad at all! Is it just that you don't think they have the base to kick off marathon training? I'm confused as to the issue.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185, enjoy your rest day.

Rick, I hope that the posterior feels better.

Shari, congratulations on a great race! Stay safe in the cold.

Damaris, more HM medals?

Oski, I hope that your post-work dinner is yummy.

B-Plus, enjoy your rest day.

Andrew, excellent easy eight.

FreeSoul87, yikes!

Zelanie, have fun, whatever you do.

Andrew, what is she thinking?

Ric-G, have a fantastic run.

Yugo8, sweet seven.

John Rustle, have a pleasant day.

jjs22, I heard you and started it.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Brrrr...if she can run a 1:4X half marathon it doesn't sound like she's a beginner..... Is he your primary concern? How long have they been running? What's wrong with a 2:30 HM....that's not bad at all! Is it just that you don't think they have the base to kick off marathon training? I'm confused as to the issue.

The times aren't really an issue. There are people who have talent that can go out and run 1:41. I'm not one of them. I put in a fair amount of miles and I haven't gotten that. In my opinion just because you're talented it doesn't mean that you should go out and run a long distance. It was more of an illustration that she's done more training than him.

To be honest I am more concerned with him just because of his straight-up lack of training. She trains enough where she could get by. I think you do need to train your body to take the punishment of 26 miles of pounding though. Maybe I'm wrong there. I think the FM distance should garner more respect than what I observed. I know I've done 6 Halves and 1 Full, and that one FM was such an ass-kicker for me that I just shudder to think about what it would do to someone who's ran 1 or 2 Halves.

- Andrew

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Is anybody else tired of this cold weather, hell not so much the cold weather but the damn wind or is it just my area?

After contemplating our conversation on fast food and subway, I decided to try and fix my lunches at home and bring them in... trying to avoid fast food completely. So far, since Wednesday I have been successful - my lunch consists of either baked chicken (breast or tenders) or baked turkey (breast or filet) along with either dressing/stuffing or green beans, and something sweet potato. Last week it was roasted sweet potato slices, this week it is Sweet Potato Muffins. DH, Dorian and I went to Cracker Barrel last night and in their little gift shop area I saw it!!! - A box of Sweet Potato Pancake mix, but last night I decided to make muffins with it and they are pretty damn good. Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

I'm not tired of the cold. I'm tired of the darned patches of ice that force me run more slowly, to avoid slipping. I've taken it indoors because of that.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'm tired of everything below 30 dang it, and I want to start wearing less clothing on my runs damn it :'(

I'd lose my mind if I had to take indoors, I'd rather suffer the below 0 temps and ice than suffer indoors lol.

I'm not tired of the cold. I'm tired of the darned patches of ice that force me run more slowly, to avoid slipping. I've taken it indoors because of that.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

Andrew, I agree. My SO will not run 8 months of the year, then he decides to sign up for a 5k, trains 12 weeks, gets shin splints, runs his 5k, then he stops running for another 8 months. I'm fine with it. I would prefer if he became a regular runner, but it's not his thing and I respect that. But... I would never let him begin a marathon training plan. If your cousin is a seasonal runner with lower yearly mileage, training for a marathon is not a good idea... Also, it's not only the race which brings a risk of injury, it's the training for the race. To go from light running to marathon training is usually when people get injured.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

But... I would never let him begin a marathon training plan.

How would you stop him?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

How would you stop him?

This.  And is it your duty to do so?

Damaris

happylily

How would you stop him?

I can be very convincing, don't worry. I win all my battles through wearing him out during verbal arguments. The man deserves a medal for putting up with me.

happylily

This.  And is it your duty to do so?

I would think so. If I believe that he might injure himself, or suffer needlessly, why would I just stand there and pretend he's going to do great?