Beginners and Beyond

Yummy. Subway to remove chemical in bread found in yoga mats. (Read 111 times)

Baboon

delicate flower

I am not conviced this chemical is used in yoga mats.  I own a yoga mat, and if it was made with anything edible, my dog would have eaten the mat already.

<3

Hip Redux

I think catwhoorg is a chemist, FYI.

Well, then he should know better.  Smile  Not all chemicals are dangerous and not all chemicals are safe, and talking about bananas when the topic is on a food additive that is banned in the EU and Australia is silly.

Signed,

Tired of the dihydrogen monoxide joke,

Oski, Ph.D.

Yugo8

Well, then he should know better.  Smile  Not all chemicals are dangerous and not all chemicals are safe, and talking about bananas when the topic is on a food additive that is banned in the EU and Australia is silly.

Signed,

Oski, Ph.D.

+ 1000

DavePNW

I am not conviced this chemical is used in yoga mats.  I own a yoga mat, and if it was made with anything edible, my dog would have eaten the mat already.

What kind of dog do you have, which only eats things that are edible?

Funny as I opened this thread I was eating a banana. Yet the ingredient list did not stop me from finishing it. And ingredient lists in other things will not stop me from eating them. I think it is very difficult to tell whether food additives are truly harmful or benign, especially when looking at long term effects, as it is dependent on so many factors e.g. concentration/amount, interactions with other substances, etc. But I (foolishly perhaps) trust the FDA to do a decent enough job of keeping out the really bad ones. And I choose to live a little bit dangerously in that regard. Just one more thing I don't want to have to worry about. I am probably more likely to be killed getting hit by a car or slipping on ice while out running anyway.

Dave

catwhoorg

Labrat

Signed,

Oski, Ph.D.

I am fully aware of what Azodicarbonamide is, its regulatory status in the different continents and the reactions of it when used as a blowing agent in polyurethane foams, or when used as a 'flour improver' in baking.

A better angle for this piece wouldn't be that Azodicarbonamide is a chemical also used in yoga mats (as is plain old water), but would focus on why the EU and Australia don't allow it as a food additive but the US Canada, and various Asian countries do.

I'm tired of stupid analogies (X is also used in Y, so therefore its crazy to use in Z), and would rather people focused on the safety or otherwise of individual chemicals, and chemical combination.

The dihydrogen monoxide 'joke' as you call it, makes a very serious point, the name something is called can be a whole lot scarier than what the substance actually is.

I rather enjoyed my citric acid/sucrose solution for todays lunch. Don't normally touch the stuff, but today was a rare exception.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

catwhoorg

Labrat

What kind of dog do you have, which only eats things that are edible?

Funny as I opened this thread I was eating a banana. Yet the ingredient list did not stop me from finishing it. And ingredient lists in other things will not stop me from eating them. I think it is very difficult to tell whether food additives are truly harmful or benign, especially when looking at long term effects, as it is dependent on so many factors e.g. concentration/amount, interactions with other substances, etc. But I (foolishly perhaps) trust the FDA to do a decent enough job of keeping out the really bad ones. And I choose to live a little bit dangerously in that regard. Just one more thing I don't want to have to worry about. I am probably more likely to be killed getting hit by a car or slipping on ice while out running anyway.

Its fun in the EU that food additives, the so called E-numbers' have to be described as such, even whehn they come from a natural source.

E406 is Agar, E407 is carrageenen (both derived directly from plants, the rough equivalent of plant gelatin).

Now to get back to working with E152.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Hip Redux

A better angle for this piece wouldn't be that Azodicarbonamide is a chemical also used in yoga mats (as is plain old water), but would focus on why the EU and Australia don't allow it as a food additive but the US Canada, and various Asian countries do.

I'm tired of stupid analogies (X is also used in Y, so therefore its crazy to use in Z), and would rather people focused on the safety or otherwise of individual chemicals, and chemical combination.

The dihydrogen monoxide 'joke' as you call it, makes a very serious point, the name something is called can be a whole lot scarier than what the substance actually is.

1.  Yes, I agree completely.

2.  Along the same reason why I find the banana example also silly.

3.  Yes but it doesn't help get us to the better scenario of point #1 at all.  It gets overplayed in this context and you miss the opportunity to actually get to a discussion around the facts at hand.  Instead, we start finding chemical names of innocuous things like water and bananas - when in fact, the particular chemical in question might actually have some health hazards.

Ok, I'm done being geeky for the day.  Big grin

onemile

Panera or Potbellys > Subway but Cousins is the worst. Yuck.

And have you ever noticed that you can always tell when someone has been to Subway? It has a very distinctive smell...

Don't call me Buttercup!

Slightly off topic, but kinda sorta the same........... Have you seen that Subway now has a sub with Fritos on it?  Think Jared and Apollo Ono are eating that one?? 

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

DavePNW

Slightly off topic, but kinda sorta the same........... Have you seen that Subway now has a sub with Fritos on it?  Think Jared and Apollo Ono are eating that one?? 

Well no.

But I still maintain Subway is one of the healthier fast(ish) food options out there. And people define healthy in different ways; I am not looking at a gas chromatography analysis of their ingredients as much as just something lower in fat content. And I can easily get a sandwich with no cheese, mayo or oil (or fritos), and feel OK about it from that standpoint.

Dave

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Bah. Whatdya gonna do? Never eat out? Never buy any packaged foods?

Besides, what could be healthier than yoga?

Lol

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I just buy a bag of chips and put the chips on the sub.  Been doing that for years, Subway. 

Running is dumb.

LRB

I just buy a bag of chips and put the chips on the sub.  Been doing that for years, Subway. 

I did the same thing with mini oreos and a Mc slurry, F'n yummo!

onemile

Well I've been putting chips on my sandwiches since my mom packed my lunch in the first grade. 

happylily

I am not super super health conscious... I was not breastfed as a child and my father smoked like a chimney for 18 years in my presence. I was already doomed from the moment I was born. Plus, I've been told that I have been slowly dying since the day I was born anyway... And lastly, I have of piece of plastic and metal blocking a whole in my heart and it's probably rusting as I'm writing this. So what's a little bit of poopoo in my Subway sandwich anyway? That's my very simple take on it. 

I know, and respect, the basics of healthy eating and living as much as anyone else, but I don't worry about the myriad of little things that are not exactly good for me. If something dangerous is added to something that is sold on the market, I count on my government to intervene and punish the culprit if need be. If it's a bit too late, like in this case, and I've already eaten the sandwich before, then so be it. I'll think of myself as a chemical experiment. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010