Beginners and Beyond

Summer SaturDAILIES Are winding down (Read 43 times)

StepbyStep-SH

Run fail! I was dressed, water bottle filled, Garmin on, standing in the kitchen about to put on my shoes when my inner whiny child said "I don't wanna! You can't make me!" And then the tired adult reasoned that one ankle is a little sore, and this close to the race, extra sleep might almost be better for me than a run, so ...

I climbed back into bed. Bad runner.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Zelanie

Morning!  The school year is coming in like a lion this year, boo.  But I do get to run 5 later, and that will be great.

Moth- So happy to see you recovering so well (and posting more over here!)

Marjorie- Enjoy the puppy pool!

Tom- Hope the LR goes well!

Phil- Good luck tomorrow!

Burrrn- My hat is off to you running a 5K like that without any of the trappings of a race.

D- Hope the 8er is a good one!

LRB- Nice tempo!  You don't like to run any cool down after your speed work?

Jess- You will do great tomorrow!

LRB

You don't like to run any cool down after your speed work?

Yes, always.   It is usually a mile or so if I run from home, but today's run was at the the trail so it was just under a half mile.

Hi Marj!

Hang tough Tom!

Take it nice and easy today Boon and tomorrow will bring shiny new PR.

Burrrn, it is not an "official" PR, but yeah, if you want to count it as a PR, no one here is going to argue it.  It just basically means that when you do run your next race, you will probably average a sub-7:00 across the board, and like Boon, a big fat shiny new PR can be expected.

Having said that, major kudos for going out there and trying that.  Training runs at any pace are difficult, and for me, 5k time trials are almost impossible!

Good morning Darling.

That was funny Step!  I was already woke looking at my alarm and waiting for it to go off this morning.  Our friends and family sometimes just do not realize that running as a hobby is not easy!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Burrrn, it is not an "official" PR, but yeah, if you want to count it as a PR, no one here is going to argue it.  It just basically means that when you do run your next race, you will probably average a sub-7:00 across the board, and like Boon, a big fat shiny new PR can be expected.

Having said that, major kudos for going out there and trying that.  Training runs at any pace are difficult, and for me, 5k time trials are almost impossible!

Agreed! I can't wait until my next 5k, which I think will be closer to Halloween. I should be able to nail my 7mm pace by then, especially with the tempo runs I have coming up for my FM training. I plan on running those around an 8mm pace.

- Andrew

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

14.3 miles in the books, 9:50 overall pace, my longest run ever.  Ever! The last mile or so was very taxing, but I was determined to make it past 14 and I did!

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Ric-G

12 miles this AM to cap off this week which never felt quite right. Oh well, march on to next week. Now some yard duty and assorted tasks. Have a great day all.

tom - congrats on the 14+ miler...nice job!

marathon pr - 3:16

Jess runs for bacon

14.3 miles in the books, 9:50 overall pace, my longest run ever.  Ever! The last mile or so was very taxing, but I was determined to make it past 14 and I did!

Boom! Congrats Smile

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

My workout is complete!

I had been thinking about this stupid thing all frickin' week, even dreaming last night that me and SIAR ran it, lol!

It is not the workout as written, as running 17 to 19 miles total did not appeal to me in the least, so I took out some of the easy miles.

2.16 mile warmup: 9:10 pace
                  1.5 miles @ tempo: 6:57

3 min recovery

1.5 miles @ tempo: 7:02

3 minute recovery
                  2.71 miles easy:  8:37
                  3 miles @ tempo: 7:05

I made the decision way back in February that I would not stress over my target pace during speed work, focusing instead on completing each interval.  We cannot control how our bodies feel during any given workout, so pushing for something that is not there is not something that I want to do.

I never hit my target pace today but I feel really good about the workout as a whole.  Those last three miles @ 7:05 were really a test of mettle, and though I came up short on pace, I sure as hell showed mettle!

All in all I got in 12 miles total, and I am one happy boy!

Haha, that's amazing.  I hope you carried my dragging butt to the finish too.  That looks like a great workout for teaching discipline on the front end.  I would give that to anyone that struggles with going out too fast in races for sure.  And I agree completely with what you said about not just pushing for a number, but for what that pace is on a given day.  It's what I was trying to get at in the whole "all out mile" discussion.

As for me, I'm back from 22.1 miles this morning at 7:26 pace.  It was a nice run on a different route than usual, and was nice to have some company moving at a decent pace.  It's so gorgeous out that I was just grateful to be out and enjoying the day.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Great job!  You should have been at our running group today...so many of our runners did their longest ever runs at right about that pace too...it was great to see!  Plus, when they start to limp around afterwards, the rest of us just smile and nod, knowing we've been there too.

Burnn...Nice work on the 5k.  get out there and race a real one and take even more time off of it.

Ric...Yep, tick it off and move on.  12 isn't a bad day no matter how you felt.

Zelanie...Good luck surviving for a bit with school starting.  Hope the runs help with your sanity.

Step...Ha, bad runner.  Your new pic on here is quite fetching!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

LRB

Mentally, it can kill you lol!

Good stuff Tom, we have all been there on our way to 26.2!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Great job Tom!

- Andrew

Will run for scenery.

Yay!

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

HobbitLegs

elevenses

5.25 smothersome miles. Helping DH with some yard work.

LRB

Helping DH with some yard work.

I did not mention it but I cut the grass after my run so you and Ric have company, plus Dave P is always cutting his so that makes the four of us!

Baboon

delicate flower

I didn't get out for my easy run this morning, and now going for one will serve no benefit with a race tomorrow morning.  Not to mention, I am feeling lazy right now.  So, rest day.

<3