Beginners and Beyond

To race or train, that is the question: 10k Race Report (Read 71 times)

LRB

The schedule called for 2 miles easy + 4 X 12 minutes @ tempo pace w/ 2 minute recoveries + 2 miles easy.

But, I was obligated to either run or volunteer an event for a company I blog for so I ran the 10k, finishing with an official time of 43:07.

Looking at my choices, it was basically 6 in one hand or a half-dozen in the other.  So by racing the event, I killed two birds with one stone so to speak.  But alas, if only it were that easy.

I knew when I stepped outside my door this morning that those were not conditions to race in (75 degrees, 69 dew point, 90% humidity).  It was not overly hot, but the air felt wet.  To put that in perspective upon completion of the race my socks, shoes, shorts and singlet were all completely drenched, despite nary a drop of rain falling from the sky.

Yeah.

So anyway, once there I barely managed .66 miles for a warmup at a 10:06 pace.  Translation; I did not feel like running, let alone racing!

There was a 10 minute delay to the start which did not make things any easier.  That was due to a change in course which now had the 10k runners doing the 5k loop twice, something that made an already sucky day, suckier.  Two 5k loops?  Just shoot me already!

I ran this race on empty stomach, something I never do.  But I thought it best to run it as I train since I was well, training.  That decision however, played no part in the egg I was about to lay.

Daniels does not really advocate for progression runs, so despite that being an appealing idea, my impromptu strategy was to try to run as even splits as I could.  Knowing full well they would be nowhere near tempo pace (6:38) and they were not.

6:54

7:02

6:59

7:02

7:19

7:23

It was all I could do to not enter the chute after the first loop and be done with the whole stupid thing.  When I ran by it, I seriously wanted to cry!

From that point on, the race was just a mental screw job.  I still do not know how I completed that second loop, as I was just so done with it all.  My only signs of life were at mile 6, when someone announced the first 10k lady was approaching the finish right behind me, and I managed to out-kick her to the finish.

What I took from this event, and why I am even writing the report at all is that racing a goal half marathon in two weeks is a bad idea.  My quads are not lively these days and the mental get up and go I normally have has been sapped by Daniels and his ridiculous fuckin' workouts.

It makes no sense then to go out there and dead-ass it for 13.1 miles and I am not.  I am really disappointed with that but I think it best.

As a result, I will put my dreams of a big fat shiny new PR for the half marathon distance on the shelf as I get back to the lab tomorrow, and give my marathon training the continued focus and attention it deserves.

In the end I came in ninth overall, first in my age group, got a 43 minute crappy tempo run in but most importantly; my running priorities for the next seven weeks are now in order.

And for that I gotta say, today was a good day.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Don't write off the half just yet.  It sounds crazy but stuff just changes so fast from week to week.  1 week before my last week's 10k I'd have told ya chances were slim, then I blow by my goal by over a minute.  (Not to mention your sucky race was almost 5 minutes faster than my PR) Wink

Also consider how you might have felt if you'd made today's race a progression run.  I know my 5+ mile training runs almost always feel better that way as I'll record maybe a 9:30 on mile 1 but then as low a 7:30 on the last mile or two.

I'd say if you change your mind (and you just might) that you should modify the Daniel's plan to accommodate the half.  If you're really after the Full, I think a Half is great training for it. (Ryan hall's running VB tomorrow for that very reason).

BTW, you see this recent pic of Daniels?

Randy

workinprogress11

I'm sorry the weather and race were kind of sucky, but you still pulled out the AG win so congratulations for that. I, too, think you should take a couple of days before writing off the half. Even a shift in the weather could make a big difference in how you are feeling.

Zelanie

Sorry that you had a rotten day, but I'm glad it was for some silly race that you had to go to rather than a goal race that you'd put a lot of effort into.

I'd say give it a week and see how you're feeling before making any firm decisions on the half.  Could it have just been an off day?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I say wait until closer  to the race to see how the weather is.  You cannot expect to run well today when the air is wet.  I find dewpoint worse to run in than heat alone.

Good workout.

Damaris

B-Plus

That sounds brutal. If your main goal is the marathon, I agree and say screw it to the half in 2 weeks.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I agree with B-Plus but you could race it as a benchmark to know where your paces are at.  A HM is a better predictor than a 5K or a 10K.

Damaris

happylily

I say race the HM as hard as you can. It is great preparation for the marathon. You have been doing a lot of short races lately, and racing 26.2 miles is totally different, as you well know. This upcoming half would be a great rehearsal for you. Sure, you might not PR in it, but by giving it your all, you are conditioning yourself, mentally and physically, for the pain of the longer distance. The only way you will be certain that you can actually race something like a marathon, is if you can race a half before. Go for it, it will also give you a good indication of what your endurance is like. You know you have the speed, but do you have the endurance to match the speed necessary for your goal finish time?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

You won your AG even when not feeling at all like racing, in tough conditions. That's nothing to sneeze at.

If you're fed up with the "grind" of Daniels, maybe 2-3 very, very slow recovery days would be in order?

LRB

I say race the HM as hard as you can. It is great preparation for the marathon. 

I actually raced a half marathon two weeks ago, I just logged it as a marathon pace training run.  I did not race it all out because that was not that days goal.

I suppose if conditions are favorable in two weeks I could try it, favorable for me being sub-60 degrees or even better, sub-50.  I think I am sure I mentally checked out this morning when I stepped outside my door, and was never into the stupid thing.

Jay, I have come a long way when a time like that is disappointing for me!  Daniels is okay, the conditions in which we train sometimes make it hell more than anything.

Ric-G

agreed. no easy choices but racing on empty stomach and lousy warm-up show you are doing well. i think you'll be ok with or without the hm. do it if it feels right.

You won your AG even when not feeling at all like racing, in tough conditions. That's nothing to sneeze at.

If you're fed up with the "grind" of Daniels, maybe 2-3 very, very slow recovery days would be in order?

marathon pr - 3:16

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Not the same!

I actually raced a half marathon two weeks ago, I just logged it as a marathon pace training run.  I did not race it all out because that was not that days goal.

I suppose if conditions are favorable in two weeks I could try it, favorable for me being sub-60 degrees or even better, sub-50.  I think I am sure I mentally checked out this morning when I stepped outside my door, and was never into the stupid thing.

Jay, I have come a long way when a time like that is disappointing for me!  Daniels is okay, the conditions in which we train sometimes make it hell more than anything.

Damaris

LRB

Not the same!

I know, it was 3:00 am when I wrote that though, cut me some slack.

Nice singlet.  Joking

meaghansketch

I would chalk this one up to tired legs and unfavorable conditions.  You've really been getting into the toughest part of your marathon training plan (and it's not an easy plan, as I know I don't have to tell you), you're not going to race at your best.  Especially when you're asking yourself to give a strong effort 3 days a week, in tough conditions, you're just not going to have it mentally every day.  I wouldn't write off the HM just yet.   I wouldn't do it if the conditions are unfavorable, but if it looks like it's going to be a decent day to race, it can be a good, confidence-building workout.  I agree with Jay that 2-3 days off (or at least off from workouts) may be in order if you're starting to feel burned out.

All that said...

Dude, you still won your AG!  And got in the top 10 OVERALL!  Even though your legs were tired and you weren't mentally into giving your best effort!  That is HUGE and deserves big congratulations.   CONGRATS!

Love the Half

I agree. Tired legs + high humidity = suck ass race.  If you run the half, you probably need to decide whether you want to really race it or to just use it as a training run.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).