Beginners and Beyond

In a situation of war, should normal rules and ethics apply? (Read 109 times)

happylily

Also - this.

That's my SO and me! I can only solve one problem at a time. Sometimes I have to work well into the night. He doesn't get that yet.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

I change my mind all the time after reading other people's opinions. For example, from now on for me, it's going to be: "Merry conifer Day!" Everyone likes a tree, right? Big grin

Conifer?  CONIFER?  Do you have something against deciduous trees?

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Given the abundance of leaves in my back yard, I don't think this is a good time to ask my opinion of deciduous trees! Smile

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I thought women usually preferred furs, oops firs.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Hip Redux

Given the abundance of leaves in my back yard, I don't think this is a good time to ask my opinion of deciduous trees! Smile

Fun fact - my house used to be a Christmas tree farm, so we have all evergreens.  Unfortunately, they planted some scotch pines and they drop more branches than any other tree I've seen!

Jay - PERFECT lol

happylily

First: thank you to Jay for the Canadian content this morning. That was nice. Smile

The rest of you are grounded for being too funny. The internet IS serious business! Angry

Hip Redux

Also - I was quoted three times in a row.  Doesn't that mean I get a RA prize or something?

DavePNW

Also - I was quoted three times in a row.  Doesn't that mean I get a RA prize or something?

You already won the last meltdown-ish thread. Let's not get greedy. What are you looking for - gift card for your local MRI facility?

Oh, and there's #4.

Dave

happylily

I have some old running shoes I could send you. They only have a few hundred miles on them. 500 or 600 at most... But I'd need to wash them first. Big grin

Speaking of which, serious question, not religious and not political, I assure you: I received an email from the organisers of my next marathon and they are asking that we bring old running shoes to donate to the community there. I have about 25 pairs I think. I need to clean them first. I know the subject has been discussed many times in the past, but I never paid attention to it, because I thought it was boring. Big grin Any ideas?

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

There can still be murder in a war situation.  The Afghani was severely wounded and unable to continue the fight.  The British soldiers had captured him and at that point he is no longer a combatant and Geneva conventions dictate that you now must help and protect.  The Afghani was not attempting to escape and while it said he was armed it did not indicate that he was attempting to shoot the Brits (did not watch the video and these questions might be answered there) so for the Brit to shoot and kill him it was murder.

Fun fact - my house used to be a Christmas tree farm

Cool, mine as well.  Smile

Most of the farmed trees are blue spruce, but now they're either grown too closely to be of any use, or would only fit in a mansion or municipal building.

I also have some Norway spruce that tower over the house, keeping it cool all summer, and white pines in the back yard that are intent on filling my gutters with needles.

I received an email from the organisers of my next marathon and they are asking that we bring old running shoes to donate to the community there. I have about 25 pairs I think. I need to clean them first. I know the subject has been discussed many times in the past, but I never paid attention to it, because I thought it was boring. Big grin Any ideas?

You can put them in the washing machine and let them air dry.  I've never had more than one pair in with towels and sheets;  a whole load of shoes might be a bad idea Big grin.

Hip Redux

Cool Jay!

My neighbor (also part of the previous farm) had gorgeous spruces in his front yard.  He cut them all down.  47 of them!

The scotch pines are slowly dying off - we've had to cut one or two down each year.  Makes me sad.  There's a plight that they catch and we've been unable to get ahead of it.  Unfortunately, it's starting now to spread to some of the spruces and pines.  We had them sprayed this fall in an attempt to save them.

Here's our front yard of the scotch pines-

And the backyard:

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Your back yard appears to be considerably colder than the front, Oski!

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54